ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
lalo_abx

Question 2 linux + 1 Win - No boot - Help needed!

Hello,

I tryed to install Ubuntu 8.04, Kwort Linux 2.4 and Win XP pro.
Win XP is on a disk by itself (sdb), and both linux distros and one ntfs partition on other disk (sda).
I installed the OSes in the following order: 1st Win XP, 2nd Kwort, 3rd Ubuntu.
The sistem boots directly to Win, neither LILO (kwort) was installed, nor GRUB (Ubuntu).

What I've tryed:

1st - Using Supergrub CD to install grub (parameters below), all went fine the machine booted to GRUB presentin the menu, but none of the OS booted when selected - Linux distros always saying 'no such partition' and Win 'failed to load NTLDR(?) press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot'

2nd - Fixed Win MBR and the sistem booted fine to WinXP

3rd - Using Supergrub CD I tried to boot from all partitions that showed on the menu and none(!) booted any of the linux distros only Win XP!

4th - Used Ubuntu LiveCD to see if the partitions were there and all partitions and filesystems were there(!), with Gparted I flagged /dev/sda3 as 'boot' hoping that at least ubuntu would boot, the I repeated the 1st step - the same results occurred, GRUB installed fine but no OS booted!

5th - Tried everything I could with Supergrub CD with no results!

I don't know what to do anymore! Please some Help.

Below are the disk partitions and GRUB parameteres:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda2 1 8510 68356543+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 * 8511 8998 3919860 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 8999 9484 3903795 83 Linux
/dev/sda1 9485 9733 2000092+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 9485 9733 2000061 82 Linux swap / Solaris

/dev/sdb1 * 1 6374 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2 6375 14945 68846557+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5 6375 14945 68846526 7 HPFS/NTFS

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=668604e2-da10-4059-8f90-f2de5ad38f5f ro quiet splash locale=pt_PT
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=UUID=668604e2-da10-4059-8f90-f2de5ad38f5f ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sda4.
title Linux (on /dev/sda4)
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdd4 ro vga = normal
savedefault
boot

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdb1
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lalo_abx; 08-29-2008 at 05:15 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
rjs735
Virus? What I am not sick

Re: 2 linux + 1 Win - No boot - Help needed!

I think you did too much at once.

My approach would have been install 2 systems and then see if they booted correctly before going on.

I am not too versed with grub and Linux. There is web site that has info how to install XP and Linux either one first and second. If you do a search it's documented on this forum.

I would start there. Since I don't know grub but I belive it is multi boot loader. You need to get into the docs to find out what is setup incorrectly. Just getting the answer now doesn't teach you much but by investigating what not setup properly will give you experience for future problems.

Also I see references to Ubuntu, Kwort, Debian,Grub. When you pick something like Ubuntu again my guess you can't mix code from other packages and expect it all to work correctly. Most of these preconfigued ( customized) packages are tested by themselves. Some of the code may run but I bet if you ask debian for Ubuntu help they will send you to UBUNTU. As well as each of these product have their repective support areas.
Asus P2b-F Cel 450 Ram 256MB W98 SE
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Asrock P4combo P4 346 Xp Pro Sp 3 SATA HD SATA DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 XP Media SP2 Sata HD Sata DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 Xp SP2 Asrock 775Dual 550 Xp pro SP2
IBM T23 1.3hz RAM 512MB XP pro SP2
All systems are networked
Konica Minolta Color Laser Samsung clp-315 Color laser
Dlink 655 Dlink G650 Wireless Dlink DNS-323 1TB NAS

Last edited by rjs735; 08-28-2008 at 02:16 PM..
Old 08-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
lalo_abx

Ive done that also:

Win XP + Ubuntu
and
Win XP+ Kwort 2.4

And the same steps with Supergrub CD, the results were always the same: "no such partition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs735 View Post
I think you did too much at once.

My approach would have been install 2 systems and then see if they booted correctly before going on.

I am not too versed with grub and Linux. There is web site that has info how to install XP and Linux either one first and second. If you do a search it's documented on this forum.

I would start there. Since I don't know grub but I belive it is multi boot loader. You need to get into the docs to find out what is setup incorrectly. Just getting the answer now doesn't teach you much but by investigating what not setup properly will give you experience for future problems.

Also I see references to Ubuntu, Kwort, Debian,Grub. When you pick something like Ubuntu again my guess you can't mix code from other packages and expect it all to work correctly. Most of these preconfigued ( customized) packages are tested by themselves. Some of the code may run but I bet if you ask debian for Ubuntu help they will send you to UBUNTU. As well as each of these product have their repective support areas.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

By any chance do you have any usb flash-card readers, or other usb mass storage devices connected? I've found that they can cause grub to get all confused about drive letter designations, particularly if legacy usb support is enabled in the bios.

Regards,

-- Al
Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
lalo_abx

No USB devices connected.

Only the 2 hard drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctal View Post
By any chance do you have any usb flash-card readers, or other usb mass storage devices connected? I've found that they can cause grub to get all confused about drive letter designations, particularly if legacy usb support is enabled in the bios.

Regards,

-- Al

Old 08-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
rjs735
Virus? What I am not sick

Here's the ref post regarding dual boot linux and xp

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/f32/du...ir-112456.html
Asus P2b-F Cel 450 Ram 256MB W98 SE
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Asrock P4combo P4 346 Xp Pro Sp 3 SATA HD SATA DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 XP Media SP2 Sata HD Sata DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 Xp SP2 Asrock 775Dual 550 Xp pro SP2
IBM T23 1.3hz RAM 512MB XP pro SP2
All systems are networked
Konica Minolta Color Laser Samsung clp-315 Color laser
Dlink 655 Dlink G650 Wireless Dlink DNS-323 1TB NAS
Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Does memtest86+ run when you choose that menu entry?

The menu.lst file looks good. Though I don't know why you chose to use this Subergrub CD instead of just letting e.g. the Ubuntu installer put Grub on the MBR.

Use
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
Old 08-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area, but during my own limited experience dual-booting XP and Ubuntu I had all kinds of problems with drive reference inconsistencies involving grub, not just the ones I mentioned that were caused by a flash-card reader. And I'm not referring to differences between numbering starting with 0 and numbering starting with 1, which I was well aware of. It seemed as if between grub, linux, and the bios, the drives were being counted in a different order (although I had three hard drives, as well as two optical drives, so it was a more complex situation).

When the grub screen comes up, I'd suggest pressing "e" twice to edit the entry you want to boot, and changing "root (hd0,2)" to "root (hd1,2)," and seeing what happens. You won't be hurting anything, because the change will not persist on subsequent reboots until and unless you edit menu.lst.

In my own case (yours will be different, but just to give you an idea of what I ran into), grub installed referencing "root (hd1,2)" and I had to change that to "root (hd0,2)" to get it to boot. The system drive (containing both os's and the swap partition) and one of the other drives were sata, while the remaining drive was ide, and I suspect that mix may have contributed to the problem.

Finally, I think that under "4th" in your first post, you meant to say sda3, not sdb3. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Regards,
-- Al

Last edited by ctal; 08-28-2008 at 07:45 PM..
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
lalo_abx

The memtest86+ dont run, I get the same: 'no such partition'

I used SGD because Ubuntu would not install GRUB in the MBR, only installed it once and the result was the same as always: 'no such partition'for linux and 'failed to load NTLDR(?) press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot'

There must be somethng wrong with ...something that I havent figured out yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0NG0 View Post
Does memtest86+ run when you choose that menu entry?

The menu.lst file looks good. Though I don't know why you chose to use this Subergrub CD instead of just letting e.g. the Ubuntu installer put Grub on the MBR.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
lalo_abx

You're right I meant sda3 (fixed already)

What makes me wonder about this all situation, is that I used to have Ubuntu 7.x installed with windows XP with GRUB and everything worked fine!
When I installed 8.04 LTS again was when all went wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctal View Post
I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area, but during my own limited experience dual-booting XP and Ubuntu I had all kinds of problems with drive reference inconsistencies involving grub, not just the ones I mentioned that were caused by a flash-card reader. And I'm not referring to differences between numbering starting with 0 and numbering starting with 1, which I was well aware of. It seemed as if between grub, linux, and the bios, the drives were being counted in a different order (although I had three hard drives, as well as two optical drives, so it was a more complex situation).

When the grub screen comes up, I'd suggest pressing "e" twice to edit the entry you want to boot, and changing "root (hd0,2)" to "root (hd1,2)," and seeing what happens. You won't be hurting anything, because the change will not persist on subsequent reboots until and unless you edit menu.lst.

In my own case (yours will be different, but just to give you an idea of what I ran into), grub installed referencing "root (hd1,2)" and I had to change that to "root (hd0,2)" to get it to boot. The system drive (containing both os's and the swap partition) and one of the other drives were sata, while the remaining drive was ide, and I suspect that mix may have contributed to the problem.

Finally, I think that under "4th" in your first post, you meant to say sda3, not sdb3. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Regards,
-- Al

Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
lalo_abx

The problem is fixed. I tryed 2 solutions and both worked:

1st solution
Installed Wingrub GUI and made the NTLDR give me te option to boot Win or the Grub list. When Win is choosed it loads with no problems.
When the grub option is loaded, I can boot both linux distros. The list also show WinXP as an option but doesn't load it(NTLDR missing!)

2nd solution
With Supergrub CD I fixed the win boot @ hdb mbr (SATA) and installed grub @ hda mbr (IDE)...in the bios changed the primary boot from hdb to hda and also worked.

Thanks to those who replyed, hope this thread help those with similar problems.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalo_abx View Post
With Supergrub CD I fixed the win boot @ hdb mbr (SATA) and installed grub @ hda mbr (IDE)...in the bios changed the primary boot from hdb to hda and also worked.
Thanks for letting us know. Based on both your experience and mine (described above), it certainly seems that grub can get mixed up when both a sata drive and an ide drive are present.

Regards,
-- Al