ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
XJ.

Question Best way to setup multi-gpu config

Well, on this, the day I've finally passed the 1/2 Million point mark - I will be receiving a second 9600 GT via UPS. For those of you who have already setup multiple cards, would you please point me to the best thread for this task (usually overclockers.com, hardocp, etc have better guides than the official FAH site).

Thanks!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
VSEKH
Fold for ABX

Re: Best way to setup multi-gpu config

Try the guide on Stanford's page:

Folding@home - WinGPUGuide

Vista will not utilize the 2nd video card unless you have a monitor connected to it. If you monitor has 2 separate connections, then you can plug a cable between the 2nd monitor connection and the 2nd video card. Once you have done these, just extend the desktop so that Vista will allow you to fold with the 2nd video card. Follow the steps in the above link to setup 2 separate folders and 2 shortcuts.

If you are running XP, you can just extend the desktop and use both video cards.

I plan on installing a 2nd video card in one of my systems below soon. Let us know if you are able to get 2 gpu clients folding.
Folding Rig:Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6, QX9650 cooled with a Zalman 9700NT, Powercolor X300SE, Audigy2zs, 4G DDR2-800 Mushkin memory, Plextor PX-760, Pair of 74GB WD Raptors in Raid0 & Seagate 750GB SATA drives, PC Power & Cooling 610 watt PSU, Coolermaster Cosmos case

Gaming Rig: Asus Maximus Formula SE, Intel QX9650 cooled with a Zalman 9700NT, EVGA 8800GTX, 4GB of GSkill DDR2-1000, Audigy XFi fatality, Samsung 203B, Pair of 150GB WD Raptors in Raid0 & 1TB Hitachi Sata hard drives, PC Power & Cooling 750 watt PSU, Coolermaster Stacker STC-T01 case

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
XJ.

I'm running Vista64. My monitor does have two inputs and cables so I'm all set there. I'll let y'all know how it works out!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
XJ.

Well, the Stanford guide worked just fine (for Vista64). GPU 0 runs a bit faster than GPU 1 for some reason. GPU 0 also runs hotter, but that's because it is above GPU 1 in the case. I think I'll try and put my 120mm 85cfm Panaflo in the front fan intake to cool things down a bit (at the expense of some added noise).

After market cools would do the job w/less noise - but most of them cost >25% of the cost of the cards! If I ever build a high end GPU folder, it would be worth the investment.

Can't wait till the new core comes out for nVidia GPUs. It should run a bit cooler and faster on the larger proteins.

Cheers,
-XJ

Oh, no lag problems, except the cores need to be shut off to play games.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
XJ.

BTW, anyone know a good tool for overclocking dual GPUs?? I'm having problems with RivaTuner.

TY!
XJ