ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #46
mindx2

Re: Fallout 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
obviously buggy?...according to who?...so all the sites giving such high praise to the game are all being bribed? ...sounds like someone is cranky or just hating on Bethseda...even if they really did give the game a 3 out of 10, I would trust a more widespread collection of reviews over any 1 in particular (to eliminate any biases)...along with reviews from well known and trusted sources
Sorry Polonyc2, I don't trust ANY game magazines or websites when it comes to reviews. First ALL of their advertising dollars come from the very same companies that "grant" them exclusives, first reviews, hotel rooms for private screenings, etc. The list goes on and on. I remember the bliss over Oblivion when it first came out. How many 10 out of 10 and five star reviews were there on the first day. Then slowly we start hearing the truth come out... level scaling, horrid voice acting (heck there were only about 5 of them in the game except for Picard ), absolutely no choices or consequences, generic dungeons and fantasy cliches...

Since this is the exact same company that made Oblivion I'm going to wait awhile on this one and see what people are saying a few weeks from now once the hype machine has died away.
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN 3 / Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) / 2 x EVGA 2GB GTX 560 PCI-e / Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III / WD VelociRaptor 500GB / 2 Western Digital Green 500GB SATA / Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI-e / SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA / NZXT Phantom 820 Matte Black Steel ATX Full Tower / CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W / ViewSonic VA243wm LCD / Windows 7 Home Premium- 64
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #47
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindx2 View Post
I remember the bliss over Oblivion when it first came out. How many 10 out of 10 and five star reviews were there on the first day. Then slowly we start hearing the truth come out... level scaling, horrid voice acting (heck there were only about 5 of them in the game except for Picard ), absolutely no choices or consequences, generic dungeons and fantasy cliches...

so I'm curious what score you would give Oblivion?...you hated Oblivion and thought it was a terrible game?...as far as review sites go I agree with what you've said but if that were the case no 'big' games would ever get bad reviews...as far as your complaints about Oblivion, those issues WERE mentioned in the initial reviews of the game but the game was still rated high in spite of those issues...or are you saying that those issues were not mentioned at all in any review?

you're way too hard on Oblivion based on your belief that it was not a carbon copy of Morrowwind...so again I ask, what score would you give Oblivion?
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)
Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #48
mindx2

I thought that Oblivion was an outstanding visual feast.... for the first hour of gameplay. I was, like many, stunned by it's graphics when I first walked out of the first sewer. It wasn't until later that I started to notice that EVERYTHING was basically the same generic "fantasy look". Same ruins, same houses, same trees (thanks SpeedTree), etc. Then I found out about the level and loot scaling and of course hearing the begger's voice suddenly change in mid-conversation to that of a upper-class citizen topped it off. Nothing I did in that world mattered... Nothing! For an empire about to be overrun by dark hoardes everyone pretty much went about their business... even with an Oblivion Gate right next door!

It seemed most reviewers were awed like I was at first and only played a little bit of the game (have to rush out those first exclusive reviews, no time to actually play all of the game!!). So if I had reviewed Oblivion I would have given it a 6 out of 10. No, I'll change that and say a 7 out of 10. I give it an extra point for the one saving grace for this game... The Tool Set. What the mods have done to change the flaws of this game are amazing. I think many of them (OOO being the one that comes to mind first) put the people at Bethesda to shame. Hopfully, Fallout 3 will see the release of mod tools like Oblivion... I mean heck it IS the EXACT same engine (sure reminds me of Oblivion from the screenshots, they have ORCS... Oh... I mean Super Mutants in it !

Oh and just so you know I actually thought Morrowind was a step down from Daggerfall as an cRPG is concerned. Though it had an excellent setting. Much more interesting than Oblivion's.
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN 3 / Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) / 2 x EVGA 2GB GTX 560 PCI-e / Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III / WD VelociRaptor 500GB / 2 Western Digital Green 500GB SATA / Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI-e / SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA / NZXT Phantom 820 Matte Black Steel ATX Full Tower / CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W / ViewSonic VA243wm LCD / Windows 7 Home Premium- 64
Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #49
polonyc2
Legacy

started the game...wow, so much to like...

Graphics: the game scales amazingly well...I'm playing at 1920 x 1440, AA= 4X, AF= 8X, and all graphical settings at their highest and the game is smooth as can be with great frame rates...I think I can raise the resolution even higher...character/facial animations are not the greatest but when looking at everything the game offers as a whole this is a minor quip

I'm very early on but the level of immersion is unlike any game I've ever played...you can interact with almost everything and everybody...so many little details which enhance the gameworld

-choice/consequence is already being displayed very early on and it really feels like you're making real choices...we'll see how it affects my character later on...but you can lie, steal, be polite, angry etc etc...the dialogue options are much better then Oblivion

-this doesn't feel like Oblivion to me at all...the fact that the game starts you off on the day you were born and allows you to age and progress is a nice touch

but again the immersion is the best part of this game...

I literally do not want to stop playing...the game is that ****** good

Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 10-29-2008, 03:02 AM   #50
polonyc2
Legacy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (215.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (199.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 30.jpg (235.8 KB, 3 views)
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #51
polonyc2
Legacy

the dialogue options are so extensive in this game...and they branch out into so many different directions...I find myself quicksaving and trying out all the different dialog options but they sometimes lead you into another direction altogether which changes your character...and unlike Oblivion which only had 3 dialogue options to choose from, this game sometimes gives you 6 options to choose from

The V.A.T.S combat system and Pip-Boy3000 are very user friendly and great additions to the game

I havn't even left the Vault yet as I'm exploring every inch of the place and talking to every character...this game has the potential to be a Top 5 all time great if it keeps going the way it is...amazing job Bethesda!

**for some reason the screenshots are being cut off a bit at the bottom...don't know why
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #52
polonyc2
Legacy

I'm been reading/posting on other gaming forums where even the most jaded/hardcore Fallout fans have been impressed with the scope of this game...it seems like there are always certain people who seem to want to hate/complain about any heavily hyped game and even they seemed to have dissipated...this is truly a game that has to be experienced

just for kicks I decided to play the entire opening Vault level over again, using 1 different 'major' dialogue option along with some othe minor ones and damn it changed some critical points in the story...there still seems to be a lot more to do but I can't seem to find how to 'unlock' those parts

Fallout 3= sure fire Game of the Year
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #53
polonyc2
Legacy

because of the success of the new Fallout game I wonder if people will start referring to the next Elder Scrolls game as 'Fallout with swords'

Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #54
Wingit
Palm Rat

Quote:
because of the success of the new Fallout game I wonder if people will start referring to the next Elder Scrolls game as 'Fallout with swords'

2nd post

Blue's News: News Comments

With the exception of a few niggles such as no "drawbacks" to perks, the rather cardboard animations a la Oblivion, a perceived "dulling" of trademark Fallout humor (JMO), and it feeling a bit too easy to get weapons,etc (maybe I need to increase difficulty...left it on default for 1st run through), I would tend to agree with you polonyc2...this is a well-implemented game...certainly superior to Crysis Warhead or Far Cry 2 (both way too consolized). You can feel the influence of console decisions, but to a minimal degree...I think Bethesda has done a very creditable job within the constraints of prevailing market philosophy...the good reviews are well deserved IMO...at least so far..I am not beyond Megaton, as I too prefer a more leisurely pace when enjoying an A list title. The highest compliment I can pay this game is that it seems a true Fallout game.
Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1, 4790k Haswell I7, Noctua U14S cooler w/ 2nd fan in push/pull, 16gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident X 2400, EVGA GTX 980ti FTW 6gb Video, HP 2711x Display, LG Blu-ray, Creative Z series sound, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD OS drive, WD Black 2tb Data drive, in Corsair Carbide AIR540 case, powered by Corsair HX750i, Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse, Ducky Shine 5 keyboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Wingit; 10-30-2008 at 10:39 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #55
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingit View Post
2nd post

Blue's News: News Comments

With the exception of a few niggles such as no "drawbacks" to perks, the rather cardboard animations a la Oblivion, a perceived "dulling" of trademark Fallout humor (JMO), and it feeling a bit too easy to get weapons,etc (maybe I need to increase difficulty...left it on default for 1st run through), I would tend to agree with you polonyc2...this is a well-implemented game...certainly superior to Crysis Warhead or Far Cry 2 (both way too consolized). You can feel the influence of console decisions, but to a minimal degree...I think Bethesda has done a very creditable job within the constraints of prevailing market philosophy...the good reviews are well deserved IMO...at least so far..I am not beyond Megaton, as I too prefer a more leisurely pace when enjoying an A list title. The highest compliment I can pay this game is that it seems a true Fallout game.
good to know you like the game as well Wingit!...I know people expressed concerns earlier about the skills/perks aspect of the game and whether or it not it would be implemented in true RPG fashion and although it does seem a bit consolized this is about as good as I've seen in a game in awhile

sure there are things to criticize in the game but the game is immensely entertaining overall...I don't see this as 'Oblivion with guns' whatsoever and I havn't been this 'into' a game in years...the fact that it runs flawlessly at extremely high resolutions is another plus...I literally do not want to 'exit' the game

I also like to take my time in games and explore...although with this game it seems it might be too much to do within the confines of your character/choices during 1 run through...I'm literally opening every drawer, locker, cabinet and finding lots of goodies...havn't had any issues with low ammo or weapons yet either
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #56
polonyc2
Legacy

Wingit: in the beginning of the game inside the Vault, I noticed several 'unaccesible' areas and rooms...and also some computer terminals that required a key of some kind...I looked everywhere for a way of getting into those rooms but could not find one...is there a way of accessing all these rooms?...is it based on how you talk to certain NPC's?

also how are you playing the game---good, evil, neutral?
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 10-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #57
Wingit
Palm Rat

Quote:
Wingit: in the beginning of the game inside the Vault, I noticed several 'unaccesible' areas and rooms...and also some computer terminals that required a key of some kind...I looked everywhere for a way of getting into those rooms but could not find one...is there a way of accessing all these rooms?...is it based on how you talk to certain NPC's?
You are being a bit more thorough than I in the vault, but I did not find a way to get into certain areas before I decided to exit (was excited to see outside, lol! ) Your theory on talking to NPCs the "right" way would certainly be consistant with typical Fallout gameplay though and is something I will certainly investigate upon 2nd play through!

Quote:
also how are you playing the game---good, evil, neutral?
So far a kind of good/neutral blend with the occasional evil urge...I fully intend to nuke Megaton at some point ..The original games sort of imbued me with the knowledge that a few more interesting paths opened with a judicious application of sugar

Could definitely be a GOTY candidate...ESP if a toolset is released...Man, what a job modders could do with this one!
Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1, 4790k Haswell I7, Noctua U14S cooler w/ 2nd fan in push/pull, 16gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident X 2400, EVGA GTX 980ti FTW 6gb Video, HP 2711x Display, LG Blu-ray, Creative Z series sound, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD OS drive, WD Black 2tb Data drive, in Corsair Carbide AIR540 case, powered by Corsair HX750i, Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse, Ducky Shine 5 keyboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #58
WhiteEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaz1029 View Post
Very doubtful. The system will likely take the $10 off before the 25%.
Nope. I tried it yesterday. They took 25% off the 14.99, then took the $10 gift card. My wife decided that my son would get this package for me for Christmas when I mentioned it to her.

But now, I have to wait until then. At least, it should be patched by then.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #59
polonyc2
Legacy

the dialogue seems much more 'alive' in this game compared with Oblivion...each conversation seems to have a purpose and implications which extend to other characters and situations...I decided to wander around a bit before going to Megaton...came across a place called Springdale I believe but it got to be nighttime pretty quickly and became very dark which made it hard to explore so I decided to head up to Megaton

you mentioned the humor aspect...I find the game quite funny at points...the robot in the Vault, some of the G.O.A.T questions cracked me up as well

Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 10-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #60
zsaz1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEclipse View Post
Nope. I tried it yesterday. They took 25% off the 14.99, then took the $10 gift card. My wife decided that my son would get this package for me for Christmas when I mentioned it to her.

But now, I have to wait until then. At least, it should be patched by then.
Wow, I'm pretty surprised. That's like a store that has a deal to buy one of something and get one of something else half-off. You always pay full price on the more costly item. I kinda imagine that's a programming error in the register. But it's pretty awesome!

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----