ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 12-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Skyhawk

Is it possible to move a folder with one click?

Is it possible to move the files in one folder to another folder using a desktop icon with one click? I need to "move" the files so that the source folder is empty upon completion. I'm running WinXP Pro on a PC.

Hope someone can figure this out since I have to do it periodically and it's such a hassle to do it manually step-by-step. Thanks.
Skyhawk
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Gorganzola

Re: Is it possible to move a folder with one click?

If it is always the same source folder and the same destination folder then yes this can be done. It'd have to be a double click though, haha.

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in public.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Skyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorganzola View Post
If it is always the same source folder and the same destination folder then yes this can be done. It'd have to be a double click though, haha.
Yes, it will always be the same source and destination folders. Could you list the step-by-step procedure to do it?

Thanks,
Skyhawk
Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
Skyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk View Post
Yes, it will always be the same source and destination folders. Could you list the step-by-step procedure to do it?
Anyone?

=
Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
Valium
Gotta hav'em :D

Well easiest way I think would be to write a batch file, google for it, you should be able to make it work on your own, it's pretty easy. And to be honest, it'll teach you something and might help you out in the future instead of just copying what somebody else made for you.

Greetz

Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
DBoone
Just call me Dave

I agree. Shouldn't be too hard. If you can't make it work let us know and I'm sure someone will help you out.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Skyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valium_abx View Post
Well easiest way I think would be to write a batch file, google for it, you should be able to make it work on your own, it's pretty easy. And to be honest, it'll teach you something and might help you out in the future instead of just copying what somebody else made for you.
Greetz
Hi Greetz,

I had already tried that but could not get the DOS move cmd to work just running it from the cmd line. I created two test folders on my data drive h: named test1 and test2. I copied 3 files into folder test1. Here's the command I used:

c:\Documents and Settings\Dad>move h:\test1\*.* h:\test2

Dos would just move the cursor down two lines and redisplay the prompt "c:\Documents and Settings\Dad>" without doing anything. When I opened the two test folders, the 3 files were still in folder "test1" and folder "test2" was still empty. I tried various things for about 10 minutes and it wouldn't work so I posted my question.

I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong,
Skyhawk
Old 12-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
DBoone
Just call me Dave

MS-DOS move command help

Check out that link.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
Skyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk View Post
Hi Greetz,

I had already tried that but could not get the DOS move cmd to work just running it from the cmd line. I created two test folders on my data drive h: named test1 and test2. I copied 3 files into folder test1. Here's the command I used:

c:\Documents and Settings\Dad>move h:\test1\*.* h:\test2

Dos would just move the cursor down two lines and redisplay the prompt "c:\Documents and Settings\Dad>" without doing anything. When I opened the two test folders, the 3 files were still in folder "test1" and folder "test2" was still empty. I tried various things for about 10 minutes and it wouldn't work so I posted my question.

I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong,
Skyhawk
Well I'll be darned. I powered off for the night and rebooted this morning. The move command above worked. I was able to create a desktop shortcut and move the files. (FWIW, I've been having problems getting icons to appear in the system tray by the clock also. My WinXP Pro seems to be flakey. But that's a subject for another thread if I can't figure it out.)

But now I've run into another problem. I'm having problems with long file names and file names that have a space in them. Here's what I'm trying to do:

I want to move the contents of:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Desktop
-to-
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

I tried using the ~1 trick like "Docume~1" but can't figure out how to use the ~1 with "All Users".

Any help for this?
Thanks,
Skyhawk
Old 12-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
DBoone
Just call me Dave

Go to the site in link I posted. One of their faq sections deals with long file names.

Information about long file names

Last edited by DBoone; 12-30-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: edited to add another link
Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Skyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoone View Post
Go to the site in link I posted. One of their faq sections deals with long file names.

Information about long file names
Using the quotes on the long folder names worked. Got it all to work now and it does it with a single click...

Thanks!
Skyhawk

Last edited by Skyhawk; 12-30-2008 at 07:09 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
khanshab

No, it is not possible
Old 02-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Skyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanshab View Post
No, it is not possible
Already did it.