ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
traveler
Where to next?

How do I delete drop down box items?

The drop down box items in FireFox are getting filled with items I don't want. For example: Log in user names; search items and words; etc.

How do I selectively delete certain ones showing in the drop down box?

:???:
Lian Li 343B cube case / PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Crossfire Edition
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Brian

Re: How do I delete drop down box items?

When you see the items showing up in the drop box, you should be able to selectively delete them by moving the down arrow key to the item(s) you want to delete and, while a particular item is highlighted, hit the Delete key.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
polonyc2
Legacy

on a related note...how do I get rid of the titles that are listed in the drop down address bar in Firefox 3?...I want it to only display the url of the website I am visiting...I don't want to see the title of the website listed etc...it takes up way too much space and looks cluttered...how do I get rid of the titles?
G.Skill PI Series 6GB (3 X 2GB) DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
on a related note...how do I get rid of the titles that are listed in the drop down address bar in Firefox 3?...I want it to only display the url of the website I am visiting...I don't want to see the title of the website listed etc...it takes up way too much space and looks cluttered...how do I get rid of the titles?
found the solution...had to install an extension called 'oldbar 1.2' which makes the location (URL) bar look like Firefox 2...now everything looks normal again...apparently this new location bar on Firefox 3 is called the 'Awesome Bar'...don't see anything awesome about it

IE8 is using the same corny feature which adds a whole bunch of stuff to the location bar...but disabling it in IE8 is simpler...don't know why these browsers are adding all this extra stuff which just clutters up the location bar
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
When you see the items showing up in the drop box, you should be able to selectively delete them by moving the down arrow key to the item(s) you want to delete and, while a particular item is highlighted, hit the Delete key.

It doesn't work.

Go to the google search page and see.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
traveler
Where to next?

Quote:
found the solution...had to install an extension called 'oldbar 1.2' which makes the location (URL) bar look like Firefox 2...now everything looks normal again...apparently this new location bar on Firefox 3 is called the 'Awesome Bar'...don't see anything awesome about it

IE8 is using the same corny feature which adds a whole bunch of stuff to the location bar...but disabling it in IE8 is simpler...don't know why these browsers are adding all this extra stuff which just clutters up the location bar

Same here. Thanks for the extention info.

Why do they do it you ask!!! Because there are a lot of people who want to pretend they are improving something, when they really are not. It should be a standard option. It takes up too much space using two lines.

Same thing with the tab closing buttons. The closing button was always at the right. Now you got to hunt all over the top tabs to find the red 'x' to close the tabbed page you want - Make sure you don't click on the wrong one now! Want to close a lot of tabs - now move the mouse all over the place instead of just keeping it on the single close tab x. It should be an option if you want a close tab x on every tab.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

You use shift+delete to delete stuff from the location bar drop-down. Up/down to the entry and hit shift+delete -- gone.

You close a tab easily by middle-clicking it (wheel-click, that is). The old way only allowed you to close the currently selected tab, which is kinda sucky. I'm quite sure there's at least one extension that brings back the old way for Firefox 3.

Firefox is awesome because you can define what awesome is yourself, using extensions.

I don't think it takes up too much space, rather the opposite. Once you start thinking in terms not just related to the URL, you'll like it. All new UI mean you may have to start thinking differently.

Generally they don't just pull these UI modifications out of a random fire fox's behind. Mozilla does user studies, paper models and use various metrics for cognitive load and whatnot. I find both the changes mentioned here to be rather large improvements over Firefox 2, especially since I started understanding how to leverage them to my advantage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
zsaz1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
It doesn't work.

Go to the google search page and see.
It does work. For the rest of us.

Quote:
Now you got to hunt all over the top tabs to find the red 'x' to close the tabbed page you want
I just click the tab with the scroll wheel. Works for me.

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
zsaz1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0NG0 View Post
I don't think it takes up too much space, rather the opposite. Once you start thinking in terms not just related to the URL, you'll like it. All new UI mean you may have to start thinking differently.
Totally agree. I don't always remember where I saw something, and the ability to find a page by simply typing in what it was ABOUT, is awesome to me!

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaz1029 View Post
Totally agree. I don't always remember where I saw something, and the ability to find a page by simply typing in what it was ABOUT, is awesome to me!
can't you do the same thing using Google/search bar?...I think it's overkill...I don't need 'suggestions' popping up every time a type in a few letters or 'related websites'...if I wanted those things I would specifically go look for them...to each his own but for me personally it's information overload
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
zsaz1029

Quote:
can't you do the same thing using Google/search bar?
If I didn't find it THROUGH Google and don't wanna spend possible hours sifting through their results. No.

Quote:
...I think it's overkill...I don't need 'suggestions' popping up every time a type in a few letters or 'related websites'...if I wanted those things I would specifically go look for them...to each his own but for me personally it's information overload
I may be mistaken, kONGO would likely know better, but I think changing the following line in about:config to TRUE would change that behavior.

browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped

-----
-----

Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaz1029 View Post
If I didn't find it THROUGH Google and don't wanna spend possible hours sifting through their results. No.
so you're saying that this new feature gives you better results then Google?...how is that possible, is Mozilla using some kind of advanced algorithm to get these results?...kONGO might know...
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
zsaz1029

I think you may have missed that I was talking about finding my way back to a page that I'd already seen, but couldn't remember where. Essentially searching my browser history by url, page title, keyword, etc.

-----
-----

Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

matchOnlyTyped makes it only match URLs you've typed in yourself.

Use
-

Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

There is loose talk of creating a full text index of browsed pages and have the location bar search through it as well. It probably won't be in Firefox 4 even, but it's an interesting concept for the future methinks.

The AwesomeBar only searches history and bookmarks. I.e. only sites you have visited. It doesn't interface with search engines, although it's possible to use Google's AJAX-based search API and slice in web searches in real-time as well if you were so inclined (and wrote the extension, of course).

Use
-