ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Hondamaker

Lightbulb Need Web site creation info please

I'm wanting to start a local website similar to Angie's List, or any other website that allows people to become a member and leave comments/reviews about services and such. Something not quite as complex and involved as Angie's List, just a smaller version for my county and surrounding areas. I don't know what kind of software I need, if any, to create the website. All I know how to do is simple wysiwyg stuff. Can anyone steer me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
traveler
Where to next?

Last time I checked Dreamweaver was the industry standard software for website creation. Whatever you wanted to do, Dreamweaver had a plug in to do it.

I never used Dreamweaver. The closest I got to it was downloading the trial edition a few years back.

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 / Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 Speaker System /
Lian Li 343B cube case / PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Crossfire Edition /
IOGEAR GCS1782 GCS1782 Dual-Link DVI KVMP switch with 7.1 audio
Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
Hondamaker

Re: Need Web site creation info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
Last time I checked Dreamweaver was the industry standard software for website creation. Whatever you wanted to do, Dreamweaver had a plug in to do it.

I never used Dreamweaver. The closest I got to it was downloading the trial edition a few years back.

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 / Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 Speaker System /
Lian Li 343B cube case / PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Crossfire Edition /
IOGEAR GCS1782 GCS1782 Dual-Link DVI KVMP switch with 7.1 audio
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
acewebdesign

Thumbs up Re: Need Web site creation info please

Why Use a PHP Framework? The Benefits Explained

I first started looking into PHP frameworks last year, looking at a variety of frameworks including cake, symfony and finally Zend Framework.

When I got around to Zend Framework I was nearly ready to give up in programming with a framework, as I didn't have a clear understanding of the MVC style of programming.

When I began looking into it I found though, that this is something that when I get used to the different style of coding, could save a valuable amount of time, and allow me to offer features to clients, that previously just would not be cost effective.

The main benefits of using a php framework I have found are as follows:

Time saving - The amount of time saved by not having to type in complex code in a lot of situations cuts the time of many projects by over 50% in most cases.

Reuse of code - Many web sites that you develop have common features. Because of the way that each part of the code is separate, you are able to copy over controllers, models and view folders to the next project. An example of this is that in every project that requires a content management system(CMS) we are able to copy across the login system. Something that used to be quite a time consuming process. Now we copy it across, and add the users, and we are set to go.

Access to services API's - with the way that the web is moving these days, having the ability to twitter, yahoo and Google amongst others is a great way of expanding a web site with ease.

Community assistance - There is a large community out there which is always willing to help. When you are proficient with the framework, you can also assist others, which will also improve your coding experience.(Not to mention the warm fuzzy feeling that you get for helping)

Easy plugin creation - When you have a feature you want to add to the framework, just simply create a plugin, in a directory that you can copy to all your projects. I created a image resizing plugin, which allows me to upload an image and resize it with 3 lines of code. Unbelievable, when you consider how long this would usually take and the best thing is, once I made it, I have this feature available in all future projects. The time saving benefits can be enormous.

I still have a long way to go with learning many of the features, but with the rapid progress that I'm making with learning Zend Framework, the future is looking bright, and I may be able to spend more time on other areas such as marketing for our Adelaide Web Design customers web sites and bringing in exciting new features to their web sites.

Paul Purczel is an Adelaide Web Designer specializing in Content Management systems, Ecommerce web sites and Search Engine Optimization
Old 04-24-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
triforce

You should install wordpress and integrate buddypress. Buddypress is very good tool for community websites.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
as a term will become obsolete in five or six years
Old 06-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
vashu321

You need to have good knowledge of about the HTML and other langauage like php or Asp.net, so you can develop the good one site. You have also good one experience with the dreamviewer or photoshop so that you can easily deveope the site.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #7
Helen Hughes

I would recommend Wordpress. You can find a lot of themes that meets your requirements.