ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
chuckbam
Personal Advocate

I think I am sticking w/ Vista .... ie8!

I think I am sticking with Vista. It is running great and I customize the hell out of it.

Is there some kind of performance benefit with Win7 ? I have more than enough resources to run Vista.

And I don't like ie8. The trend is for a lighter browser and they came out with this monster. I will stay with ie7 thank You.

--
Intel i7-4930K (Turbo 4.6 GHz), ASUS P9X79, Corsair Hydro Series H100i, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical (1866 @ 9-9-9-27 T2), EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB (Short Size), Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD, Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner, SeaSonic 750W 80 Plus Gold, Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Case.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Rick_EE
Sent from my PC

Re: I think I am sticking w/ Vista .... ie8!

Have you tried the accelerators in IE8? For me this is one of the biggest improvements in a browser since the tabs. In my case, to highlight an item, right click and google search is awsome.

I have to admit that I really don't care about performance hits if I like a feature.

Looking at your sig, I agree that you probably won't notice a performance differenct. Here is a rundown of some feature differences. Windows 7 vs. Vista - the major features make the new OS better
Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
sammy2066
ABX Public Relations

Windows 7 is a definite step up from Vista in terms of speed, reliability and features. If you have a rig that handles Vista decently, then Windows 7 would screeeeam on that thing.

You don't HAVE to use IE8 on Windows 7. Buy the E editions, and you get to pick what browser you want to use.
Most users ever online was 1,377, 04-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
danrow55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2066 View Post
Windows 7 is a definite step up from Vista in terms of speed, reliability and features. If you have a rig that handles Vista decently, then Windows 7 would screeeeam on that thing.
My neighbor has 7 and swears by it. I'm thinking of switching.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
chuckbam
Personal Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_EE View Post
Have you tried the accelerators in IE8? For me this is one of the biggest improvements in a browser since the tabs. In my case, to highlight an item, right click and google search is awsome.

I have to admit that I really don't care about performance hits if I like a feature.

Looking at your sig, I agree that you probably won't notice a performance differenct. Here is a rundown of some feature differences. Windows 7 vs. Vista - the major features make the new OS better
Most of the security features I would disable. The only thing I would want (that I can see) is the updated Experience Index.

I do like that the 32-bit ver reads more than 3.5GB of RAM. But, I have the 64-bit Vista and using 12GB of memory. My notebook flys with 2GBs and a stripped down Vista 32-bit.

Don't get me wrong, on a new system, I would buy Win7 (unless Vista was real cheap). Just don't see any reason to "upgrade".

-
Intel i7-4930K (Turbo 4.6 GHz), ASUS P9X79, Corsair Hydro Series H100i, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical (1866 @ 9-9-9-27 T2), EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB (Short Size), Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD, Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner, SeaSonic 750W 80 Plus Gold, Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Case.

Last edited by chuckbam; 08-07-2009 at 12:33 AM..
Old 08-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #6
polonyc2
Legacy

I agree about sticking with Vista...I have 2 hard drives setup (one with Vista SP2 and one with W7 RC1)...I switch back and forth between them and Vista is exactly the same as W7...a few layout and formatting issues aside, if you are happy with Vista, stick with it...W7's main advantage over Vista is much better SSD compatibility/performance...(but if you don't own an SSD and don't plan to anytime in the near future then that advantage is mute)...W7 also uses less system resources and does a feel a bit more snappy...but that aside they are one and the same

even gaming performance is pretty much equal across both platforums

ATI Catalyst 9.7 and Nvidia GeForce 190.38 Drivers in Windows 7 - X-bit labs

I actually also like W7's Aero look a bit better as well...the ability to close out thumbnail previews is very helpful...I still might upgrade to W7, not for any particular reason but just because I can...might not happen right away but overall I am extremely happy with Vista

W7 is for people who are still using XP or older OS's and got scared off by the perception that Vista is evil...those with Vista have zero need to upgrade (especially with DX11 being made available for Vista and not being a W7 exclusive like DX10 was with Vista)
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)
Old 08-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
chuckbam
Personal Advocate

I was just reading about the SSD performance benefits about Win7. Intel may update the Intel Matrix Storage driver for better SSD performance as well. Time ill tell.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbam View Post
I was just reading about the SSD performance benefits about Win7. Intel may update the Intel Matrix Storage driver for better SSD performance as well. Time ill tell.
I really hope so, and soon...
As I running SSD's in RAID-O
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #9
Vheox

I have a dual boot between Vista and Win7... the only times I go into Vista is b/c there is no driver support for my 6 year old webcam in W7.

I gave this old system I had to a buddy of mine... It could run Win XP... and by run, I mean survive. It was a 2.5ish AMD, and ATI 9550, 1 Gb Ram, pretty old stuff. I formatted the thing before I gave it to him b/c everything was starting to die, and when I was reinstalling the OS I figured out I had lost the CD key for Win XP. Good times! So I installed W7 on there... worked like a charm, with transparency and everything!

W7 is what Vista should have been. I work with a lot of MSFT server guys, and they all agree. W7 all the way.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Vheox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbam View Post
And I don't like ie8. The trend is for a lighter browser and they came out with this monster. I will stay with ie7 thank You.
--
By the way... MSFT only cares for its business customers. If they made a browser the way they did, it's because their corporate customer base asked them to make it that way. I used to support MSFT Live Meeting, and the only "feature requests" that would ever get considered are those companies like AT&T, Intercall, Verizon or BT would submit (ie major conferencing companies).

Edit: spelling mistake
Old 08-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #11
chuckbam
Personal Advocate

I may change, after I read in detail, if there are any memory management improvements. I customize the Prefech and Super-fetch with Vista. But, I am still not satisfied how my 12GB are used. Maybe a Vista SP-3 will come someday.

--
Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
chuckbam
Personal Advocate

Well I been playing with Win7 for a few days now. Few things I like and a few things I don't. But, basically it is the same thing as Vista w/a few bugs. People will like it because it loads the install fast. I am not giving up my Vista. But, I will keep a copy of Win7 so I can stay current with the technology. Though, it is the same OS with a few things in different places. No big deal!

All my benchmarks are also a little better with my Vista -64 (w/ customized system changes)

Here are a few pics of my VISTA Theme - I also have independent taskbars on 3 monitors

HD Activity Lights

Boot Screen

vistaExtreem64~GUI

Last edited by chuckbam; 08-31-2009 at 08:54 PM..
Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
JessicaD

Chuckbam,

There are several differences between Windows 7 and Windows Vista. To learn more about Windows 7Microsoft does have a site with whitepapers, tutorials, walkthroughs and screen casts on all the “under the hood” features in Win 7. Check out the Springboard site for Windows 7 on TechNet

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
Old 09-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
chuckbam
Personal Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaD View Post
Chuckbam,

There are several differences between Windows 7 and Windows Vista. To learn more about Windows 7Microsoft does have a site with whitepapers, tutorials, walkthroughs and screen casts on all the “under the hood” features in Win 7. Check out the Springboard site for Windows 7 on TechNet

Jessica
Hi Jessica,
Out of the "several differences", which one would say was the most significant?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaD View Post
Chuckbam,

Jessica
Hi Jessica, to ABXZone

Glad to have you aboard!

In addition to the references you provided, others who may read this thread might also be interested in the following Wikipedia article, which contains an extensive description of features that are new to W7:

Features new to Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards,
-- Al