ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
dazzlin
Elite Members

Arrow Software doesn't work in Vista? Try this.

This was mentioned in other threads, but I thought it was useful enough to make a thread of its own. If you are having a problem with a piece of software working in Windows Vista, try the following before pulling your hair out, or throwing your computer against the wall.

1. Right-click on the program's .exe file and choose Properties
2. Click on the Compatibility tab.
3. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" Windows XP

(You'll notice it also has a box that can be checked to run the program in Administrator mode. That may also solve a problem or two).
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
dsljay

Smile

Very sweet. Thanks for the pointers Dazzlin. :nicethread:
Old 07-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Znod
ABXpert

Thanks much. I have used that proedure once, and it helped--specifically getting my BT working partially.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
Old 07-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
madcats

Thanks, good idea, but even using your advice, the only way I can run some of my programs e.g. registry tools or internet T.V. is to keep re-installing them.As the install finishes, i leave the box checked "Run when finished" and the program loads without an error message, stopping it;as happens when running it from the "Start Bar". This is extra work-but worth it to use my best programs on Beta2.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Znod
ABXpert

I feel your pain.:sorry:

[/CENTER]
Old 07-20-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
madcats

I am having beter luck,by being very selective which programs to install. Keeping the registry uncluttered is helping speed the loading. "Dazzlin's" post re: compatibility, has helped. I found "checking the "run as administrator" is necessary. It gives you an extra step in loading the program, as you have to confirm "Run as an Adminstrator" - anything to start my program-finally!
Old 08-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
mojavekroc

As Dazzlin stated in the first posting, run in XP compatibility helps many apps work that normally wouldn't.

This is also true of drivers.

I had an issue with a Linksys WUSB54G Wireless adapter. On my dual boot PC (XP x64 and Vista Ultimate) I could get this device to work with XP x64 (which itself is no easy chore) but it was difficult to enable a wireless connection with Vista. After working with MS support, the MS tech had me remove the driver, reinstall the driver to my documents and do the same compatibility setting (as well as Run As Administrator).

This enabled me to have a reliable wireless connection with this device.

However, I still have network issues that we are working on.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
crabby
Super Moderator

What issues mojavekroc?

crabby
Old 08-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #9
mojavekroc

Crabby,

The issue is connecting to the my network so that I can share files and print.

For some reason, no matter what I do, I can't seem to connect with the network for that. All I can do is a wireless internet connection.

It likely could be an issue with the router. I just haven't had the time to really troubleshoot it.

Got any ideas??
Old 08-20-2006, 05:38 AM   #10
crabby
Super Moderator

I have the same issue! Have been unable to sort it so far. The only thing I could think of was that I was trying to connect with an xp machine, but that really shouldn't be an issue. But I will have a big push today and hope to come up with something.

crabby
Old 08-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #11
crabby
Super Moderator

Well, for me atleast (as I am connecting to xp machines), a new protocol for the xp machines is required called LLTD. I have been unable to obtain this as its only available via connect atm If you know how to grab the LLTD responder then you should be sorted!

crabby
Old 08-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #12
Znod
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyanax291
S....
blyanax291 Not:welcome:

[/CENTER]
Old 08-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #13
mojavekroc

Crabby,

I have tried connecting to another Vista computer which also is an XP dual boot. It wont work with either.

My remote PC is a x64-Vista dual boot and I can connect with the very same USB adapter booted on x64 with either XP Pro or Vista on the router connected machine.

I know that you have been talking about using x64 Vista. Drivers are lots of fun with x64 systems..
Old 08-21-2006, 02:31 AM   #14
crabby
Super Moderator

Lol... well (hopefully) I already have them, but I wont know til I try :| I havent seen many working networks so far with vista, which is probably because they doubt there will be many around. The network wizard I found wanted me to change my routers SSID for some reason... but that isnt going to happen

crabby
Old 08-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #15
fenntu

here is another way: Try to shutdown EDP.

right cilck on "computer" and select properties
chose system protection in left menu
click Advanced tab
click Settings of Performance
click Eata Execution Prevention
check Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only

done

hope this one could be useful ^_^