ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #31
crabby
Super Moderator

I agree Felix, the more you use it the less burdensome it becomes! However, if my PC has been up for a few days, when it comes up the sceen blanks out for about 1/5th of a second instead of just transitioning! I like the security features in Vista!

crabby
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #32
felix8406
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby
I agree Felix, the more you use it the less burdensome it becomes! However, if my PC has been up for a few days, when it comes up the sceen blanks out for about 1/5th of a second instead of just transitioning! I like the security features in Vista!

crabby
I believe I posted a way to prevent the blank screen from taking place. It could be a pain, specially during Vista setup and if your graphic card or monitor refresh rate is slow. I'll dig it out again when I get a chance.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #33
felix8406
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix8406
I believe I posted a way to prevent the blank screen from taking place. It could be a pain, specially during Vista setup and if your graphic card or monitor refresh rate is slow. I'll dig it out again when I get a chance.
Here is the tip I mentioned; keep in mind that it might differ depending in your build.

You can disable the secure desktop blanking feature and re-enable after completing your setup.

1. Click the Start and type gpedit.msc in search area
2. Click gpedit.msc
3. On the Group Policy Object Editor window, expand Computer Configuration
4. Expand Windows Settings, Security Settings and Local Policies.
5. Click on Security Options.
6. On the right pane, scroll to the bottom of the listing, and double-click on "User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation."
7. Select Disabled, and press OK.
8. Close the Group Policy Object Editor.

P.S. Please keep in mind that you will still be ask for elevation, however your screen will not blanked-out. Also, don't forget to enable this feature as soon as you have completed your setup.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #34
texasjatt

tried this and installing driver for my lexmark 6100 printer but still no luck .Any help on this issue will be highly appriciated . I have used both options of marking in the compatibilty mode for Xp and as Administrator set up but with no joy with any one of these. i have even tried getting the dirver from Lexmark's site but still cant work.

the printer is shown as default but in device manager have a big red X.Also the computer detects the printr but when i try to print it show sup in the printing document bar but nothing happens with printer.The icon just sits in the tray. Couple of times it gives an error : unable to communicate with printer. I have even chaged the usb cable and diffrent ports.

Please help
Old 12-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #35
felix8406
ABXpert

I have the same issue with my Epson flatbed printer; I get around that by updating the driver through device manager. I place a folder on my desktop and use it to tell the software to install the temp file. Even though the drivers get installed, the printer or scanner don't work. So I go to the device manager, right click the printer and select update driver from the folder I created on my desktop, then log off and log back on to my PC. Maybe it'll work for you as well.

P.S. By default, when extracting drivers, Vista extract them to a temp folder where sometimes are forgotten. I prefer to place a folder on my desktop or selected folder like "Documents", and select to extract the files to that folder instead. They are much easier to find and access.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #36
Snuffy
Elite Members

Thumbs up v92 Modem

Same here with my V92 HSP Micromodem, only way I could get it to install.
(1) copy the floppy setup to HD
(2) control panel to ADD Hardware...
(3) manually add from list..do not let Vista search
(4) point to where you have the driver(s) located
Had to do this with my SCSI drivers also....
:scared: but it worked for me...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #37
baron152

Thank you for this post. It solved my problem after 5 days of no product support
Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #38
felix8406
ABXpert

You are very welcome. What kind of problem did you have?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #39
Carey

Thanks, I was wondering how to do this. I couldn't get a couple programs running
Old 07-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #40
gauravgulati81

cool link for info on vista

hi all,
following link might be useful for u:

http://more-vista.blogspot.com
Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 PM   #41
dgr54

create a new user with access to another Pc

Hi

I am no expert - but I have a network of XP and Win2000. Here are some steps I when through -

I have a general user for all pcs such as "globaluser". On the Vista Home Prem I have a user called the same thing. I indicated in Vista that I want to be on a network and share.

initially I could not see any devices on my local network. I momentarily disabled my Norton, and suddenly everything - the other PCs - showed up. I connected to them.

Norton was re-enabled - after its time out and I can still access the other PCs. I have even shared a printer on the Xp and the W2K pc w vista. Sometimes I have to re-enter the userid "globaluser" and password to OPEN a connection to a PC, but then all is fine.

for what is worth.
D:newbie:
Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #42
Murali

great.. I got the solution with this quote..thank uu
Old 12-10-2007, 04:48 AM   #43
RF-musician

Older versions of Steinberg Clean and Wavelab are not willing to run with vista, they don't start or they crash when trying to load a file.
But the "Diamond cut" applications (for cleaning old records) are so well programmed, that they run on Vista perfectly.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 AM   #44
Patton

Thumbs up

Another good tip is to run the program as administrator. Right click the .exe and run as administrator!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #45
nicu_pascan
Banned

hypnotherapy north london
become vegetarian
:welcome: