ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-10-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
Seansmit17
Special Member - Vista Babble Promoter

Vista Can use USB Storage as RAM

Has anyone here tested this yet??

If not, if somone has a usb dongle of say 512mb or 1gb thats USB2 could they give this agao and report back on performance?

I ask cus, i have plenty of ram for my needs in xp but not for vista and i was thinking of bying a 1gb usb storage dongle for 17.99 vs buying 1gb ram for 70 but want to know if it will make a noticeable diffrence to performance. I currently have 512mb ddr3200 (2x 256)

Thanks
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
dazzlin
Elite Members

Seansmit17, check out this thread and this one. Both discuss this. But what makes you think you can't run Vista with 512mb ram? I'm running it pretty well with that. Would I like more? Sure, but it's not slowing me down.
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Seansmit17

Thanks, I need more cus vista is using 80-90% of my 512mb all of the time. I bowroed a syick on 1gb from a mate and there was one hell of a diffence, vista ran a lot faster.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
dazzlin
Elite Members

If you can find out what kind of stick you borrowed, please share it here, so we have at least one example of one that is known to work well. Thanks.
forum or check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
Seansmit17

no, lol you misuderstand it was RAM i borwed not a usb stick

But i will be buying a 1gb usb stick in the week. If it all goes well ill post results up
Old 07-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
dazzlin
Elite Members

oops, sorry for the misunderstanding. :sorry:
forum or check out
. [/B][/COLOR]
Old 07-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
Seansmit17

loleace:
Old 07-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
Znod
ABXpert

Vista can use, for example, a flash drive, and its ReadyBoost feature to provide a SuperFetching cache. Doing so doesn't really provide more RAM. Instead, it just provides a place to store certain virtual-memory/pagefile data which can be accessed more rapidly from a flash drive than a hard drive. I think the feature may useful if one does not have much RAM, but I am not sure. I wonder if anyone will ever actually notice the difference. Note that it currently is hard to find a flash drive that will work with ReadyBoost. I sucessfully using a 1 GB Lexar Sport flash drive. Some have mentioned some Memorex drives that work. Also, the most success seems to be with the Apacer Handy Steno HT203 line-- http://apacer.com/en/products/Handy_...HT203_200X.htm. My 4 GB should be delivered today, but I am just playing and not really expecting anything noticeable.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
Old 07-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Seansmit17

Well, i got a 1gb usb stick and....

it made windows boot a bit faster but had no impact on in windows performance at all. Mem usage was still at 80%.. so not really worth it really
Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Znod
ABXpert

I have not noticed a difference or found a measured difference with 4 GB. I like the Apacer flash though. to me.

[/CENTER]
Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
Seansmit17

lol
Old 09-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
felix8406
ABXpert

I'm using a USB traveldrive 512MB and it seens to work well. Can't say I notice any difference.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #13
Znod
ABXpert

Is Traveldrive the brand or the model? If the latter, what is its brand? Is it a Memorex? Regardless, at least some of the Memorex's also work. I have a 1 GB Memorex that works, although I use my Apacer 4 GB. But, as you say, alas, no noticeable improvement. But, what would I expect with two GB of RAM and about the same for max VM?

[/CENTER]
Old 09-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
felix8406
ABXpert

It's a memorex. As for performance improvements, I believe it makes a difference, but not enough to be noticeable without using some type of measuring tool, i.e. program. My recommendation is to use a dedicated HD partition for virtual memory and should work basically the same as USB storage.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #15
Znod
ABXpert

Well, unless one's drive is full or badly fragmented, using another partition might slow things down, right???

[/CENTER]