ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #46
crabby
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby
In general, if a card reader shows a drive without media in it within 'My Computer' (like a floppy drive or CD ROM does), you can't use it for ReadyBoost.

crabby
Is this how your card reader shows drives? Apparantly Znods works so if his is the same then I haven't a clue whats up

crabby
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #47
Znod
ABXpert

I am confused. Right now I am using an SD card. Before I was using a flash drive. Either way, my "My Computer" shows the device "normally." If I open it, I see an Icon (clock, etc.) labeled Ready Boost.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
Old 10-26-2006, 02:34 AM   #48
crabby
Super Moderator

When there is no media in your flash drive/sd slot does My computer show an empty drive? I don't have any of this stuff so I am just speculating from information I have received elsewhere.

crabby
Old 10-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #49
Znod
ABXpert

Hi crab:

No empty drive or drive letter is shown. With an SD card inserted, the card icon shows up, but with no drive letter. I am working on getting the mobo model number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
Old 10-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #50
crabby
Super Moderator

Yeah... you see... Znods shows no empty drives and so works... Felix's shows empty drives so doesnt work... I don't know why that makes a difference but apparently it does

Sorry for the bad news felix

crabby
Old 10-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #51
Galt

I've got a 4gig Flash Drive sitting on a 2.0 USB 4port Card.

Any attempt to use Ready Boost fails.

See attached: Question? Just what specs are required for using Ready Boost, or do I need a special High Speed SD Card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReadyBoost.JPG (25.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #52
felix8406
ABXpert

Supposely, ReadyBoost does not support external card readers, but my PC has an internal card reader and still does not work.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #53
crabby
Super Moderator

The slot requires 2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads and 1.75MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes. There are lots of reasons why it might not work, if it does then quids in, but if it doesnt I can't see anyway of making it

crabby
Old 10-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #54
Znod
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby
Yeah... you see... Znods shows no empty drives and so works... Felix's shows empty drives so doesnt work... I don't know why that makes a difference but apparently it does

Sorry for the bad news felix

crabby
You guys may have covered this ground, but felix's card reader is acting like a USB card reader. When the latter is plugged in, your see drive letters, etc. I am not sure what distinguishes a built-in card reader that is Ready-Boost Ready from one that is not--i.e., one that acts like a USB card reader. Is there a Bios setting that would affect how the built-in reader behaves?

[/CENTER]
Old 10-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #55
felix8406
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znod
You guys may have covered this ground, but felix's card reader is acting like a USB card reader. When the latter is plugged in, your see drive letters, etc. I am not sure what distinguishes a built-in card reader that is Ready-Boost Ready from one that is not--i.e., one that acts like a USB card reader. Is there a Bios setting that would affect how the built-in reader behaves?
Znod, you brought up a good point...BIOS setup. I'll try that later and let you all know the results.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #56
Znod
ABXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix8406
Znod, you brought up a good point...BIOS setup. I'll try that later and let you all know the results.
Yes, let me know. And, do you know anything about the motherboard I referenced on the "Shout Out" thread? I was hoping that Crabby would notice the reference before going to bed , but it looks like he didn't. I need to get my order placed unless the mobo is a real dud--which I doubt.

[/CENTER]
Old 10-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #57
crabby
Super Moderator

ROFL... I made it Znod It's only 22:20 here... I am afraid I can't think of anyway the bios will help you felix... the only thing that I could think of is a third party driver. But there is NO WAY you are roping me into making one! It takes bally ages!!!

crabby
Old 10-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #58
felix8406
ABXpert

I tried the BIOS, nothing there. It's nothing to loose sleep on, not a big deal. The only thing I wanted to do really was to see what it did.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #59
crabby
Super Moderator

I think we can safely say, that it would have done 'not much'

I have only made 1 driver in my life and it was a chore to say the least... I would NEVER recommend it!

They may add functionality later on or it may actually be a limitation of the hardware.

crabby
Old 11-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #60
felix8406
ABXpert

Supposedly, Super Talent has made USB Drives designed to take advantage of ReadyBoost. I wonder if they’ll be any faster than a regular USB drive…?

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/2838/