ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
jbbeaird

Vista disconnects from internet...

OK... here I go again.

As I was writting this, I experienced the problem and here I am... having to start over.

I have a BRAND NEW Toshiba Tablet PC...

Because of all the programs that weren't compatable with Vista I did a clean install of Windows Vista.

Having worked my way through various problems... I have 1 major one that I can't figure out.

I use OUTLOOK for my email because it suits the need for me.

After about 20-30 minutes (and it doesn't matter if I'm on the internet... or not), I loose my internet connection. My network is still up and I can see and access the other computers on the network, but I can't get or send mail... AND I can't access the internet.

As I was writting this Thread a few minutes ago, it happened and I had to restart my machine and I lost everything I was writting here.

ALSO...

Microsoft keeps saying this is the biggest update and most important update in years.

If it is such an important update... why didn't Microsoft put some soft of "HOW TO" booklet with it. After all... with the money microsoft is asking us to spend for their BIGGEST and most IMPORTANT update, they should give us help... rather than that little help that's INSIDE Vista... For the most part, it's useless.

Anyway, I do like Windows Vista, but I think Microsoft should do more to give users more help and how to than they have... I think for the $$$ that it costs, Microsoft could includes a $25-$35 book to help us. After all... it did take them longer to get it out than they thought.

Can anyone help with the connection thing?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
felix8406
ABXpert

For what I gathered from your post, this tablet PC came with Win XP installed, is that correct? If it's, did you try updating your modems driver? Although Vista may have installed a driver, it doesn't necessarily means that it's the best driver.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
jbbeaird

I should have mentioned (I was sort of flustered by the time I finally got back on and was able to post... lol) that I use the wireless feature. My router is a linksys wireless.

I have a network of a few computers and printers etc. Just to note here that while I used another wireless computer I NEVER had this problem with XP.

While I do use the wireless aspect of my tablet pc... I can still see and connect to the computers on the network while not being able to connect to the internet... but more importantly I can't send or recieve emails until I reboot my machine and reset something... that something I can't figure out. Rebooting resets something that allows me to get back on the internet and send and recieve emails.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
felix8406
ABXpert

You can try this:

1. Click Start and enter Network in the search box. Now click the Network and Sharing Center which will show up in the program's menu

2. Click on Internet Options, left/bottom of the Network and Sharing Center window

3. Click the Connection tabs

4. Click LAN settings and select Automatically detect settings

5. Click OK and exit
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
jbbeaird

Maintaining my internet connections

I've done just about everything I know how... And yes, my network connections show "Automatically detect" is checked.

I've tried going to the Microsoft knowledge base, and I can't find anything there either.

I just wish someone actually faced this problem and solved it, so they could walk me through their solution.

jbbeaird
Old 03-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Snuffy
Elite Members

Have you looked in the even viewer to see if you have a warning or error.
open admin tools and event viewer and look for warnings or errors... an example of errors :
this AM i installed Adware 2007 Beta. and instantly received errors in relation ship to it...
all seen using the event viewer...also indicating that since adding 2007 Beta I have failed AVAST AV scan...
NO GOOD.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
BoostEEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbeaird
I've done just about everything I know how... And yes, my network connections show "Automatically detect" is checked.

I've tried going to the Microsoft knowledge base, and I can't find anything there either.

I just wish someone actually faced this problem and solved it, so they could walk me through their solution.

jbbeaird

Did you ever come up with a solution to this? wired mine works fine, but wireless I have to reboot like every ten minutes.

wireless was getting just too fast... I'm glad MS stepped up to the plate here and addressed that issue
Old 05-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Snuffy
Elite Members

Simply a suggestion for those have internet connection problems..
1. remove the TCP/IP v6.. (not needed)
2. remove both link layers (not needed)
3. remove QoS Packet (not needed)
Now once this is done... you have to SHUT DOWN wait 1 min then Start...
DO NOT REBOOT... IS WILL NOT TOTALLY REMOVE...
Let me know if this helps....(info from many ppl during Beta test days.) which solved this problem.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
BoostEEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
Simply a suggestion for those have internet connection problems..
1. remove the TCP/IP v6.. (not needed)
2. remove both link layers (not needed)
3. remove QoS Packet (not needed)
Now once this is done... you have to SHUT DOWN wait 1 min then Start...
DO NOT REBOOT... IS WILL NOT TOTALLY REMOVE...
Let me know if this helps....(info from many ppl during Beta test days.) which solved this problem.

No go. Still dropping my connection after a bit. Wired works fine for as long as I want, wired drops out and requires a reboot.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
Snuffy
Elite Members

check the cables (replace) ... also switch the ports...on the router...
clean the pins using a pencil eraser.. if the pins are not shiney and do not fit tight that is the problem.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
BoostEEd

Its not the cables. Cabled it works fine all day long. its only my wireless thats not working right. Will work for 10 minutes or so then it will drop me and not let me reconnect (all the while my work laptop will stay connected). I can plug in and it works fine, but to get back on the wireless I have to log out and back in of Winders and then it will work again for 10 minutes. Pretty rediculous. I have had the same router for over a year and it works fine with OSX, XP, Linux, Xbox 360... just not vista wireless. This is a new laptop so I am gonna look on the venders site and see if there are any known issues with the hardware, if not then I may install XP and see what it does to determine if its winders or the laptop.

its not the router as I was at my in-laws this weekend on their wireless and it did the same thing it does for me at home...:beta:
Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #12
Snuffy
Elite Members

Know how you feel. Really a pain in the TUSH.
Don't you just LOVE THIS EXPENSIVE BETA OS = Vista.

You might start with this link and follow to others:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

this link give you a bunch of Vista -wireless - problems and maybe solutions:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...eless+problems
Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
BoostEEd

Quote:
Know how you feel. Really a pain in the TUSH.
Don't you just LOVE THIS EXPENSIVE BETA OS = Vista.

You might start with this link and follow to others:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

this link give you a bunch of Vista -wireless - problems and maybe solutions:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...eless+problems

Thanks. I will give that stuff a try tonight. I have been all over various forms of keywords in searching google. I also intend to see what happens if my laptop and router are in the same room. Will tell me if its a signal strength issue, but still won't solve my problem. I will report back tonight.

I love this comment by the way:
Quote:
Specifically, in Windows XP SP2, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is set to 0 (disabled). In Windows Vista, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is not disabled. Therefore, some routers and some non-Microsoft DHCP servers cannot process the DHCP discovery packets
DHCP is an industry wide standard, not a MS function. Why would you change this? I love how MS deviates from standards and trys to make it their own, all the while making products incompatible! But thats for another discussion...

Back on topic the more I read that the more that seems like it might have something to do with it. odd that I get an IP initially, then lose it, but if I click all the BS after it fails connecting the message it gives me is it failed to recieve a response from the server... So maybe this will be a magical solution for me. (I won't get my hopes up till after I try it)
Old 05-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #14
Snuffy
Elite Members

Then next try removing the TCP/IPv6 .. Not needed remove or uncheck the link-layers, and uncheck QoS.. they are not needed..shut down and restart (REBOOT) sometimes does not clear from memory...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #15
BoostEEd

Quote:
Then next try removing the TCP/IPv6 .. Not needed remove or uncheck the link-layers, and uncheck QoS.. they are not needed..shut down and restart (REBOOT) sometimes does not clear from memory...

I did those. I am in the middle of testing right by my router now and seeing what happens....