ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Wiggles

Laptop Screen keeps dimming

From time to time, the screen on my laptop dims and brightens on its own and when I boot up from Sleep mode, it is really starting annoy me as it is getting more frequent, I'm thinking it might have something to do with the Acer Power Management tool but that is only a guess.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Wiggles
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
maverick280857

This is probably because the brightness values for different operation modes are different. I operate my notebook in minimum brightness mode. So I just go the Control Panel-->Mobile PC-->Power Options. I have a HP laptop so I see the following three options:

HP Recommended
Power Saver
High Performance

Under each of these entries there is an option to "Change plan settings". Click on it and use the sliders to change the brightness level appropriately (for 'on battery' and 'plugged in' modes). Click on save changes.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
Wiggles

It can't be that because I always keep my laptop on one power plan - power saver..
Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
crabby
Super Moderator

That could be the issue... it's trying to save power? I really don't why it would go from light to dim... i may be that when you are using other components it dims eg the hard drive... check the advanced power settings and see what you can change.

crabby
Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
felix8406
ABXpert

You should be able to setup the LCD brightness level for battery and AC power the same through the BIOS. This will not fix your issue but may allow you to find out if the notebook has a power supply issue. If the brightness is set to the same level for both AC and battery, and you still have the dimming issue, you can deduct that the problem is not the built in power management.

If the issue happens only after running your notebook for a while, there's a possibility that one of the components is failing or loose. As components expand due to increase temperature they may loose contact momentarily. Make sure your fan is in good condition and free of dust. I always use a notebook cooler, which permits the notebook to run much cooler than when using just the built in fan.

You may also try changing visual effects for best performance, which will consume less power.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Snuffy
Elite Members

I do understand what you mean, but when my Business was in operation. They changed the name after I sold out... over 20 yrs... Computer, and small electronic Repair and Sales.. (TTT Spec Co. - Cheyenne, Wy.)
Quote:
If the issue happens only after running your notebook for a while, there's a possibility that one of the components is failing or loose. As components expand due to increase temperature they may loose contact momentarily
All I could / would say to that. YOUR FIRED.. There is NO EXCUSE for sloppy joints. I paid Good money for Good Work .. and I never had an employee do anything that I my self could/would not do..
Old 05-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Snuffy
Elite Members

Back to the problem... Wiggles,
which Acer do you have?
which display adapter do you have?
and if I understand you have the same power settings for battery only as you do AC power...?
Seems the NVidia drivers are creating more problems than ATI drivers...
but both sets are having Vista Problems. I am using DEFAULT drivers on my ACER - Home Premium. Video Not ATI nor NVidia.. and NO VIDEO PROBLEMS.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
Wiggles

Sorry for the wait guys...
I have a Acer Aspire 5630, Intel Graphics Chipset 950GM.

When I using the battery, I use power saver but using AC power I use high performance. But it doesn't matter what power plan I have it on or whether I'm using AC power or not, it still does it.

Just to repeat the screen dims and brightens at times.

Many Thanks, Wiggles.

P.S. I have already installed the latest driver for the Intel Chipset.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
felix8406
ABXpert

How new or old is the laptop? Did the issue start recently or after installation of certain application(s)? A while back I had the same issue on a laptop. The problem was with the monitor. I'm not suggesting that is your issue, but there's a possibility.