ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
ewan_mclean

Unhappy Windows update boot problem

This is not a problem I have experienced with my PC but with my friends

Windows update came up and installed and restarted but upon the restart it came up the BSOD saying the there was a currupt or missing driver pciide.sys does anyone know how to fix this. without formatting the drive as i can't get into DOS or anything.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Znod
ABXpert

Startup with his Vista DVD, if he has one, and try repairing startup. If no luck, then start from the DVD and do a system restore to before the updating occurred. Tell him to turn off automatic updating, IMO.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][/COLOR]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
airman
ABXpert

This usually happens when a drive is moved from one system to another because the file is the process Generic PCI IDE Bus Driver. This is a XP or Vista install and you cannot even get into the bios on the system and what Znod suggested is a good way to go or run sfc/ scannow if you can get into safe mode. Google search gives quite a few version of this problem and in fact sites are selling the file. I never let updates install automatically always check them out to see what they are about, but that at this point is nether her nor there.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laptop HP Pavilion dv9720US 17.3 Wide Screen Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit Family Mobile
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on Asus P5Q Pro Turbo/Intel C2D6750 2.66/Zalman Cooler/4gig memory/Sapphire HD6770 Vapor-X/DVR2250/Antec PS 550 watt/HT Omega Sound card/Antec P-182 Gun Metal Case/ My System
Windows 7 Ultimate 32/ Asus P5P800SE MB/ P-D 945 3.4gig/3gig memory/HD1600 ATI/Antec 550 PS/Antec Case SLK3000B Wifes System Plus numerious hard drives and burners etc in all systems
Old 03-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
ewan_mclean

Thanks for the help guys, using the Windows Vista disk sorted the problem.