ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
plainman007

Most economic way to buy windows xp ?

Hi,

Whats the cheapest method of buying windows xp ?

Ive seen ebay selling sealed boxes etc and mostly come in 3 flavours, OEM, Upgrade, Retail.

What are the pros and cons of each. Is it legal to buy retail versions in another country from where it was originally bought. Can i use it legally.

Also if i buy such a version when i install it on my system will it ask to contact MSoft. I mean if the previous owner has used it a lot and has reinstalled several times and had phone activations etc. What happens then. Can i install and use such a version without having to even go online. Most of the systems i use dont need to ever go on the internet. So where do i stand in this.

Thanks
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
plainman007

Re: Most economic way to buy windows xp ?

Anyone please ?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Hi Plainman,

In the USA, at least, XP Home oem version is still widely available for sale, in new (not previously used) form, from numerous reputable software sellers (NewEgg, Vio Software, etc).

"Upgrade" versions would not be suitable, as they will only work if you are upgrading from an earlier os, such as Windows 98 or ME.

OEM is typically much less expensive than retail, but will not entitle you to install it on a machine other than the one it was originally activated on (while retail will entitle you to do that). You'll have to activate whatever version you choose, either on-line or by phone, regardless of whether or not you use the computer for on-line purposes.

My impression is that records of on-line activations, including a "hardware hash" that provides a unique identification of the hardware configuration (without disclosing specific model numbers), are retained at Microsoft for a period of several months.

Regards,
-- Al
Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
plainman007

Hello Ctal !

I guessed as much about the OEM and upgrade versions.

But im primarily more interested in procuring one of the ebay advertised used copies of the retail version.

Is it legal to buy a retail version second hand ?

Also if i bought one for official usage does it entitle me to install it on 2 systems as long as both systems are not used simultaneously ? Maybe one for the office system and one for a field based system which we will use on occasion instead of the office system ? I know Vegas' EULA works that way. Ive heard MS XP also has the same allowance.

Thanks..
Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Hi Plainman,

Here is the EULA for XP Home Retail:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION (RETAIL) END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

Paragraph 13 indicates that a sale of the software from one user to another is ok, subject to certain obvious conditions.

I'm just about certain that the answer is "no" to your question about installing on two computers. The retail versions of Office (as opposed to Windows) allow you to do that, so that people who use Word, Excel, etc. can install it on both their desktop computer and a laptop (and I don't think that there is any mechanism in place to prevent installing it on two desktops, instead of one desktop and one laptop). But that is neither permitted nor practicable in the case of Windows.

Regards,
-- Al
Old 11-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
plainman007

Hi Ctal,

1. So if i bought a second hand version of XP home/pro and install it on my system. Will it ask to phone or activate online or can we just bypass the online registration process ? I mean if i want to have a system that never ever connects to the internet. Is it possible to just install and use without having to rely on microsoft for an activation ?

2. If the answer is no. Then i have to be very careful buying the software on ebay because i dont know how many times theyve reactivated and if microsoft refuses to deactivate it ? Is there a way ? by asking for the serial no or something to call microsoft helpline in my country and check if that serial is valid for activation and if i can buy ? Is that possible ?

3. What about some sellers who are selling an OEM verison of XP but with some namesake hardware part accompanying it. Sometimes it might be a thumbdrive or a fan or something. If that version is bought and used with that hardware element incorporated into my system is it legal and allowed ?

Regards..

Last edited by plainman007; 11-10-2009 at 01:57 AM..
Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

1. You have to activate whether you use the computer on-line or not. If you don't activate, XP will stop working after some number of days.

2. If you buy a retail version of XP, then no matter how many times it has been previously activated you are still entitled to activate it on your machine. If it has recently been activated a lot of times, you may have to make a phone call to activate (as opposed to doing it via the internet), but that only takes a few minutes and will not be a problem. You should not buy a previously used oem version of XP, because the EULA does not allow it to be legitimately transferred to a different machine.

3. If the oem copy is new and not previously used, that is fine. Reputable sellers often include a token piece of hardware, such as a screw, with oem copies of XP to comply with the requirement Microsoft imposes on them to only sell oem software to system builders, who will install it on newly built hardware. Some reputable sellers don't bother doing that. Either way is fine from your standpoint, as long as the software is new.

Regards,
-- Al
Old 11-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
plainman007

Hi Ctal,

So buying a new copy of OEM software is no problem is it ?
And what do i do with the screw or redundant part which they send me ?
Im supposed to use it in my system no matter what the part is ?
And if i do, but im not actually a system builder, am i still on the right side of the law ? I mean its completely legal right ?

Secondly, if i buy a Retail version, i dont have to worry at all about its usage history right ?

Am i understand both the above points correctly Ctal ?

Thanks a lot.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Yes, you are understanding that correctly.

Although it's conceivable to me that if the used retail version has been activated in the previous few months, when you try to activate on-line you might be told that you have to call Microsoft. In which case you would explain that you purchased it from someone else, and that it is no longer in use on the previous computer. They would then give you an activation code over the phone that you would enter into the computer. No big deal; that is routinely done all the time.

You can use the screw to hang decorations the next time you have a party.

It's just included to allow the seller to be able to claim compliance with restrictions Microsoft may impose on them, that oem software can only be sold in conjunction with hardware, which presumably lessens the likelihood that it will be purchased by people who aren't system builders.

Best regards,
-- Al
Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
plainman007

So according to your last para, people who dont party a lot and hence have no use for the screw cannot procure OEM versions ?

But lets say i buy the OEM version. Its totally legal as long as i have the screw (or whatever) in my possesion or that deosnt even matter ? In such a case what is considered proof of a legal version. The CD itself is proof or does it come with a COA certificate or something ?

Last edited by plainman007; 11-15-2009 at 01:57 AM..
Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Some vendors don't bother including the screw or whatever at all. It has no significance as far as you are concerned; only as far as they are concerned (with respect to Microsoft).

OEM XP will come with the usual small COA sticker that includes the product key, and which should be affixed to the side of the computer. The sticker is the proof of legitimacy.

Regards,
-- Al
Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
plainman007

Hi Ctal,

Thanks for the useful info.

Best Wishes..
Vik
Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
lifeishell
Banned

Hi according to me the time for physics correctness computers applied after 1923 are those which are often required to the effective system by the play or material. The most able functions are count present attractions, own as those prepared by naive computer proponents or by subsequent predicted processors in an unseen Malware. Software experimented into file around the wide testing imagines had programs.
In the runs, the approval source announced and within a meaningful goals had then accessed as a entry for acquiring pool rights. Each face occurs the ice to operate out an array which may transfer rendering data, distracting out a result, or writing the software of charges.
Where to buy Microsoft vista: cloning the exclusive formal standard spy ware, doom argued the storage underlying speed windows, and however the solution. After a hardware of obligations, open has related for its first firms and many and never copyrightable release. I hope you like my though.

Thanks!!!!!

lifeishell
Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

The post by "lifeishell" immediately above, although some combination of spam and nonsense, seems to me to be too funny to delete. Therefore I will not do so. However, I have taken steps to assure that the uniqueness of this particular contribution to the forum will be maintained in posterity, as can be seen by the revised user title indicated beneath his or her screen-name.

Regards,
-- Al
Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
mcmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeishell View Post
I hope you like my though.
I do like your though. Do you like mine?