ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
sumrtym
King without a castle

BSOD Page Fault In Non-Paged Area - need help

I'm trying to troubleshoot my Mom's computer remotely. She's not the most computer literate in the world (don't even ask how many times I banged my head on my desk getting these files).

Anyway, she's been having major BSOD problems usually as the Page Fault in Non-Paged Area. I had her run memtest and within 8 passes had 1 error. I had her pull the computer out of the desk as I thought maybe it was heat related (let's go with easy first) and she vacuumed (yes, vacuumed) the outside fan entries. However, she still got a blue screen not long later.

Now, I built this machine and used good parts and haven't had any problems with it before, so I want to rule out a software problem. I'm not the world's most knowledgeable when it comes to running the debug tool from Microsoft and understanding what it's telling me though on the dump files following the crashes. Can any of you that are do so? Maybe the indicate a software causing this (AVG security, etc). Although memtest is showing it might be the memory (I haven't had her re-run it yet with it having more airflow), I just want to make sure before I need her to do more things and increase the amount of white hair I'm getting trying to solve this. Ruling out a software problem that shows up repeatedly (driver) in these logs would be the easiest with your help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip zipped dump files.zip (163.3 KB, 7 views)
| P4 3.2c Northwood| Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Rev 1.0 BIOS F10 | GDM-FW900 24" widescreen Trinitron | 2 GB Mushkin "Special" DDR400 2-3-2-6 @ 2.7v | Antec 1080 black with 430 W TruePower | 2 x 120 GB WD1200JB in RAID 0 for video | 200 GB WD2000JB for OS and all programs | 200 GB WD2000JB for .wav music | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | VideoLogic DigiTheatre DTS speakers | ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128 MB | Sony 1.44" floppy | Toshiba SD-1712 DVD-ROM | Benq 1620 DL DVD+/-RW | Win XP Pro | MS Intellimouse Explorer | MS Natural Multimedia Keyboard |
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Re: BSOD Page Fault In Non-Paged Area - need help

I think you need to correct the memory problem first.
If you can get her to run one memory stick at a time with
memtest. That way you'll fine the bad stick and can replace it.
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
sumrtym
King without a castle

Easier said than done with her there and me here. I was hoping to cure the memory error if it was just an overheat issue, or when I see her, but the BSOD's are FREQUENT...more so than running the memtest would lead to believe.

I was hoping someone could see a cause in the logs.
| P4 3.2c Northwood| Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Rev 1.0 BIOS F10 | GDM-FW900 24" widescreen Trinitron | 2 GB Mushkin "Special" DDR400 2-3-2-6 @ 2.7v | Antec 1080 black with 430 W TruePower | 2 x 120 GB WD1200JB in RAID 0 for video | 200 GB WD2000JB for OS and all programs | 200 GB WD2000JB for .wav music | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | VideoLogic DigiTheatre DTS speakers | ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128 MB | Sony 1.44" floppy | Toshiba SD-1712 DVD-ROM | Benq 1620 DL DVD+/-RW | Win XP Pro | MS Intellimouse Explorer | MS Natural Multimedia Keyboard |
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
rjs735
Virus? What I am not sick

Have you looked at the dump files yourself ? What happens when you try to run in safe mode. This would eliminate virtual drivers loaded in high memory. Safe mode uses real mode drivers which are loaded in lower memory.
You need a dump viewer program to view the mini dumps that MS creates. Wouldn't you know that MS would not make it easy on use poor dumb users ( LOL).

I tend to agree with Sir Skully the memory error even 1 in 8 passes may seem trivial but the way the OS and Apps beat memory you almost have to run clean for several hour.

The only other time I've seen this type of error is when I've had to do a full restore back to factory original install. Because of some corrupt module etc.

This may be one option to consider but most remote support software ( free) don't allow maintaining the remote connection thru a reboot.

Some final thoughts rule out virus adware etc before you give up.

What was your mother doing just before she encountered her first BSOD. Also you did not post the BSOD error code. It is a part of the Mini dump but is listed as 0x123457 in the last line of the BSOD.

A page fault in a non pageable area may occur when the pageing module get an address that points to a non pageable locations. Having said this the error can be caused by an in valid address invalid instruction etc. It may even be several instructions back from the actual address of the current instruction.

Other than the suggestions theres little doubt either the mountain goes to Mohamed or Mohamed goes to the mountain.

Let us know how you make out.
Asus P2b-F Cel 450 Ram 256MB W98 SE
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Asrock P4combo P4 346 Xp Pro Sp 3 SATA HD SATA DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 XP Media SP2 Sata HD Sata DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 Xp SP2 Asrock 775Dual 550 Xp pro SP2
IBM T23 1.3hz RAM 512MB XP pro SP2
All systems are networked
Konica Minolta Color Laser Samsung clp-315 Color laser
Dlink 655 Dlink G650 Wireless Dlink DNS-323 1TB NAS
Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
sumrtym
King without a castle

Ya, I started to read about what I needed to read the dump files, and from the instructions I was reading, I was pretty sure I couldn't figure out what they were telling me. I just thought someone that wouldn't mind could see if there was a driver implicated in the dump files time after time.

I realize I need to go there to work on the memory if it's not heat related, but I was really just trying to get it workable for now for her so not blue-screening every time she gets on for any length of time. She's living out in a farm area, and the computer is really the only way she's been staying sane for something to do for herself, thus why I wanted to explore this option first to hopefully get her up as fast as possible.

It doesn't appear to be tied to anything she's launching herself, but could be to something loading at startup such as AVG. I'm trying to reach her to find out if it BSOD on her in safe mode with networking yesterday or not. I'll let you know as soon as I do.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumrtym View Post
Ya, I started to read about what I needed to read the dump files, and from the instructions I was reading, I was pretty sure I couldn't figure out what they were telling me. I just thought someone that wouldn't mind could see if there was a driver implicated in the dump files time after time.

I realize I need to go there to work on the memory if it's not heat related, but I was really just trying to get it workable for now for her so not blue-screening every time she gets on for any length of time. She's living out in a farm area, and the computer is really the only way she's been staying sane for something to do for herself, thus why I wanted to explore this option first to hopefully get her up as fast as possible.

It doesn't appear to be tied to anything she's launching herself, but could be to something loading at startup such as AVG. I'm trying to reach her to find out if it BSOD on her in safe mode with networking yesterday or not. I'll let you know as soon as I do.
I hope you get it worked out for her, and let us know
how it turns out......
Just a thought, if she could open the PC case. Then put a small fan to blow on cpu and memory.
If its heat that should cure the problem...
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
rjs735
Virus? What I am not sick

By your description it does seem hat related . Would it be possble for her to test for air flow from the PS fan and maybe take the side cover off and or if the case has a case fan to check for air flow.

I know from experience that left to their own devices most pcs collect a lot more dust than you can imagine. In most of my casese other than being dusty and dirty non of them had any problems related to over heating due to dust.

But fans and blowers not working that's another story. Being on a farm and having the computer case on the floor and the tracking of more dirt than in a normal household may exacerbate the problem.
Asus P2b-F Cel 450 Ram 256MB W98 SE
Optorite CDRW WD 40GB
Asrock P4combo P4 346 Xp Pro Sp 3 SATA HD SATA DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 XP Media SP2 Sata HD Sata DVD/RW
Foxconn 925EX 550 Xp SP2 Asrock 775Dual 550 Xp pro SP2
IBM T23 1.3hz RAM 512MB XP pro SP2
All systems are networked
Konica Minolta Color Laser Samsung clp-315 Color laser
Dlink 655 Dlink G650 Wireless Dlink DNS-323 1TB NAS
Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
laskar