ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
plainman007

All windows sounds screeching/stuttering/system freezing up...Urgent help needed

Hi,

My windows has been acting up recently, over a month. Suddenly sounds start to screech and stutter. Any sounds coming from the system turn extremely rough and jarring. When i reboot the system windows boot sounds also screech. I also noticed that when i leave the system alone for sometime it kind of freezes up. Whatever i type etc doest appear on the screen. Then if i keep hitting the keyboard keys. Suddenly there is the proverbial tink tonk noise that you get when a new device is plugged in ? That noise happens about 4 to 5 times and then the keyboard gets released and active. Plz note that during this freeze up time the mouse works well and so does clicking on start, running apps etc. Just whatever you type wont appear.

I ran HD Tune and its shows incrdibly low performace on C Drive. Just 3 mbps transfer rate. I have physical 2 drives in the system. So i tried running mp3s etc from the second drive and even there the jarring is reproduced. So i cant say the jarring is bec of drive failure. So i decided ill at least restore to an earlier Norton Image. When i ran the recovery CD, picked the image i wanted to restore and it asked me for the image password, gone, i cant type anything into the password dialog. But when rebooting and norton asks to press any key to start norton cd that worked. Im completely helpless and its extremely difficult to even work on the system. Can someone suggest what should be done ?

Thanks
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
radeonized2

Re: All windows sounds screeching/stuttering/system freezing up...Urgent help needed

See if I understand; the PC isn't makeing these sounds, the operating systems is. If you have a sound card uninstall the driver, shutdown, remove the card,reboot, and install onboard drivers. Oh don't forget to plug into onboard sound. I have heard some awfull sounding PC's where it was some hardware going bad like HDD or heatsink fan northbridge fan PSU, ect. Anyway if it's comeing from windows and totally not hardware then maybe you got a virus.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Re: All windows sounds screeching/stuttering/system freezing up...Urgent help needed

Hi Vik,

It could still be an hdd failure, because even when the file being played is on the other drive, the c drive is being used to support Windows and whatever program you are using.

Check the "health" tab in HD Tune, for each drive, if you haven't already. Also check that the sata cables between hdd's and mobo are firmly inserted; sometimes they come loose.

When keyboard entries are not accepted, but then the keyboard subsequently becomes active, do the characters you typed while it was inactive then appear? If not, perhaps a keyboard failure is hanging up the system.

Best regards,
-- Al
Old 10-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
plainman007

Hi Ctal,

Thanks for replying. Your right the C: Drive is still playing a part in the playback as the apps, drivers, codecs etc all function from that drive. Thats why i first wanted to rule out windows corruption. Before tackling it from a hardware point of view. So i ran Norton Ghost 9. NG 9 has a melody music that plays while it scans disks for errors. I figured it was the only way to play some music without depending on windows since i think NG runs totally independent of the OS. The music from NG running from the DVD Drive sounded perfect. Hence i concluded that this was most probably a windows corruption and not hardware related (Except for C. So i just went ahead and restored C:, i guess in the second attempt the keyboard was recognized. Its a usb keyboard and maybe that has some cause to the problem. Now i could enter my image password, restore the image and was back in business without the sound glitches .

Now running on the restored OS, i ran HD Tune and the average data rate shows as 48 MB/sec. Sounds reasonably ok ? Health status shows as OK. And only spin retry count shows up highlighted which it does with all drives anyway.

The keyboard issue hasnt occured so far, could likely be the cause of some corrupt driver or a virus. But when it used to happen, yes the alphabets used to appear after a few seconds. But not always. Ive noted quite keenly. Its behaviour wasnt ever consistent. Its a USB keyboard. But now its normal and hastnt occured again. It usually does after leaving the system unattended for a few minutes. But ill have to wait and see. Its been about 10 hrs and ive not seen the problem reccuring. Ill post back here if the problems crop up again.

Thanks a lot.

Radeonized > Maybe it was a virus. Or maybe my keyboard has a hardware error thats causing the windows plaug and play dings to sound out. Ill wait and see. Im running AVG Free antivirus. Dont know if its acting up in someway. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
radeonized2

Try another keyboard? Try an online virus scan? I know of a few; Trendmicro, Eset, Kaspersky ect. I've seen viruses do terible things. My step daughter got one that totaly broke her harddrive. It was so broke myself and her sister whom is an IT professional could not repair.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
radeonized2

LOL! after rereading your last post I strongly feel it was a virus and sounds like a bot type.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
plainman007

Radeonized > What do you mean by it completely broke her HDD ? U mean corrupt or it was physically unusable ? I never knew a virus could do hardware damage.

Hi Ctal,

The update on the keyboard thing is it did reccur. So i switched on the numlock button so the num lock LED glows on the keyboard throughout my usage. I wanted to see when the freeze up in typing occured if the keyboard was working physically. Sure enough when it occured agin i looked down to find the numlock LED off. Then after a few seconds of watching it, it came back on and immediately thereafter i was able to type in properly.

What does this signify Ctal ? Is it a keyboard failure or something at the usb level (usb drivers controlling the keyboard or something). But no matter what software corruption with the USB, the light shouldnt have switched off right ? Or can a corrupt usb connection cut off power itself thru the port to the keyboard ?

Thanks
Vik
Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
Drufuss

Hi plainman007!

Reading your last post about the keyboad, i'd suggest checking your power-saving-settings (in BIOS and in Win).
Also, to what USB-port did you connect your keyboard? Have you tried another port?

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

Hi Dru! Haven't seen you around in a while. Hope you are doing well.
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus ROG Crossblade Ranger, AMD A10-7890K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB,

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800,
EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3,
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
radeonized2

Excuse my venaculers I ment like trashed fubarred unuseable not able to work. We tried all the known (to us anyway) tools and we couldn't get it to work. My theory is the virus currupted the bios on the drive so it was broken.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
fvbounty

Try running Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything! The free version is fine!

Malwarebytes
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
plainman007

Hi Drufuss,

How are you ?

I dont know which BIOS Settings control keyboard and how power saving relates to that. Can you just point me as to which section is should tamper with ?

Thanks..