ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #61
XJ.

Re: What is the best anti virus software to get?

I've found Norton Internet Security to be a solid product. No so with 360 (free from Comcast). Now Comcast is flogging an even more troublesome Norton software

I do like combo AV/Malware/Firewall products. That way, if I have a problem, there is only one company responsible.

(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #62
Whammamoosha
Airborne Gadget Snatcher

According to this EFFECTIVENESS comparative (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index), click on the graph to literally get the full picture: there are NEW fellas; there are OLD fellas; there are MIDDLE-TERM fellas. A FEW perform BEST. The CURRENT best ones are really worth the pain? Formula for choosing the right ones follow:

Very similarly to the task of choosing a mate after you've done enough in the wilderness of society...

...JUST like choosing a mate, I'd choose one that has been consistent over time AND is mature enough to handle most of his/her responsibilities.

I WON'T choose a mate that is like a dutch cow and kicks the milk bucket at the first opportunity.
Cosmic by goal.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #63
polonyc2
Legacy

used to use Kaspersky for many years...never had any issues with them...still think they are one of the very best in terms of virus detection...NOD32 also gets high marks but what used to be their best feature (least resource usage) has slowly gotten worse...I tried the 64-bit trial of NOD32 and was surprised at the resource usage compared to Kaspersky

right now I enjoy using virtual sandbox software
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)
Old 06-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #64
Whammamoosha
Airborne Gadget Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
used to use Kaspersky for many years...never had any issues with them...still think they are one of the very best in terms of virus detection...NOD32 also gets high marks but what used to be their best feature (least resource usage) has slowly gotten worse...I tried the 64-bit trial of NOD32 and was surprised at the resource usage compared to Kaspersky

right now I enjoy using virtual sandbox software
OTOH Kaspersky didn't pass VB100 under Linux in Feb/2011 neither under Windows in April/2010 (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/vendor?id=15).

NOD32's last failure dates from April 2002 (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/vendor?id=14 - Linux only).
Cosmic by goal.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #65
fvbounty

Re: Eset nod32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammamoosha View Post
Here where I live the last renewal cost me less than US$ 50 for a three-computers two-years license.

Am I really spending?
I've been looking around here in california for the 3 user 2 year license and the best is $89..... if I could get it for $50 I would try it!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #66
Whammamoosha
Airborne Gadget Snatcher

Re: Eset nod32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
I've been looking around here in california for the 3 user 2 year license and the best is $89..... if I could get it for $50 I would try it!
The renewal is cheaper (that's what cost me a but over 50).
Cosmic by goal.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #67
WolfSoul

Well they can hurry up with the NIS 2012.. aslong as it's beta you get 14 days protection then renew it.. and I just switched to my new NIS serial this month
LG BH10LS38 BluRay Burner - Plextor PX-L890SA DVD Burner
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF OC 2GB
Dell U2412M - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround System - Creative Tactic3D Wrath
Logitech G19 Gaming keyboard - Logitech G9X laser Gaming Mouse
Old 07-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #68
airman
ABXpert

Symantec End Point Protection here on 5-6 different systems with good track record of fast systems and good protection for the last 5-7 years. I think the best thing to do is pick one your comfortable with use it keep it updates and do scans quick daily and full weekly and watch what you click on, and were you surf.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laptop HP Pavilion dv9720US 17.3 Wide Screen Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit Family Mobile
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on Asus P5Q Pro Turbo/Intel C2D6750 2.66/Zalman Cooler/4gig memory/Sapphire HD6770 Vapor-X/DVR2250/Antec PS 550 watt/HT Omega Sound card/Antec P-182 Gun Metal Case/ My System
Windows 7 Ultimate 32/ Asus P5P800SE MB/ P-D 945 3.4gig/3gig memory/HD1600 ATI/Antec 550 PS/Antec Case SLK3000B Wifes System Plus numerious hard drives and burners etc in all systems
Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #69
hankweed

Bitdefener all the way. Lots of tools and options. PC clean up etc. Anti virus and antispam very good
Old 09-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #70
jonnydeep

Hi friends Today many anti virus available in market but best of them is avira antivirus. I am also using it last 5 year. so I prefer only avira
Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #71
radeonized2

Go back a couple pages folks and As I stated I do not have any anti-virus software installed on any of my PC's. Let alone pay $$ for one. Now that's a rip Here's why.. " Highlights:

(R - Reddit / H - Hacker)

R: What anti virus software free/paid for presents to you the biggest obstacles?
H: Kaspersky was the most challenging at first, Kaspersky is paranoid as f...k! But it has an exploit in KIS, KAV and PURE, allowing to start malicious code in the memory context of a trusted system process unnoticed. Kaspersky won't interfere if it thinks it's the system process doing changes to the system.

R: What advice can you give to us "average" folk on how to stay secure online?
H: If the attachment is ending in .exe and pretending to be something else, it's malware for sure. If it's a .pdf it can only infect you if you haven't patched your Adobe Reader (Is now done automaticly). Cybercriminals use 0day exploits only on valueable targets like Iranian power plants or companies with intellectual properties and ****ing lot of cash.
- Facebook friends don't share funny cat pictures on randomly generated domain names.
- If your AV says it's clean or even if Virustotal gives you 0/43 it can still be malware, been there, seen that. Srsly, don't trust your AV.
- Use HBCI or similiar for online banking, it costs 30$ and is military grade cryptography (private key signing), only open source cryptography on signed hardware is 100% secure.
- Windows updates, yes, do them. If you have a pirated copy, just buy that **** or use linux.
- If you are super paranoid, buy a netbook and use a LiveCD or similiar on it whenever you put your CC information in.
- Banking on mobile phone, it's stupid, but atm 'not that dangerous as it seems', because 99% of cybercriminals can't code and there is no (serious) android or iOS malware yet on the market.

R: Does this mean Linux or MAC OSx are impermeable to malware? If so, why? If not, what's the best way Linux or MAC users see if they've been infected?
H: No, but Linux is not targeted, because it is not economical.

R: What do you use to spread?
H: Automatically backdooring warez and uploading it to one click hoster and Usenet. It's funny that even governmental agencies use warez, I found FAA.gov credentials. My momma always said, "A botnet is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

R: why?
H: It first started as a challenge to circumvent AntiVirus systems, but then I realised all AV suck at detection and it's easy to make money with it.

R: how about making a better AV detection system and profiting off that?
H: AV is a completely wrong approach to security. If you need AV to feel secure you already failed.

R: First, thanks for the AMA, really interesting. Could you write some "perfect protection" AV software yourself? I bet you could make a ****ton of cash even if it is a one time sale per person. Is there hacker-folk interest in putting AV companies out of business by giving away or selling cheap, far superior, protection? Would it be more fun to screw over big companies who sell snake oil?
H: Most "hacker-folk" kinda work at AV companies already. There is already a company going the "elimate it at the root" approach: http://www.triumfant.com . But it's not that easy, the big companies have the moneys, Symantec has the colorful commercials, McAfee has the governmental contracts for voting machines AV (Mr. McAfee has btw the same lifestyle as your average Russian Spam King: 66 years old, huge house in a tropical country, 17 year old girlfriend, lots of unregistered weapons lol). It's not about the product itself, it's about power and influence. Read about the "HBGary federal accident" or watch the Defcon 19 video with "Aaron Van Barr (totally not Aaron Barr, because he wasn't allowed to be there )". Changing the security industry is like changing the copyright system.

R: you're the reason we can't have nice things.
H: People who can just about start Facebook and put in their credit cards are the reason such things exist. Antivirus companies selling snakeoil and lull consumers into absolute security are another one."
Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #72
yabbadoo
Banned

There is no BEST. It is all a matter of doing your homework and personal judgement.

Paying for an AV does not guarantee any better protection than going for a freebie. I have never paid one cent for anything, always use freebies and have never had a single problem.

My package is :- Primarily Sandboxie, then AVG 2012 and PrivateFirewall for online protection. Then I have whatever Firefox provides and Windows XP Home security backups.

SpywareBlaster is lurking in the background and I have MBAM, Emsisoft AM, Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool as manual sweepers, one of which I use a few times each week. I have not had a threat for so long I cannot remember when.

By far the most secure program is Sandboxie. In theory you do not need an AV, but it is best to have one plus a good firewall. With this combination you can go wherever you like on the web, no bugs can get at your PC. They all get killed on shutdown. I have strolled through the Valley of Death rubbing shoulders with the Good, the Bad and the Ugly so many times with total impunity and I am still here to tell the tale with no scars to prove it.

I know that nothing is perfect, but with a virtual system, you can get damned close to it, the bugs just fly around in the box and can go nowhere, then when the system is shut down - ZAP ! they are gone.

All my programs are freebies.

PS - For those condescending individuals who have inferred that I am nothing but an OT addict, I would stress that I have as much experience with Windows and Internet operations as they have, probably more.

I am not a computer design and construction expert, I just fly the plane and execute all the necessary aerobatics, I do not design the damned thing.

Last edited by yabbadoo; 05-24-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #73
Dunstan103
Banned

In my opinion i think Gladiator internet security is the best pc protector software.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #74
shweta joshi

Kaspersky Antivirus 2012 (3 User) is the best laptop antivirus am also used this antivirus my laptop
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #75
arketah

If i have to recommend then always go for e-scan my favorite antivirus software of all.