ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
plainman007

Blue Screen Error, Since then the system doesnt even show the BIOS screen, Just dead

I was working on a video project when suddenly my video editing workstation displayed a BSOD screen for a fraction of a second and then went blank on the dual monitor. Since then the system doesnt show anything on the monitors.

I mean when i power it on it the power led glows. The HDD light is blinking on and off indefinitely and nothing turns up on the screen. Not even the INTEL logo BIOS Screen. Nothing on the screens not even a blip. The monitors just display their inbuilt "NO SIGNAL" message. I need to urgently finish this project and this couldnt have happened at a worse time. The reset button also doesnt seem to have any effect.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
radeonized2

Re: Blue Screen Error, Since then the system doesnt even show the BIOS screen, Just d

Sorry to say probably the Graphics card is toast.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
mcmd

Re: Blue Screen Error, Since then the system doesnt even show the BIOS screen, Just d

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonized2 View Post
Sorry to say probably the Graphics card is toast.

Yeah, this is the most likely....
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
plainman007

Hi Radeon, How have you been ?

If its just the graphics card then it would simplify things and i could just get a new one and start working.

But i just wanted to tell you. When i power up the system. The HDD and the DVD drive leds are continuously blinking. with no monitor output. but why are they continually blinking for like 2 secs on 2 secs off and so on.

Also if the graphics card is gone (and to confirm the same) if i now unhook my dual monitors and hook just one up to the MB default monitor d-sub pin it will work ? or i should physically remove the graphics card. Still the non stop continuous blinking of the DVD drive and HDD LEDs maybe hint something else. Also how come the keyboard is also dead ?

Regards
Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
radeonized2

Hook one monitor to the MB graphics port, and if the BIOS is set right to post to it as some are by default is good place to start the dianogstics of the problem. Without a visable screen it is normal to see all things running like they should led's and fans but, how do you know if your keyboard is not working right? Takeing things off the mainboard like videocards and plugging them back in is a good thing to try too. Good luck and sorry I can't tell you deffinatly what it is you need to do.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
plainman007

Simple, I knew the keyboard is not working because the caps lock leds and numlock leds on the keyboard dont light up . Also if the system is working fine the power down button on the keyboard should work as it used to everyday. But the Leds on the keyboard not glowing seem proof that its not active at least.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
radeonized2

I was hopeing you wouldn't say that. Sounds more than video gone south. How old is this MB (not that always is an indicator), but the older things get the more likely things could start going bad.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
plainman007

Its maybe 2.5 years to 3 years old. Its a DG-33 FB. I dont think its ancient, yet. So i think we'd have to say it must be mainly the MB gone caput right ?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
mcmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainman007 View Post

Its maybe 2.5 years to 3 years old. Its a DG-33 FB. I dont think its ancient, yet. So i think we'd have to say it must be mainly the MB gone caput right ?
It may still be under warranty: Find Parts, Service & Warranty for the Intel® Desktop Board DG33FB
Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
plainman007

It might, because in my country they only offer you 3 yrs and i heard that recently they revised it to be only 2 years. Talk about customer service improvement. I think in the near future if our MBs fail we'd have to pay them to keep the board for themselves. But the urgent aspect forces me to immdtly buy a new board. The dealer said he'll check it and if the MB needs replacement he suggested getting the DG-45RQ. Any idea about that board. It it good/better/worse compared to the DG-33FB ?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
plainman007

I was using the DG-33 FB so far. I will be happy with same or better performance. Dealers say its hard to find a similar board and all the ones coming now have mostly 2 memory dimm slots only. Will the DG-41-RQ give me at least similar performance to my DG-33FB considering the fsb speed etc.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
plainman007

Update > There were no replies after my last 2 posts, so i had to troubleshoot on my own. Found out it wasnt the MB. The graphics card had an exploded capacitor. I got a new card NVIDIA 8400 GS. Installed it on my own and now the system is up and running. Even one of my 1gb ram sticks was dead i guess. Now running on 3 gb of ram. Thank god my MB was intact.

Regards
Old 02-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
radeonized2

Great!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
plainman007

Hi Just finished installing the new card. Im shocked, the dealer tool me for a ride i guess. Its simpler than my previous card. Only that this one had 1 gb video ram. I wanted to have the same settings my prev card had where you can enable individual preferences for each and every program / application on your pc. Each and every window or application would inherit an Nvidia icon next to its minimize, close buttons. That button would give settings that can customize that respective window, say you always wanted that window to only open on the right side. And you only want it to open maximixed, or only max to monitor 1 or monitor 2 and so on.

Any ideas if thats a seperate prog which can be used with this card ? I know that came as part of the driver cd with my now dead Nvidia card.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
radeonized2

First off I usually don't use the Driver cd that comes with the videocard as it's outdated or sone will be, but if your new card is the same type try installing from the old driver cd you have. Uninstall the current Nvidia driver first.