ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #31
Nordap

Re: All about SSDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonized2 View Post
I wish I had a board that uses RST. That would be cool. For those that donít know, SSD caching (Intel Smart Response) is a feature built in to Intel Z68 Sandy Bridge motherboards where you can add a smaller volume SSD to your existing platter based hard drive to increase overall system performance. Users often experience a quicker more responsive system after doing this. Thatís great if you have a Z68 system and donít want to spend $200 on a new SSD to speed things up. But, what about users who donít have an Intel Z68 based system?
That sounds a lot like the hybrid mechanical Drives they are coming out with that have a large cache to act like an ssd drive using Preemptive data storing. Nice idea to put it on the MB. Do you know what typical speed increases are with those?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #32
Nordap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Skully View Post
I'm sorry I though you were using CrystalDisk Mark. CrystalDisk Mark, as well as programs like HD Tune, write compressed data to the drive, which is not desirable for an SSD. Most manufactures use ATTO for their benchmarking.
I didn't look close enough at your benchmark....
I wasn't aware of that. Makes sense to me. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks mi amigo.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #33
Sir Skully
ABX KNIGHT EXEMPLAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordap View Post
I wasn't aware of that. Makes sense to me. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks mi amigo.

De nada amigo...

Last edited by Sir Skully; 12-16-2011 at 12:27 PM..
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #34
radeonized2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordap View Post
That sounds a lot like the hybrid mechanical Drives they are coming out with that have a large cache to act like an ssd drive using Preemptive data storing. Nice idea to put it on the MB. Do you know what typical speed increases are with those?
No sorry sure don't. With the Z68 boards you just add a SSD and install the IRST drivers and in conjunction with a platter hard drive the SSD stores all the caches. No need to do a reinstall of the operating system to attain a faster running machine. The more you use the machine the more things speed up. You will get faster loading of large files like games for instance.