ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

In Praise of Far Cry 2

I went back to Far Cry 2 a few weeks ago after giving up on the game after it first came out years back. I had troubles with performance.....the gamma was just too dark no matter what I set...and I gave up on the eccentricities and repetitiveness of the game....

Have given it another go...
Different machine
Different Video Card
More patience.....

Make no mistake----this is a complex game to learn and enjoy....
and I have NEVER encountered bigger maps---with more open area and useful terrain.

And---to tell you the truth....I am enjoying it a lot the second time through. It is a hugely LONG game that will take you over 60 hours to complete if you are on the "Hardcore" setting.

My GTX 580 LOVES the game and at Ultra High settings on everything----the game is gorgeous and plays like butter.

The tactical options are endless....
but again----make no mistake....

On the hard settings----if you think you can "Just Push Through"
You are gonna die.....a lot....

Weapons choice, sound tactics and use of terrain are EVERYTHING in this game for solid mission accomplishment. Use of high ground is an absolute must. (and folks----I gotta tell you---that is the REAL world).

I like:
No Radar....You don't know where fire is coming from except for muzzle flash and sound....challenging and real world
Clever use of fire in this game....throw some Molotovs and start fires to screen movement and blow up stuff.....
Terrain maps are really well done and match terrain perfectly. Contour lines on the map are a nice touch. In this world of GPS-----if you grew up having to navigate with contour maps----you truly appreciate this game technique
The Dragonov Assault/Sniper Rifle (never leave home without it!)
Big maps-----and I am talking BIG!
Gorgeous and varied terrain graphics
Lots of "choice" which directly affects game
Not a "corridoor shooter"
Junky weapons break down in combat.....real world
1000 different ways to solve the tactical fight
Clever use of "Buddies"
The game is LONG----you get your money's worth!

Dislikes:
Forget about stealth and stealth weapons in this game....
No matter how hard you try, you are going to be seen and you are going to fight. Just depends on what position you put yopurself into before your fight begins
Stealth weapons in this game are absolutely anemic. Takes up to six hits form a silenced Makorov to bring down a foe. The silenced MP 5 is a total waste....
Jumping back and forth between factions seemed unlikely and artificial....at least to me.
Not enough Grenades.....(but then again----NO GAME has enough Grenades----at least for me LOL)
Some of the game complexity is not needed....who cares about the "Predecessor Tapes" anyway
All the traveling between missions lenghthens the game considerably----but it also forces you to plan a strategy, use terrain better and avoid checkpoints and needless fights----so maybe an actual plus here.....I did get tired of driving down endless roads though

Tips:
Do the Arms Dealer Missions first to unlock the Dragonov----everything becomes doable with the Dragonov
Just have enough Diamonds to buy the Dragonov with upgrades----everything else is gravy
Stay away from Roads and Checkpoints as much as possible----they will endlessly bog you down in useless fights that drain ammo and helath.
Use the map---travel cross country using terrain and valleys, swim in the rivers even take vehicles down railroad tracks----but STAY OFF THE ROADS---if you can help it.
Use the "Bus System" for quick transport as much as possible.
Use fire to your advantage----throw a LOT of Molotovs and Grenades.....

For some of you guys that gave up on Far Cry 2....maybe give it a go now----especiaslly after the long run of "corridoor shooters" we are seeing because of consoles....

Something a bit different....

John
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
XJ.

Re: In Praise of Far Cry 2

Thanks for the mini re-review John!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Cheap too----I got it on Steam for like $7.....

Steam.....what an incredible concept come to reality....

They are gonna make Millions!

So easy----so inexpensive----and your entire game library available at any time on any machine....ALWAYS!

No more discs

Why would I even WANT a disc LOL

Game Stop is doomed....
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
XJ.

That's good to know, though I'll be on Crysis 2 for a while.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Finished!

Played through to both endings.

63 hours to complete....Phew!

Liked....
Graphics
Firefights----excellent----just excellent!
Tactical use of terrain
unique use of fire from thrown molotovs to screen, hinder and destroy
HUGE----and I mean HUGE maps
Dragunov, AS-50 and the M-240 Grenade launcher

Disliked-----
too much travel between missions----took forever to get to some mission areas
Forget about stealth.....and stealth weapons were AWFUL
Started to get repetitious after awhile.
Friends all betrayed me in the end....... (unsettling) Sorry----I'm a simple soldier----I need good guys and bad guys.....
needed more variety in weapons-----and additional mods to existing weapons
Missions started to become.....all the same----all kind of blended together.....needed some creativity (a LOT of creativity LOL)
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
Finished!

Played through to both endings.

63 hours to complete....Phew!

Liked....
Graphics
Firefights----excellent----just excellent!
Tactical use of terrain
unique use of fire from thrown molotovs to screen, hinder and destroy
HUGE----and I mean HUGE maps
Dragunov, AS-50 and the M-240 Grenade launcher

Disliked-----
too much travel between missions----took forever to get to some mission areas
Forget about stealth.....and stealth weapons were AWFUL
Started to get repetitious after awhile.
Friends all betrayed me in the end....... (unsettling) Sorry----I'm a simple soldier----I need good guys and bad guys.....
needed more variety in weapons-----and additional mods to existing weapons
Missions started to become.....all the same----all kind of blended together.....needed some creativity (a LOT of creativity LOL)
I only played about 20 hours of this at the time, and your assessment sounds absolutely consistent with my memory of it. I was considering replaying this recently, but you have reminded me if a couple of things that really destroyed the game for me (although i realise that you're saying it's not a bad game).

The repetition of the missions was so tedious that I almost became nauseous, when playing, and had to walk away a few times. Yet another checkpoint? yet another camp? Briefcases full of diamonds lying around. Someone is making a fortune selling briefcases out there.
A few more fortified towns would have helped, but then stealth would be required with that. The lack of stealth was a major flaw IMHO, and what a disconnect from Far Cry! A stealth option may have saved it for me.

The fire fights were good and the terrain and use of fire was brilliant, but a couple of good points couldn't make up for all the issues. The poor graphics lighting in the night scenes was also disappointing.

When I tried exploring the malaria would kick in, slapping me in the face for daring to try such a thing. I admire your perseverance with the game, but I don't think I'll go back to it.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

OK game.....but wouldn't play it again....

I saw Steam was offering Crysis 2 "Maximum Edition"

but it doesn't have anything really new---a few weapons and skins....

But it is on Steam now----which is a plus.

We need another STALKER...

and soon LOL
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 06-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Yes, another STALKER would be great for us fans, but I have to wonder if that experience can be repeated? The lifecycle seems to be that a creative team gets together against the odds and through some lucky chance a classic is born, pretty much by accident.
Then later they try to repeat it but either lost their initial creative innocence and get lured into making something for profit instead of the game, or get rail roaded by big business into playing "safe" and producing mediocre results.

The funniest part is that we don't realise we're witnessing such greatness until we're about 2 hours in! That's why I always look at new games coming out, just in case I find one more classic lurking there.

I was replaying war head recently, and it's so much better than Crysis2 IMO.
But really, Far Cry is another example of a brilliant classic. I have to replay that one day, sit on the beach again watching the beautiful sunset while the Trigens howl in the jungle.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

I just found online that the Stalker series is basically dead.

GSC moved on and got linked to another company.

they are trying to put together an online Free Multiplayer called suvivorarium....

Or something like that. Sad.....

they said "the world changed" and they had to go to multiplayer

they are trying to port the Stalker atmosphere to this online game.

If it's FPS, I might take a look.....

Maybe time to try a Stalker Mod on CoP like L.U.R.K or Misery

I played Stalker Complete on CoS and it was excellent
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
yamawho
Linux user

I have played this game many many times on many systems.

In fact, it's the only game I still play while I'm waiting for Far Cry 3 ...

Got the fortune expansion awhile back and I like the new rides and the crossbow .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
OK game.....but wouldn't play it again....

I saw Steam was offering Crysis 2 "Maximum Edition"

but it doesn't have anything really new---a few weapons and skins....

But it is on Steam now----which is a plus.

We need another STALKER...

and soon LOL
Yes, it's on Steam again, because they are desperate to sell more copies. They put the demo on Steam and I joined the demo, but then they took it off and when I bought the full game I couldn't get into my own (EA) account because it was 'taken'. Duh. And EA's tech support is so lame it's beyond belief - I just couldn't get them to respond to me - no way, no how. Oh, and to add to the joy, the deluxe package (or whatever it was called) never worked, and, you guessed it, I never got a response back from EA so I could fix it.

EA will get more of my money when hell freezes over!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ. View Post
Yes, it's on Steam again, because they are desperate to sell more copies. They put the demo on Steam and I joined the demo, but then they took it off and when I bought the full game I couldn't get into my own (EA) account because it was 'taken'. Duh. And EA's tech support is so lame it's beyond belief - I just couldn't get them to respond to me - no way, no how. Oh, and to add to the joy, the deluxe package (or whatever it was called) never worked, and, you guessed it, I never got a response back from EA so I could fix it.

This highlights one of the problems that can, and does, happen with the game delivery systems. I remember the Rockstar "social club" really caused me some headaches and left a very bad impression. STEAM had issues in the beginning but has now settled mostly.

The ongoing management of these applications drives me crazy as well and I'm always pretty happy when a game comes out with a DVD, a key and no DRM.
Patches that u can dl without registering are very welcome too.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
yamawho
Linux user

I purchased the game on DVD and apply the patch and the expansion pack after that ...

Don't have a Steam account ... yet.
My son does and after being away for a month, he started his system and some of the games he had already installed and was playing were downloading

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
...he started his system and some of the games he had already installed and was playing were downloading
They automatically deliver patches. This is is hailed as one of the benefits but as any gamer knows patches often break things. I only install patches if I need or want them. You can configure it to not do do that. Put your Configuration Manager hat on and prepare to do battle with the UI to find those options.

Btw, good to see u posting yamawho !

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 06-04-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ. View Post

Because EA never bought into Steam.....and went their own way with Origin which is.....

questionable at best.....

but when they saw that Origin actually HURT their sales.....EA once again....cozied up to Steam and made it available through STEAM.

If you bought the Original Crysis on DVD.....it is half price to get everything up and running on Steam.....Like $20

At least that is what I've been told.

I may do it....got a few Steam Dollars to burn.....Birthday gifts from my sons.....
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580