ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
plainman007

Dvd writer doesnt read cds which were burned by it earlier.

The sony dvd writer that i have on my workstation isnt reading certain cds which were burned by it earlier. After i reinstalled windows xp pro afresh it doesnt read certain cds. The dvd drive icon just turns into a CD drive icon when a data cd or dvd is inserted and then it doesnt show the contents of the cd. As if the cd is blank. Or as if there werent any cd in the drive.

In bios mode it perfectly recognises the recovery cd each and everytime. The xp install has nothing but just win xp pro installed with no other softwares. So it cant be some application creating the issue ?

Just before i throw the drive out and replace it with a new one i wanted to ask you guys if there was something else going on here. Because id be damned if i get a new drive and the same issue repeats itself. Mostly i dont want to simply open up the cabinet (and keep on replacing parts) too when it could be avoided.

Thanks
Vik

Last edited by plainman007; 01-17-2012 at 11:44 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
fvbounty

Re: Dvd writer doesnt read cds which were burned by it earlier.

Well the price on new dvd burners is under $20 right now so you wouldn't be out much and probably have a faster burner to boot! Here's one for $15....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-27151244-L0G
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
plainman007

Yes they are around $20. But its not about buying the new one. Im only afraid if i buy a new one and it also doesnt read because probably the problem is elsewhere. Then id have one sitting around doing nothing.

Currently my place is filled with too much junk sitting around like this and they are working items but which i cant use at the moment. Just wanted to avoid that.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
fvbounty

Is there another computer around, friend, neighbor that you can try the disc that don't work on your machine?
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
plainman007

Me !!!. My best neighbor and friend.

Ive got 5 systems at home. lol. Now you know whats contributing to the pile of transplant junk i have sitting around.

Yes im posting here only after basic testing/finding out that this workstation alone is having this issue. The cds are read perfectly on all other systems. Just this one wont read them.

Then i just burned a cd using the rogue system and it burns proper. Minutes later it doesnt read the cd it just burned. That cd was then tested on other systems. Reads perfect.

Different cds burned from different systems all read across all systems except this.

BUT !!! Occasionally the rogue reads a cd or 2. After a few read errors. Or repeat attempts.

HOWEVER ALWAYS reads cds when booting from bios, example Norton Recovery. So possibly not a hardware fail ???

Last edited by plainman007; 01-19-2012 at 11:00 AM..