ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

Strange OS Problems

I'm having a slew of problems with windows lately. First off when I go to Device Manager I get a blank page. I thought this could be a PnP issue, but when I checked those settings PnP is set to automatic like it should be but it is greyed out so unable to change it. Not sure if this is related but I don't seem to be able to uninstall my catalyst drivers. It goes through the motions but doesn't ask for reboot and they are obviously still there since games still play. Also I can't open catalyst control panel. The other thing I have going on is I cannot access my Nexus when I plug it in via USB. It makes the connected noise but does not show up in My Computer. Its getting frustrating. I'm thinking format.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Re: Strange OS Problems

May be a video driver AMD problem...
Try CCleaner to remove AMD driver..
Also try single video card.
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

This is a cut and paste from W-7 forum, there is also... Drive sweeper...

I did some extensive searching and found many others having similar sorts of problems.
Here is the solution that worked:

(prior to proceeding, make sure you have the desired new AMD drivers downloaded (only) to your computer)

1. Download and install DriverCleaner pro (freebie--I Love Google !!) newest version you can find.
2. Disconnect from the "net" (I just pulled the LAN cable from my router..easy for me to unplug and replug)
This is a must do, otherwise when you reboot windows updates the drivers for you. (just do it !!)
3. Uninstall your AMD catalyst drivers (If you cannot uninstall, skip this and go to next step)
4. Reboot into safe mode
5. Run DriverCleaner pro and check the Remove AMD Options (I checked everything AMD)
6. note: you computer is still disconnected from the internet
7. Reboot normally into Windows (windows will load only the minimal drivers..which is what you want)
8. Now run the installer for the AMD drivers you want, the way you want.
9. Reconnect to the internet (plug it back in..or whatever), and REBOOT.

After I did the above steps (and installed the 12.4 drivers) all of my driver "issues" RESOLVED.
(It should have worked using Driver Sweeper--it also removes all the driver traces, but that particular program did not fix things for me)

I do not want to get into why one program worked, when another program (which should have the same effect did not). As pretty much everyone has slightly different hardware/software setups, I am only interested in offering alternatives that might solve problems. If Driver Sweeper worked for you GREAT, If Driver Cleaner Pro worked..GREAT...bottom line:
It is NICE to have OPTIONS. (that work
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

By the by I've had similar problems and it was AMD video driver...
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 07-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Look at post # 22....

[SOLVED] Device Manager is Blank - Page 2 - Tech Support Forum
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Last but not least, I hope something I've threw at ya works...
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

Thanks a lot Skully. Your a gentleman and a scholar I'll give those a shot and let you know how it turns out
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDMN View Post
Thanks a lot Skully. Your a gentleman and a scholar I'll give those a shot and let you know how it turns out
You're welcome my friend... Hope it helps solve the problem...
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

Well I tried driver cleaner but no luck. So I decided screw it format time. I have win 7 on a bootable flash drive so I formatted loaded it up and now when I get to the new desktop, it stays on a few seconds and then shuts down for seemingly no reason. Then I am stuck in a boot loop. I've tried two different drives with same results. I tried 32 bit and same thing. I don't have another working computer to get another copy of windows. Still weird it happens in both x86 and x64. Install seems to be going fine until you have the desktop for the first time then boom. Grrrr sucks not to have a computer!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

Well after looking in the same place for at least three times I actually found the brick for an old laptop I had. It's actually pretty decent. Quad core Penryn chip with 9 series Nvidia graphics. Anyway I had to format a 250g drive I had in my other laptop that is now officially retired. Like stripped and in the trash retired. Anyway it didn't seem to mind the version of windows I had already. I got another version and now I'm back up and running. I feel like I'm missing my right arm when my computer's down lol. I have a lot of stuff to install yet but at least I have my computer back! I think I might actually store a drive image this time once I get everything how I want it.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Sorry to all your pc problems and glad ya got another rig up
and running. Yeah I can't go a day without my rig. On your
rig with the ...stuck in a boot loop... did ya have the latest bios?
A run of MEMtest may turn up a bad memory stick. In fact
using one stick of memory to boot with might make a difference.
Try different sticks one at a time...
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

It was definitely a software problem. I am all back to where I should be now. DM is back, CCC is back, etc. fortunately, whatever glitch in the OS copy I had didn't seem to bother the laptop. So I was able to get it running, and in turn, get my desktop running. I do have the latest bios and tried a CCMOS in the beginning. I may never know what was wrong with my copy of windows that caused a premature shutdown then an endless boot loop, but I'm just glad it's resolved My PC is my entertainment center. It's rare I watch cable even. I watched it a bit when my PC was down last night and the commercials were driving me nuts in short order! I wouldn't even have cable except for the fact it was actually cheaper to have cable and internet than just internet. I still love my new Fios. I get a kick out of the whole catalyst suite downloading in under 30 seconds.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Great ya found the problem and are back up and running...

Yeah my pc is my major entertainment. The TV has so much crap/commercials and bad programing. I listen to my sound system with
soft music and surf the net. Also game some... Your internet connection reads out as fast, nice...
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

Old 07-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

Yeah I'm listening to some soft music myself right now. That's if you consider Alice in Chains soft Yeah, fastest net I ever had. Downloads at 7 MB/s if the site supports it
Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
obibob

I'm having a different problem with Win 7 64. I recently installed a Samsung 840 Pro SSD in my machine. I cloned my 1T drive to do it. All was well until I had conflicts between Steam and Norton. To make a long story short, a reformat seemed to be the best option, and I could also eliminate bloatware that had been accumulating over time (yes I should have done that before the install). Upon doing that, my SSD will now not boot -- on startup, I get BOOTMGR MISSING CTRL ALT DEL TO RESTART. If I leave my Win 7 install DVD in one of my optical drives, Windows will start; it apparently grabs something from the disk and then continues to start the OS from the SSD. I have looked around the web and have tried the "repair your computer" option on the install DVD as well as all the BOOTREC, REBUILDBCD, etc options I can find. No joy. Does anyone have any other ideas?