ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Apple just....Gets It !

Apple just....."Gets It".......

I spent a day today on a Mac Mini that the school system had bought one per school to help configure all the iPads we have been acquiring.

This is from a school system that is ALL PC....

We havent had Macs for 14 years------I haven't USED a MAC in 14 Years!!!

Bottom Line: I had the thing up and running in seconds.....

Yeah.....some differences in interface----and some oddities.....but pretty easy to figure out.

And here was the shocker.....and it just jumped out at you....

MAC OS 10 Lion has the "soft parachute" we all want between mobile and PC devices!!!

The choice.....the ease of melding both types of devices.

EXACTLY what Windows 8 DOES NOT have!

The Launch Pad----or the Finder ---both easily used or found and with all the capabilities!

Finder for traditional Mac/PC mouse folks-----what they are used too-----what works for them

Launch Pad for the new style iOS gesture interface users----the "new" way of doing business.

Both totally available----both nicely blended----both easily navigated to....

And both just plain darn EASY!

This is EXACTLY what Win 8 should be! Not abandoning 17 years worth of users and supporters----but instead giving an OPTION.

Whatever you are comfortable with----go for it and BE PRODUCTIVE!

Not trying to ram a new----totally different way down our throats!

People can say anything they want about Apple....the closed systems, the arrogance, the sue happy lawyers, the price, the funny names.....

but I will tell you this.......

Apple just "Gets It!"......
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

Re: Apple just....Gets It !

I have not tried Win 8 yet, but now that the RTM is on Technet, I will.
I will likely have the same impression you and others have had. I hope that MS learns a hard (read expensive) lesson from this...
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus ROG Crossblade Ranger, AMD A10-7890K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB,

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800,
EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3,
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
WolfSoul

I doubt it.. they always seem euphoric bout their new "inventions" and so are their fancrowd
LG BH10LS38 BluRay Burner - Plextor PX-L890SA DVD Burner
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF OC 2GB
Dell U2412M - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround System - Creative Tactic3D Wrath
Logitech G19 Gaming keyboard - Logitech G9X laser Gaming Mouse
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
XJ.

I agree with you John. As an aside, my wife met with one of the Apple reps at a recent educational conference. The Apple rep was almost giddy about Apple's future, mainly because they believe that with Win8, MS has blown it far beyond the way they did with Vista. I think that rep was dead on - now we'll just have to sit back and see if there is a real exodus this time around.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
WolfSoul

That story sounds familiar..
Well apple is still expensive and I doubt it is an option for enthusiasts.. for one I don't think they let you pick part by part yourself?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Yeah for one who enjoys rolling their own PC, apple is a hard pill to swallow...
VENGEANCE® RGB 32GB
OPTANE SSD-9 480G
SAMSUNG PRO 960 1tb M.2
MountainMods UFO case
Corsair 1200i watt psu
SAMSUNG 34" curved monitor
AudioEngine speakers
Ducky keyboard
ROG SPATHA gaming mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSoul View Post
That story sounds familiar..
Well apple is still expensive and I doubt it is an option for enthusiasts.. for one I don't think they let you pick part by part yourself?

No, not for us enthusiasts (though I wouldn't mind having an MacBook for a laptop). I'm talking about people who buy at Best Buy and whatnot. Instead of HP or DHell, they may see Win8 and decide on a Mac. Mac OSX is much more efficient than Windows - it has better memory management and doesn't seem to 'age' as fast as Windows does (because future releases of OSX don't gobble up resources the was the Windows usually does). At least, that's been my, somewhat limited, experience.

Last edited by XJ.; 08-18-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Ok---so I have played with this Mac Mini all weekend trying to get smart on Mac.

Gosh I'm gonna sound like an Apple FanBoy so steel yourself......

Bottom Line is that I am even MORE convinced that Apple "just gets it".....

I did the $20 upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion (OS 10.7 - OS 10.8)

Easy --- took 30 minutes and it opens a bunch of new communication features between iOS 6 and Mac----making it even easier to have all the Apple devices in a family, or business, or school.

And yet----- and here is the absolute key-----Apple sacrifices NONE of its original functionality in their OS with every new OS design. Folks who are used to doing business on a Mac using the Finder still have that capability totally---- and it is steadily being improved. If you want a more iPad like experience--- you can use the Launch Pad no problem. Or, do the simplest of all and simply set what you use in the "Dock" at the bottom of the screen where you can always find it.....totally---totally easy. Easy to set up and no navigation.....in fact---out of the box the dock is already set up for almost all functionality a normal person needs.

Macs don't abandon ANYONE like Win 8 will abandon the user who is used to a particular interface and is productive with it.

I, like the rest of you, don't like the closed systems, the lack of choice in building a machine, the lack of customization, the ability to mix and match......the lack of an EXCELLENT gaming experience.....the price!

And I will always have my PC as my main machine......

But let's face it.... We "enthusiasts" are a very-very small portion of the overall market. In a world that is getting technically more complex every day.......most folk, the VAST MAJORITY of folks....don't give a hoot about what we enthusiasts hold dear.

They just want something simple----that works......and they will even pay a little more for that instead of being bombarded with something harder to learn and additional time involved even if it has a bunch more "choice"......

Apple gets that....and they are making a FORTUNE right now......and gonna make even more!

If only MS will see the light on this! If not, it is going to be a disaster for the PC world.......
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580

Last edited by johnrr6; 08-19-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
Ok---so I have played with this Mac Mini all weekend trying to get smart on Mac.

Easy --- took 30 minutes and it opens a bunch of new communication features between iOS 6 and Mac----making it even easier to have all the Apple devices in a family, or business, or school.

And yet----- and here is the absolute key-----Apple sacrifices NONE of its original functionality in their OS with every new OS design. Folks who are used to doing business on a Mac using the Finder still have that capability totally---- and it is steadily being improved. If you want a more iPad like experience--- you can use the Launch Pad no problem. Or, do the simplest of all and simply set what you use in the "Dock" at the bottom of the screen where you can always find it.....totally---totally easy. Easy to set up and no navigation.....in fact---out of the box the dock is already set up for almost all functionality a normal person needs.

Macs don't abandon ANYONE like Win 8 will abandon the user who is used to a particular interface and is productive with it.

I, like the rest of you, don't like the closed systems, the lack of choice in building a machine, the lack of customization, the ability to mix and match......the lack of an EXCELLENT gaming experience.....

But let's face it.... We "enthusiasts" are a very-very small portion of the overall market. In a world that is getting technically more complex every day.......most folk, the VAST MAJORITY of folks....don't give a hoot about what we enthusiasts hold dear.

They just want something simple----that works......and they will even pay a little more for that instead of being bombarded with something harder to learn and additional time involved even if it has a bunch more "choice"......

Apple gets that....and they are making a FORTUNE right now......and gonna make even more!

If only MS will see the light on this! If not, it is going to be a disaster for the PC world.......
Unfortunately, I think you are correct on all points John.
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus ROG Crossblade Ranger, AMD A10-7890K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB,

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800,
EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3,
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
fvbounty

Quote:

I, like the rest of you, don't like the closed systems, the lack of choice in building a machine, the lack of customization, the ability to mix and match......the lack of an EXCELLENT gaming experience.....

You got it right on the Head Johnrr6, I couldn't agree more!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I think you capture the sense of incredulity quite well that we're all feeling.
I can't help thinking that MS must be well aware of this issue by now, even if they didn't get it earlier.

Quote:
...If only MS will see the light on this! If not, it is going to be a disaster for the PC world.......
The thing is that Windows 7 is still there and wont be going away too soon.
The support lifecycle is what, 10 years? So it has some life in it yet.

MS's strategy may well be to push Metro hard and try to claw back some of the ground they lost asleep at the tablet wheel, while maintaining their Win 7 PC/desktop user base. Then, after Metro has established itself, they may intend to refocus and determine their strategy at that point.

Both products could run concurrently, so instead of Win 8 being the replacement for Win 7 it may just be the beginning of an interim new product line alongside Win 7. In this scenario a future product, Windows 9, could reintegrate them.

Win 7 lifecycle support
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Agreed.

Win 7 will turn out to be the most used and longest used product in Microsoft's history. But that doesn't make them a lot more money or move them forward.

And by the time Windows 9 comes out.....

They will have lost sooooo much...

Not just dollars.

But trust and user base.

Meanwhile Apple and Google keep moving even farther ahead.

I swear----I just don't get it......it's so simple and clear to me----and it seems the majority of the pundits and enthusiast community.

And the fix would be simple and easy as well.

But meanwhile---MS works hard at preventing developers from adding any kind of Start menu and actually is furiously stripping out any code that would allow users a soft landing---a bridge to Win 8.

Their heads buried clearly in the sand.

Again---I just don't get it.

But this weekend I worked with a totally different approach to what MS is doing with Win 8.

A careful blending of an established PC type interface with emerging mobile needs.
With NO abandonment of an existing user base.
With CHOICE
And finally with a definite bridge between two techs and a soft landing for old timers.

It was called APPLE and.....

I LIKED IT! LOL
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #13
WolfSoul

Something they learned from Vista seems to be to drop their products fast
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSoul View Post
Something they learned from Vista seems to be to drop their products fast
Let's hope the same is the case with Win8, but MS seems to be much more invested in Win8 and Metro such that it can't even be compared with Vista. I mean, Win2k12 Server has the freaking Metro interface

Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ. View Post
Let's hope the same is the case with Win8, but MS seems to be much more invested in Win8 and Metro such that it can't even be compared with Vista. I mean, Win2k12 Server has the freaking Metro interface
Oh great! Now all of our IT network guys, who are so heavily invested in Microsoft are going to spout how great it is just because they are "Microsoft guys" LOL

Or, this is going to scare them so badly that even they will want no part of it.

Why on earth put a consumer type interface onto a server? Unbelievable!
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580