ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Apple Patent Win vs Samsung...a good thing??

I'm not so sure.....

But I watched an interview with the foreman of the jury who awarded Apple 1 billion in damges and he explained----in layman's terms----that Samsung had clearly violated several patents....and did so "willfully" based on evidence.

No jury member owned an Apple product....

No bones in the fight....so to speak.

They came to the conclusion that an Asian company clearly violated U.S. patent Law....in fact willfully did so....

Banning the sale of 8 Samsung smartphones in the US including the Galaxy S-3 would be huge.

Can you imagine the panic at AT&T, Verizon, Sprint right now with millions of the proposed banned phones on hand.

I'm really torn on this one.....

The idea of just ignoring intellectual property and law bothers me....

But so does a sue happy Apple that is already the "Worlds biggest company"

Regardless....it is a huge win for Apple..,...and with this court ruling, release of the iPhone 5 in September----and now the rumors of an October release of the iPad min to coincide with Win 8 and the Surface......

I'm even MORE convinced that "Apple just gets it"....almost scarrily so......

Releasing an exciting product like an iPad mini coinciding with Win 8 release will hurt MS even more than that abomination of a software OS will....

Only us old timers will care about Win 8....the rest of the entire world will be focused on a new iPad blockbuster....

On second thought....maybe it helps MS....less hype....less dissappointment from consumers when Win 8 bombs......

And it WILL bomb....

Trust me LOL.

Of course---if I was so smart I WOULD have bought that Apple stock years ago at $7 a share....so there you go.....
Corsair H-100 Water Cooler
32 GB Corsair Devastator 1600 DDR
120 GB Crucial SATA III SSD
2TB WD Cavier Black SATA III
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Burner
Coolermaster Silent 850 Modular PSU
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced Case
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
steven

Re: Apple Patent Win vs Samsung...a good thing??

No, it's not a good thing. Apple's going to monopoly, and this is always a bad thing. If they had better competition, they would have to lower the prices, and provide better services, in order to hang on to their customers.

Intel Core i7-960 3.2-3.4Ghz Processor
Innovation Cooling IC Diamond 24 Carat for CPU + GPU
8GB 1333Mhz RAM (2x 4GB Configuration)
500GB 7200rpm Seagate Hard Disk
nVidia Geforce GTX560M 1.5GB GDDR5
Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
No, it's not a good thing. Apple's going to monopoly, and this is always a bad thing. If they had better competition, they would have to lower the prices, and provide better services, in order to hang on to their customers.
That's what I'm afraid of, they called MS a monopoly, Apple is really one now, if it was up to Apple the only smart phone would be the Iphone, don't get me wrong Apple makes nice stuff, I love my Ipad, but more players in the game the better, look at AMD when they where on top, it drove Intel to step up there game, and now there is not a better cpu on the market and at a good price! Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery..LOL
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
That's what I'm afraid of, they called MS a monopoly, Apple is really one now, if it was up to Apple the only smart phone would be the Iphone, don't get me wrong Apple makes nice stuff, I love my Ipad, but more players in the game the better, look at AMD when they where on top, it drove Intel to step up there game, and now there is not a better cpu on the market and at a good price! Just my 2 cents from the peanut gallery..LOL
Yeah, and if gillette hadn't had monopoly, you probably have had a blade good enough to shave the beard of that emoticon but seriously though. I do think that there's a change people will start to hate apple. I'm seeing more and more posts over the internet that blame apple for hypocrisy (they stole a lot of designs too), and make fun of it's overpriced products. It's almost cool to hate apple.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Monopolies kill competition and innovation----and raise our prices----totally agree with Steven.

Apple is ultimately doomed----but it's gong to be a while....LOL

they are riding the crest right now....

Just like MS did with Windows XP and Server 2003, and Office 2003----great prducts----that made sense and were productive....

and made MS a fortune....Continuation products of the Win 95 line, elegant, smooth, fast, made sense, small learning curve.....

Then MS got bloated, lazy and started trying to "Force Down" design.....a la Vista (which wasn't a bad product but required new hardware to work properly)....so people felt "forced"

The same thing will happen to Apple......but I don't think for a while.

The people bashing Apple are Techies and enthusiasts....

Not the common Joes.

I witnessed a conversation in the hallway between two of my teachers today....

Both NOT the most tech oriented......if you know what I mean.....

Teacher 1 "When are you going to get rid of that crap phone you have and get an iPhone?? At least I can get mine to work....
Teacher 2 "Yeah----it'a a piece of junk and I don't understand it at all....give me your iPhone, I need to text my son I will be late to pick him up from practice."

The phone she had was a farily late model Android phone that I consider to be not bad at all.....

Point is......the common Joe likes Apple and gets them because they are easy (and a bit sexy and stylish----due to apple hype and a very keen design sense.....)

But....ultimately because they are easy and understood.....there are some benefits to having a locked OS that no one else can fool with that is the SAME on all Apple mobile devices.

Bottom Line: There are waaaaay more "common Joes" than us techies......LOL

Yeah.....Apple is going to be around a while.....at least until they start forcing down abominations like Windows 8.....LOL
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580

Last edited by johnrr6; 08-30-2012 at 10:51 PM..
Old 08-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrr6 View Post
Monopolies kill competition and innovation----and raise our prices----totally agree with Steven.

Apple is ultimately doomed----but it's gong to be a while....LOL

they are riding the crest right now....

Just like MS did with Windows XP and Server 2003, and Office 2003----great prducts----that made sense and were productive....

and made MS a fortune....Continuation products of the Win 95 line, elegant, smooth, fast, made sense, small learning curve.....

Then MS got bloated, lazy and started trying to "Force Down" design.....a la Vista (which wasn't a bad product but required new hardware to work properly)....so people felt "forced"

The same thing will happen to Apple......but I don't think for a while.

The people bashing Apple are Techies and enthusiasts....

Not the common Joes.

I witnessed a conversation in the hallway between two of my teachers today....

Both NOT the most tech oriented......if you know what I mean.....

Teacher 1 "When are you going to get rid of that crap phone you have and get an iPhone?? At least I can get mine to work....
Teacher 2 "Yeah----it'a a piece of junk and I don't understand it at all....give me your iPhone, I need to text my son I will be late to pick him up from practice."

The phone she had was a farily late model Android phone that I consider to be not bad at all.....

Point is......the common Joe likes Apple and gets them because they are easy (and a bit sexy and stylish----due to apple hype and a very keen design sense.....)

But....ultimately because they are easy and understood.....there are some benefits to having a locked OS that no one else can fool with that is the SAME on all Apple mobile devices.

Bottom Line: There are waaaaay more "common Joes" than us techies......LOL

Yeah.....Apple is going to be around a while.....at least until they start forcing down abominations like Windows 8.....LOL
Very well said John, and your right, we the techies are the minority in this case, most of my wife's family have Apple products because of style and ease of use....I don't get the Help my stuff don't work can you help me calls like I used to...lol
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
XJ.

Well, it could be good for Apple in the short run, but I think their competitors will overcome this (and this doesn't apply Internationally, AFAIK). So, some rocky days perhaps for consumers, but ultimately I don't think anyone wants anything like the Wintel monopoly that is still with us.

That and Apple has no play in the Enterprise space, so it won't be an all out server to end user takeover.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
johnrr6
Lucky Amateur

Interesting you say that about the entrprise arena for Apple.....

If Win 8 bombs as a phone enterprise option....

That market will be wide open for Apple or Google.....

right now....Blackberry is hanging on by a thread with companies----because it is "all they know"

I was at a demo just the other day where Apple was touting it's new "Configurator Tool" for i devices......

It is aimed directly at the enterprise market.....

Apple is on a roll right now but "this too will pass"

The mighty get fat and lazy....and ultimately fall....

And you are right----the US is just one part of the overall market....
Sparkle Nvidia GTX-580
Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

The patent laws probably do need an update. It seems they work to block us consumers from cheaper and more innovative products.

I'd rather see a model where patent owners are entitled to a share of the profit stream from the competitions product sales rather than just taking the products off the shelves which hurts us consumers by stopping innovation.

It's ironic that innovation can be held up due to patent law, which was put in place to protect innovation by rewarding invention. Of course that was another time with different technology and culture.

But the Apple case is a good example of taking patent law to its extreme conclusion, where the inventor doesn't have the capacity or capability to take the invention to the next level quickly enough and the competitor does, but can't because of the law.

In this case Samsung appears to have had the ability to rapidly deploy improved products that were based on Apple products far more quickly than Apple itself could, or wanted to. That's because of Samsungs established production scale, I guess.

One solution for us consumers would be for the Samsungs of the world to be allowed to slavishly copy the competition so long as the patent owners received a reasonable share of the profit. This would facilitate incremental innovation while keeping the patent owners cashed up and free to make their own product innovation.

I know that sounds like the inventors ROI would be impacted, but let's face it the tech companies copy each others designs constantly which directly impacts their ROI. It's not going to stop. At least this way we would get the benefit of more product and competition in prices while reducing the lies and BS and lawyers fees.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
SpeedDMN
Silicon Avatar

What was the suit over anyway? I'm guessing it's the Siri like question and answer feature on the new Andriod OS Jellybean. Leaked quite a while ago it's what I run on my G Nex. Google's voice recognition has gotten very good. Still I rarely use it other then to show off really.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
Dunstan103
Banned

in my opinion that its not a good things. samsung has lost their market place in USA but samsung is also situated better position than Apple in the Asian market.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunstan103 View Post
in my opinion that its not a good things. samsung has lost their market place in USA but samsung is also situated better position than Apple in the Asian market.
I don't really get your position here? Why is it not good? You want Samsung to have monopoly over that market? I think that this decision balances things between the companies. Apple has a pretty bad reputation online, so that court verdict will give it a bounce. Balanced competition is by far the best. The prices decrease, the quality increases, everyone wins, except the companies, who make less money.