ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
sammy2066
ABX Public Relations

Learning curve?

So I had a very brief stint with Win 8, albeit on a VM. I was thrown off, multiple times.

How's everyone else's experience been?

The dichotomy between the Metro and standard Windows UI is just too stark, and to be quite honest, unnecessary.

I think the OS should adapt itself depending on the form factor of the device in consideration. So if I'm holding a tablet-like device in my hand, I should ONLY have access to the Metro interface and Metro-style apps.

Just my $0.02.

I had a hard time trying to find out how to shut down my damn VM. That's not cool. I spent too much time switching back and forth; there was too much duplication (or forced segregation of tasks). MS risks alienating a user base that has grown accustomed to doing things a certain way, for decades. I agree change is a good thing, but it needs to be sufficiently justified. Change for the sake of change is just a bad idea.

What do you guys think?
Most users ever online was 1,377, 04-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
fvbounty

Re: Learning curve?

I haven't played with W8 but from all the stuff I've read its not for me, I Love W7 and it does everything I need plus I just don't like the Metro UI, its ugly!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2066 View Post
...The dichotomy between the Metro and standard Windows UI is just too stark, and to be quite honest, unnecessary...
It is a big shift from the desktop UI isnt it? Of course thats to be expected with a touch screen interface. Touch screen was always going to need a completely different UI than a mouse/kb requires. For instance, trying to press those tiny menu buttons with fingers was never going to work as well as using a mouse pointer. And of course a touch screen interface really demands gestures and swipes for efficiency and ease of use.

The irrational part is that Win 8 requires the user to use the Metro UI even when not using a touch screen. It would have been a whole lot smarter if the OS could detect the device type and then invoke the appropriate UI, Metro or Desktop, as needed.

Also, the desktop UI in Win 8 is a hybrid between the two approaches and ends up being unsatisfactory compared with Win 7, a retrograde step.

Its all because MS wants one UI across all the device platforms. That delivers benefits to them; such as easier support and development as well as helping to keep customers on the Win 8 format, rather than customers having a MS product for their PC and a competitors product on their phone or tablet. Its really MS's attempt to lock us into their product.

Only time will tell if the strategy will work. To me, as i said, it seems a little irrational and therefore unlikely. For example; as a user I dont want buttons to be split between the left and right sides of my monitor just to accomodate the tablet left hand/right handed grip positions. There is no "gripping" when using a kb and mouse. Same for the toolbars being positioned around the screen edges and worst of all the screen real-estate being dominated by one app. Having side-by-side and windowed/layered apps is far more functional with a wide screen, kb and mouse.

So i'd conclude at this point that Win 8 Metro (or whatever they call it now) is a retrograde step for the non-touch interface devices, especially kb/mouse combo.

Should we, as users, feel ungrateful about that? - you bet we should, as it impacts our productivety and sends us backwards. Does having a smart touch screen interface for our mobile devices make up for the loss on our PC's? No way!

Of course we always have Win 7, but MS already shows signs of reducing support for it. I just cant see much future for the PC, kb and mouse format, which is sad because you cannot tweak and mod laptops and tablets.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 11-11-2012 at 12:20 AM..
Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
Of course we always have Win 7, but MS already shows signs of reducing support for it. I just cant see much future for the PC, kb and mouse format, which is sad because you cannot tweak and mod laptops and tablets.
Yes, for example, where is Win7 SP2? It was rumored to be out this past summer. Supposedly, it didn't have many changes, more of a patch roll-up than anything, to make it easier to install.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
Falklan
Sing your death song!

Zap pretty much sums it up.

Win 8 is a touchscreen OS for phones, tablets and other equipment used on touchscreens.

IMO it fails as a desktop OS completely, and I won't even try it on a PC.

It's Vista 2.0 IMO...
(2) Samsung 850 Pro 128GB (RAID0-OS Only) - Crucial 240GB (game cache)
(2) WD Black 1TB (storage/backup)
Samsung 830 128GB (scratch/cache)
Pioneer BD+R - Samsung DVD+R
Samsung 32" HDTV - Dell 21.5" LCD
Zboard - SteelSeries WoW MMO - MSI Interceptor
Windows 10 Pro x64
Behringer Q1002USB - BM-800 Condenser Mic/Boom