ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
TheeOx

Location: Mayville, Wisconsin..Gods country...in fact He lives in the apartment...above me.
WIFI/Hardwired connection issue

Hello all,
I have an HP hardwired pc and a Dell wifi lappy.

My question: How can I connect the 2 computers so they can see each other, share files, etc.

Thanks in advance!
The ox

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: WIFI/Hardwired connection issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeOx View Post
Hello all,
I have an HP hardwired pc and a Dell wifi lappy.

My question: How can I connect the 2 computers so they can see each other, share files, etc.

Thanks in advance!
The ox
You could get either a wi-fi adapter for the PC or possibly plug the laptop into your wi-fi router, assuming you're using one and it supports that.
Whats your network setup?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
TheeOx

Location: Mayville, Wisconsin..Gods country...in fact He lives in the apartment...above me.

The lap top is on my wifi so I cannot plug it in. Can I plug in my hard wired PC to the adapter?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
The lap top is on my wifi so I cannot plug it in. Can I plug in my hard wired PC to the adapter?
The solution depends on your setup. How are you connecting to wi-fi now? Do you have a wi-fi router? is yyour PC connected to the net? If so, how?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
TheeOx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
The solution depends on your setup. How are you connecting to wi-fi now? Do you have a wi-fi router? is yyour PC connected to the net? If so, how?
I am connected to wi fi with a Cisco DPC2325. My pc has a broadband connection. Pc has Win 7, Dell lap top has XP, later this week getting Dell Lap top with Win 7.

Thanks for the reply!

Thee
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
I am connected to wi fi with a Cisco DPC2325. My pc has a broadband connection. Pc has Win 7, Dell lap top has XP, later this week getting Dell Lap top with Win 7.

Thanks for the reply!

Thee
Ok, well it took me all of 30 seconds to find your Wi-fi router user manual on the web.
Page 13 shows that its got 4 rj-45 ports on the rear, so you can connect your PC and the additional laptop to those (using cables). Page 20 has a diagram showing the connections.

You may have to configure the router, but i suspect it will work "out of the box", but see how you go and post if any problems.

If the 2nd laptop also has wi-fi then narurally you wont need to connect it with a cable.

Cisco Model DPC/EPC2325 Residential Gateway - Support - Cable Modems - Consumer - Cisco

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
Falklan
Sing your death song!

Using the settings outlined in the attached image should allow your Win 7 and Win XP systems to function properly in a workgroup.

Each system on my LAN can see all others and sharing/streaming works fine on each system.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Config.gif (36.8 KB, 13 views)
(2) Samsung 850 Pro 128GB (RAID0-OS Only) - Crucial 240GB (game cache)
(2) WD Black 1TB (storage/backup)
Samsung 830 128GB (scratch/cache)
Pioneer BD+R - Samsung DVD+R
Samsung 32" HDTV - Dell 21.5" LCD
Zboard - SteelSeries WoW MMO - MSI Interceptor
Windows 10 Pro x64
Behringer Q1002USB - BM-800 Condenser Mic/Boom
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
TheeOx

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
Ok, well it took me all of 30 seconds to find your Wi-fi router user manual on the web.
Page 13 shows that its got 4 rj-45 ports on the rear, so you can connect your PC and the additional laptop to those (using cables). Page 20 has a diagram showing the connections.

You may have to configure the router, but i suspect it will work "out of the box", but see how you go and post if any problems.

If the 2nd laptop also has wi-fi then narurally you wont need to connect it with a cable.

Cisco Model DPC/EPC2325 Residential Gateway - Support - Cable Modems - Consumer - Cisco
Hi Zap,
Thank you for all the info! I dont, however, want to wire my Dell Laptop to the router as it is a wifi laptop. But yer ingo will surely help.
I'm Goin' in..wish me luck!
Thee Ox
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
TheeOx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn_abx View Post
Using the settings outlined in the attached image should allow your Win 7 and Win XP systems to function properly in a workgroup.

Each system on my LAN can see all others and sharing/streaming works fine on each system.

Hope this helps!
Hi Spawn,
Thanks way to much for the attachment! Are you saying this is all I have to do to get my current Win 7 & Dell Lappy XP machines to play nice with each other?
Also, if I create a workgroup on my own, will all this still work?

Thanks again - as you have been so helpful.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Falklan
Sing your death song!

You should be able to choose your own workgroup name.

The default for Win 7 is "WORKGROUP." I just leave it be.
Windows 10 Pro x64
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
TheeOx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn_abx View Post
You should be able to choose your own workgroup name.

The default for Win 7 is "WORKGROUP." I just leave it be.
Deep. Thanks Spawn. I've had some success with this homegroup thing since I last posted, thankfully.
Thanks again to you and everyone who has helped me with all the computer issues I've had.

Thee Ox

Last edited by TheeOx; 02-14-2013 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: I dunno.... Nothing good on Dr Phil so I thought '' Hmmmm... I think I'll edit...yeah....."
Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
Falklan
Sing your death song!

I've learned that the best thing to do is basically disable the HomeGroup all together.

First you need to leave your HomeGroup completely.
Second you have to use User accounts to connect to other computers.
If you look at the image I posted, see the very bottom option to Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers, select this option.

What this does, you stop using the new HomeGroup features, and revert back to the XP style workgroup networking.

I've done this on two or three different residential networks, and two different small business networks. All the Win 7, Vista, XP systems share and access shares just fine.
Windows 10 Pro x64