(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 09-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #212
GWillakers

Re: New build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
Thanks for the good info GWillakers.

The one point you made at the top, I wonder if that is old school because SSD controllers are different animals from the old mech. drives. When you think about it, a mech. disc with a platter spinning one way is going to force a certain series pattern whereas a solid state cell array allows you to write anywhere. Also SSD controllers do wear leveling and I think they make the most out of limited storage cells so not as much space is wasted.

It IS old school. That is the point. What you learned years ago IS Still relevant.

If you right click on a text file that only contains the word "hello", windows will show you that the file is about 7 bytes long but will also show you the space it takes up on disk. That space is gonna be a multiple of your cluster size. Probably 4K for most people.

The Operating systems talks the the Disk controller. Be it a simple Disk controller, Raid controller...whatever

Now remember that Rotating platters ARE DIFFERENT from SSD's as well as USB Dongles. But the OPERATING SYSTEM only has to deal at the CLUSTER Level. It reads and writes CLUSTERS. It for the most part doesn't care if the device which is attached to the Disk controller is SSD, HDD or USB.
It is a black box operation. The OS says here is a cluster, go write it.

The Disk controller will communicate with the device, set is spinning, buffer the output, set up compression, stripe it, generate parity iniformation, whatever... It deals with the physical ways it needs to store the cluster. It ultimately has one responsibility.... to give the CLUSTER back to the Operating system if it gets requested.

It is important to rembember those Levels of software have not gone away.

1. Application ... deals with records to be written to a file.
2. O/S ... find the file, search chains to find clusters belonging to file
and tell the Controllers Device driver what clusters to read/write
Set up buffering by O/S
3. Controller ... IF Disk, find Head/track/Sector
IF RAID find the stripes to read write
check parity.
4. Firmware data compression. whatever

An SSD will track it's own space, but all the file structure of the file system still have to be in place.
Everything you learned about directory searches, Freespace pointers, volume space tables, all still exist for the designated file system.
WorkStation ASUS P9X79 WS/BIOS 4802/Intel XEON E5-2687W SR0KG 3.1GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) 8 Core/16 Thread - 20MB L3/Intel Stock AC Cooler/Antec P180 case/Thermaltake Smart M 850W PSU/4x8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I/ASUS GTX 970 STRIX graphics card/System drive Samsung 850 Pro 512GB/Data drives 2x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001/1 TB Seagate/Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Internet/Gaming SuperMicro X9SRA BIOS 3.2/Intel XEON E5-1620 4C/8T (3.6 GHz -3.8GHz) 10MB cache/Noctua NH-U12S/PNY GTX 1070 8GB graphics card/Antec Sonata Case/Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU/4x8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I/System drive Intel 520 Series 240GB,Samsung 850 Pro 512GB as Steam drive/Intel X25-M 80GB/Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #213
Sandog

Well if 4K seems to be the average write size from tests than that is probably the best setting even though it requires more processing for larger files. I know programs/files have been getting bigger and bigger as time goes by. Anyway, you sound mad about it. I think my test was a good idea. You could choose a large file and a little file and see the difference in space it takes up on an SSD and a mech. hard drive to prove your point. If I'm not mistaken (and don't get mad) you are saying that 4k clusters is not optimum.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #214
GWillakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
Well if 4K seems to be the average write size from tests than that is probably the best setting even though it requires more processing for larger files. I know programs/files have been getting bigger and bigger as time goes by. Anyway, you sound mad about it. I think my test was a good idea. You could choose a large file and a little file and see the difference in space it takes up on an SSD and a mech. hard drive to prove your point. If I'm not mistaken (and don't get mad) you are saying that 4k clusters is not optimum.
Sorry Sandog, didn't mean to give the impression that I was mad.
I am not mad at all. I do feel very strong though that 4k is not optimum anymore.

Average file size is well over a couple hundred K, and writing one 8K cluster is nowhere near twice as long as the time to write two 4K clusters. Plus one must consider the extra wear and tear on the SSD.

Sorry once again if I come off mad. Really not mad at all. There are some points that I feel very strongly on. On my side it is sort of like very loud cheering from the stands.
WorkStation ASUS P9X79 WS/BIOS 4802/Intel XEON E5-2687W SR0KG 3.1GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) 8 Core/16 Thread - 20MB L3/Intel Stock AC Cooler/Antec P180 case/Thermaltake Smart M 850W PSU/4x8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I/ASUS GTX 970 STRIX graphics card/System drive Samsung 850 Pro 512GB/Data drives 2x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001/1 TB Seagate/Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Internet/Gaming SuperMicro X9SRA BIOS 3.2/Intel XEON E5-1620 4C/8T (3.6 GHz -3.8GHz) 10MB cache/Noctua NH-U12S/PNY GTX 1070 8GB graphics card/Antec Sonata Case/Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU/4x8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I/System drive Intel 520 Series 240GB,Samsung 850 Pro 512GB as Steam drive/Intel X25-M 80GB/Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Last edited by GWillakers; 09-04-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #215
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWillakers View Post
Sorry Sandog, didn't mean to give the impression that I was mad.
I am not mad at all. I do feel very strong though that 4k is not optimum anymore.

Average file size is well over a couple hundred K, and writing one 8K cluster is nowhere near twice as long as the time to write two 4K clusters. Plus one must consider the extra wear and tear on the SSD.

Sorry once again if I come off mad. Really not mad at all. There are some points that I feel very strongly on. On my side it is sort of like very loud cheering from the stands.
Cool beans, even if you were mad it happens. No problems.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.