ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Shadow_Raven

New to Windows 7 - questions & rants

I have been using my desktop pc with windows XP for about 10 years now. Just before Christmas, my pc developed some fault which causes the pc to randomly reboot. (If I'm lucky, it's still usable the first time, if not, it reboots 2 or 3 times more and then it won't detect the boot drive.) So I started to look at laptops, did my research and bought one. I have the laptop for about 3.5 weeks and I have been configuring it during that time. It has windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on it (this is my first laptop and my first time using windows 7).

At first I was having some problems adjusting to the differences of windows 7 from XP. I was not liking those differences. In XP you could find things and reconfigure them to the way you want. In 7, for some reason, Microsoft is now 'hiding' things, making it difficult to find stuff. I had to search for information online in order to find where Microsoft hid this or that and very quickly it became very annoying. For instance, I had to find where my Start menu was and where the default user start menu was to reconfigure them. Stuff like that was easily found in XP and now 'hidden' in 7. I also do not like the concept of 'Libraries' and virtual folders where the OS sticks files in. I want to turn that off - I don't know if that is possible. I like to organize my data and know the exact folder location of where it is and organize the files and folders the way I want.

The one thing that I realized a few days ago, I want the files and folders in the Start menu (under All Programs) to be listed in the order I had under XP which is not in alphabetical order. I tried to move the folders but it didn't work. I also tried to move the files I had in a folder on desktop and they wouldn't move either. I tried to change the settings in the 'sort by' menu and I couldn't do it. Last night, I did another search online and read some articles that stated Microsoft removed the 'auto arrange' and 'align to grid' in the sort by menu - that windows 7 automatically lists files and folders alphabetically and this can't be turned off. A lot of people are really ticked off by this - and I'm one of them. I have files in my folders that are in the order I want, not alphabetically which I do not want. This makes windows 7 practically unusable for me.

I found 2 registry hacks that bring back 'auto arrange' and 'align to grid' but have some minor side effects. The only other solution, is to install Classic Shell which is what I will probably do. This really stinks.

The other problem is Outlook Express is gone. It was replaced by Windows Mail in Vista (which removed some functions) and that is now replaced with Windows Live Mail (which has removed more functions).

So far, I'm really not impressed with windows 7, I think XP for the most part, is better then windows 7. Anyone know another way of bring back 'auto arrange' and 'align to grid' ?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Griff

Re: New to Windows 7 - questions & rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Raven View Post
I have been using my desktop pc with windows XP for about 10 years now. Just before Christmas, my pc developed some fault which causes the pc to randomly reboot. (If I'm lucky, it's still usable the first time, if not, it reboots 2 or 3 times more and then it won't detect the boot drive.) So I started to look at laptops, did my research and bought one. I have the laptop for about 3.5 weeks and I have been configuring it during that time. It has windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on it (this is my first laptop and my first time using windows 7).

At first I was having some problems adjusting to the differences of windows 7 from XP. I was not liking those differences. In XP you could find things and reconfigure them to the way you want. In 7, for some reason, Microsoft is now 'hiding' things, making it difficult to find stuff. I had to search for information online in order to find where Microsoft hid this or that and very quickly it became very annoying. For instance, I had to find where my Start menu was and where the default user start menu was to reconfigure them. Stuff like that was easily found in XP and now 'hidden' in 7. I also do not like the concept of 'Libraries' and virtual folders where the OS sticks files in. I want to turn that off - I don't know if that is possible. I like to organize my data and know the exact folder location of where it is and organize the files and folders the way I want.

The one thing that I realized a few days ago, I want the files and folders in the Start menu (under All Programs) to be listed in the order I had under XP which is not in alphabetical order. I tried to move the folders but it didn't work. I also tried to move the files I had in a folder on desktop and they wouldn't move either. I tried to change the settings in the 'sort by' menu and I couldn't do it. Last night, I did another search online and read some articles that stated Microsoft removed the 'auto arrange' and 'align to grid' in the sort by menu - that windows 7 automatically lists files and folders alphabetically and this can't be turned off. A lot of people are really ticked off by this - and I'm one of them. I have files in my folders that are in the order I want, not alphabetically which I do not want. This makes windows 7 practically unusable for me.

I found 2 registry hacks that bring back 'auto arrange' and 'align to grid' but have some minor side effects. The only other solution, is to install Classic Shell which is what I will probably do. This really stinks.

The other problem is Outlook Express is gone. It was replaced by Windows Mail in Vista (which removed some functions) and that is now replaced with Windows Live Mail (which has removed more functions).

So far, I'm really not impressed with windows 7, I think XP for the most part, is better then windows 7. Anyone know another way of bring back 'auto arrange' and 'align to grid' ?

You could try Ultimate Windows Tweak, it does a lot of things, but I cannot remember all it does. Here is a link for the download.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker - CNET Download.com
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
Mushkin Redline 4x8 32GB DDR 1600 CAS 8
Asus GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU 1020MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ
Samsung 840 EVO SSD For O/S
SilverStone Strider 750W Modular
LG BlueRay Burner
Seagate1TB SATA for Photos
USB 3.0 Hitachi 350 GB for Data
USB 3.0 Seagate Free Go for Back up
Built in Card Read
Win10 Pro
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
traveler
Where to next?

Hey Shadow_Raven ....

Welcome to the world of downgrading your operating system with every new operating system release. Incredibly stupid morons have taken over.

Listen to the chant in the distance: "... we must make everyone a moron like us ..."

Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I wish that developers would provide configuration settings for everything.

Every time they're about to hard code something I'd like them to stop and think: "what if the user wants to do this another way?" And then provide options.

Sure, there are always constraints; for example the framework of the app may be fixed in a certain paradigm - but within that there should always be flexibility. Just a few alternatives in each case would be convenient, and definitely no assumptions and defaults.

And configuration parameters should all be centrally accessed and managed by app name.

Open source lets you re-configure the code but you need to put on a developers hat to do that, and maintain it, welcome to a whole world of pain right there.

Usually it's just the UI that needs options, wouldn't be too hard IMO.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Shadow_Raven

That's what I don't understand the mentality of certain programmers. Way back when I was at college, I use to do programming and my basis was that people are have different tastes. Having the program behave in certain way, some might love it, while others will hate it. In the end, always have the program being customizable so that each user can have it run the way THEY want to - then everyone's happy. Unfortunately, most of the time this doesn't happen. It seems the method is: bring out the new version, remove features, and cut back on the user customize options. On the website where I found a thread on how to bring back the Auto Arrange and Align To Grid, a person there said it the best: "I want to store and view my data the way I want to, not the way Microsoft wants to." I completely agree.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Raven View Post
That's what I don't understand the mentality of certain programmers...
I don't believe the problem is at the programmer level, it's the developer (the business itself). Increasing functionality requires addititional design and testing and therefore increases costs.

I think this is why apps seem to be getting dumbed down these days.
Some of my games have more configuration controls than many of the business apps I use.

I'd like to see apps built using the object oriented approach. I don't mean the code, but the functionality. Give me a tool box of related business classes with simple exposed interfaces and I'll configure them the way I want.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Shadow_Raven

I went to the Classic Shell website and and checked their faq (Can Classic Shell disable the "Auto-arrange" feature in Explorer?):

Classic Shell: FAQ

Answer - No. Well that leaves the registry hack method -> Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable

Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Unfortunately, this has a side effect of changing Tiles to Extended Tiles. (I don't know what Extended Tiles is.) There is another registry hack for disabling Full Row Select (I have no idea what that is) which has a side effect of disabling Auto Arrange.

This is one issue (out of two) that I haven't liked about windows 7 so far. The other issue is explorer does not remember the size and the position on screen for each folder. I change the size of one folder and suddenly all folders are now that size. Or I close one folder and when I open another folder, it opens in the same spot as the previous folder rather then then the last location that folder was closed. I think there is a registry hack to fix that. I'm not sure if there will be a conflict between the 2 hacks. I can't believe Microsoft did this to windows 7. If it wasn't for these 2 big problems, I would be enjoying 7.