ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: BioShock Infinite

Yeah, seems alright so far, but I've only just arrived and there appears to be a holiday celebration going on. Our character seems to know nothing, but OTOH wants to find the girl for some unstated reason and is staying incognito.

The graphics are pretty, but fall into the "artistic" category with little interaction or physics going on. This game has been described as highly immersive by some reviewers which I'm really looking for but so far not finding. The graphics are stylized as is typical of Bioshock and expected, but they also seem fairly contrived to me. That may sound odd, but the real world isnt very contrived looking (unless you're in an English garden or shopping centre).

If we look at a game like Alan Wake for comparison (which is a completely different type of game but is also highly immersive) there is a great deal of detail there with many objects to interact with which provides an increased sense of realism and immersion. The environment appears organic and to have evolved randomly, as would be the case in a real world national park or small town. It loos and feels very natural (although linear).

This first level looks very neat, clean and basically empty of detail.

Of course I don't mean it's not elaborate or ornate, which it certainly is. 'Detail' is the little things that create a sense of randomness or asymmetry which is how real life really is. The game art so far has a very neat manicured look that I find completely unrealistic and consequently not very immersive.

The floating city is very interesting but doesn't impress me the way the floating buildings in Ringworld did. I know that's a novel and not a game, but obviously it's the inspiration for this city. The buildings are all small looking and bunched whereas in that novel they were large and "free floating".

Anyway, this is just first impressions, I'm only just here, and I expect it to improve a lot as per the reviews.

Now, the other thing that's worth comparing is the art of this to say Dishonored or Borderlands2, both recent and very stylized. Honestly the art of Dishonored seems "better" but probably because it looks more realistic to me which I prefer.
Borderlands has that annoying heavy outline around everything (by design) which I don't like. I hope that BI can pick up in this respect, possibly once I get away from this manicured, contrived looking city.

I'm also alarmed by the lack of AI. the NPC's are also just background art, repeating their actions in little hard loops. I would have preferred that they added some free agents to move around randomly and interact more with us as well as these fixed animations. Once again, it breaks immersion for me.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #17
polonyc2
Legacy

what a game!...what a great story!...I'm totally hooked...love the colors in the game...the voice acting is top notch (especially with Dewitt and Elizabeth)...she could have been an annoying tag-along all game but she's very interesting...love the tears and the sky lines and the vigors and pretty much everything!...almost every vigor is fun to use and it's hard choosing 1...right now I'm mainly using Shock Jockey and upgraded Devil's Kiss...but the Bronco one was also a lot of fun!

nice amount of secret areas to explore and hidden items as well

only major negative to the game (besides the lack of difficulty) is the way Elizabeth constantly throws you med kits, salts and $$...she's literally making the challenge almost non-existent...yes I still die but I wish she would relax with helping you out so much...I'm also wondering what effect your choices have in the game...there are quite a few instances where you have to choose between 2 items or let a character live or die etc and I'm curious if it has any real consequences

G.Skill Ripjaw Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 *****
G.Skill Falcon I 256GB SSD
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
AuzenTech Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 *****
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 speakers
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Windows 10 Home 64-bit *****
NZXT Sentry 2 5.25" Touch Screen fan controller
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 ***** Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 (Black)

Last edited by polonyc2; 03-29-2013 at 03:24 AM..
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
traveler
Where to next?

I just picked up my copy. It was the only PC pre-order of this game at my local GameStop.

There's some kind of weird critter with big wings in the box. The box window doesn't let a lot of light in so I can't see it well yet.

And ... yes ... I got the "Season Pass" and why not ... with a $20 discount it makes the $19.95 "Season Pass" free.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
polonyc2
Legacy

I finished the game last night...30 hours to finish with lots of exploring...Ken Levine has cemented his stature as one of the smartest minds in gaming...another classic story...the very definition of story-driven gameplay...a lot to take in at the end and it makes your brain hurt thinking about it...how 1 man can create such a mind melt is a testament to his genius!...lots to think about and discuss...and as usual, watch until after the end-credits for 1 final scene...yes the game mechanics itself were nothing too unique (outside of the Sky-lines and vigors) but the story (much like the original BioShock) is the star

great sense of immersion...I think Rapture might be more immersive overall but Columbia is pretty excellent as well

special shout out to the voice acting of Troy Baker (Booker) and Courtnee Draper (Elizabeth)...they really did a fantastic job...I mainly used the Shock Jockey and Devil's Kiss vigors with some Possession thrown in...played on 'Hard' the game really wasn't all that hard except for a few spots...the final battle before the endgame reveal was the biggest challenge...I think Elizabeth has surpassed Half Life 2's Alyx as the best female sidekick ever in a game

Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD

Last edited by polonyc2; 04-02-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
fvbounty

Thanks Poly, you sound like everyone else about this game, they just LOVE it, I never played the original but this sounds really good I should try it...Thanks again!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

Hey Poly.. Elizabeth is a pain-in-the**s.

Valerie from FO3 was my best female sidekick
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Gold 1TB, ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Corsair 550D Case including 3x120 Corsair SP120 Fans,
Seasonic Prime Platinum 650 PSU
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Ducky One White LED KB Cherry Blue, Logitech MX518
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
iPhone 7+ 32GB, iPad 32GB WiFi, iPad 16GB WiFi
Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #22
Drufuss

But you can see her nipple!!
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

Certainly, need to look close enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drufuss View Post
But you can see her nipple!!
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Oh well, I'm different I guess. I'm not completely in love with the game.
It looks good, but I found Dishonored looked pretty good too. The artwork is a novel change from the more realistic graphics we're used to.

The combat AI could be better. It's not too bad, but I wouldn't call it particularly clever. The combat is satisfying, although occasional control issues pop up, such as sticking walk or cumbersome weapon handling. Love the vigors, but this is nothing new. Wish we had a non-sticky aim down the site.
The FOV feels too low despite me maxing it out.

I think the characters and their animations are brilliant. Very well done.

The plot/story which people have raved about; I dk. It's good, not very cliched, but not amazing to me. Sometimes I found it to be a little confusing, same as the first Bioshock, especially the audio recordings. Actually I find those to be less believable than say Doom 3's emails and disks. Just why is everyone recording themselves?

The Boxer rebellion display was kinda weird, the issue about who led the 7th seems in poor taste given the sacking, looting and raping by the western powers that followed, but I understand the plot is about racism. Just not sure how it all fits together yet I guess.

As for immersion; that frequently breaks for me. Too many artistic contrivances.
All very pretty, but more of a spectacle than a real world. Compare with STALKER where I AM the Marked One all the way from the first load to the eventual exit. Or more recently Alan Wake, which is very immersive and has an interesting story.

I'm not sure about the rail thing. It gives a similar feeling as Batman:Arkham Asylum, but is no where near as flexible or fun. Kinda restricted a lot of the time.

So, I'm not that impressed, but certainly enjoying it. Something addictive about collecting salts, vigors and new weapons, as always.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that Dishonored was a great game.
Want to replay that one.

Forgot to mention stealth, which seems broken/not implemented in this game, which is a big disappointment.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #25
polonyc2
Legacy

as far as which game is better, the original BioShock or Infinite that's a tough call for me...I'd have to give the immersion award to Rapture...maybe it was because the more confined setting more naturally will give a greater sense of immersion but Columbia is no slouch...as for gameplay elements, the original had a lot more features including hacking, taking photos to increase damage stats etc but Infinite has things such as sky-lines and the best female sidekick in any video gamer ever- Elizabeth

as far as main protaganist...Andrew Ryan vs Comstock...I'd give the nod to Ryan...better backstory and overall smarts...as far as end-game twists that's also tough but I think the original wins again with 'would you kindly...' over 'bring us the girl and wipe away the debt'...Infinite is more twisty and complex but overall I give a very slight edge overall to the original game

BioShock original gets an A+ while Infinite gets an A-
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #26
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Flip, the plot just did a right angle turn on me. There's more to this story than I originally thought. Will have to see where this rabbit hole goes.

This game is all about the art, characterizations and the plot/story.
The combat seems to be just light entertainment in between the interesting stuff. The violence doesnt seem well integrated with what's happening in the plot. It's almost as if the fps elements are just there gratuitously for our benefit, but not really that relevant.

There's a lot of strategy in how you manage your inventory and how you approach some levels, but it remains very linear and some levels are too small.

It almost feels like an old time adventure game that's been mixed up with an fps, although the fps side dominates. It needs puzzles and less fps IMO. I think the fps aspect is detracting from the plot.

It would have helped a lot more if most of the battles were about defending Elizabeth rather than just mowing down wave after wave of enemies for the fun of it, but she doesn't need much of our assistance. I think this is a major flaw in what is shaping up to be an otherwise very entertaining game.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 04-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTram View Post
Ditto. Logged off for a bit so I could finish "Dishonored". Immediately downloaded BioShock. I am really enjoying it so far. It's interesting as you look into every nook and cranny. It's a keeper!
did you finish Infinite yet?...if so what did you think of the ending?
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD
Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #28
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

I finished it last night. The ending was interesting -
Spoiler:
so many Elizabeths. Not really sure what to think?

All in all, great graphics/game. I enjoyed riding the rails!!! Not too immersive though. Should not need a Phd in literature to fully grasp the ending.
Spoiler:
I did have a hunch who Comstock was though

I guess I am a FO3 and Skyrim person.

Just bought the Dragonborne DLC for Skyrim. I'll play that till Metrolight matures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polonyc2 View Post
did you finish Infinite yet?...if so what did you think of the ending?
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 04-06-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
polonyc2
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTram View Post
I finished it last night.

All in all, great graphics/game. I enjoyed riding the rails!!! Not too immersive though. Should not need a Phd in literature to fully grasp the ending.

I guess I am a FO3 and Skyrim person.

Just bought the Dragonborne DLC for Skyrim. I'll play that till Metrolight matures.
you should put some of your post in spoiler tags in case people don't want the ending spoiled

there are plenty of explanations online which help fill in the missing pieces...makes sense when you see how everything fits...here are some decent articles explaining the ending...

BioShock Infinites ending explained, and what we think about it | News | PC Gamer

An Explanation of BioShock Infinites Ending (VIDEO) | gamefront.com

BioShock Infinite ending explained Eurogamer.net

I'm off replaying Tomb Raider now...
Lian Li PC-A70B (black)
***** Corsair HX850W
Lite-On IHAS424
***** NEC 2490WUXi LCD

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 04-06-2013 at 07:37 PM..
Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #30
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Guys, seriously SPOILER tags, PLEASE, like, WTF!?
Unsubtle hints about the game plot or ending are not appreciated!!
I thought that would be obvious, you're not newbies to PC gaming or the forum?

I've added tags to your post JimTram and removed the quotes from yours polonyc2.

Would you please remember others are still playing or are yet to even start the game and they dont need/want spoiler discussion about the details.

"You Cannot Hide..."