ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
plainman007

Norton Ghost 9. Taking abnormally long to backup 160gb drive partition.

Hi,

My system consists of
C: 160GB independent OS drive. (only used for OS)
D: 250GB independent DATA drive. (containing about 160gb of data on it)
F: 500GB independent NORTON BACKUP drive. (only used to store backups of the other drives)

I just upgraded the D: drive to a 500GB drive and partitioned it into 2 halves as D: for official data and E: for home media. The same 160gb data image of the previous independent D: disk was restored (from my 500gb BACKUP disk) onto this new D: partition. So data is basically the same in size. Except its now restored on a partitioned 250gb.

Now when i tried to take a backup as i usually do every week of my D: it took approx 3 hours for 10% of the job, so i had to abort as that sums up to a whopping 30 hrs to complete the job !!!

Everything else is the same. The same OS original install with the same Norton Ghost 9 install which used to handle my backup with reasonable speed. The same 500GB BACKUP Drive.

What am i doing wrong here ? Any HDD settings, PO settings or something the matter ??

Last edited by plainman007; 02-04-2014 at 05:49 AM..
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
zepherzs

Re: Norton Ghost 9. Taking abnormally long to backup 160gb drive partition.

Just some quick thoughts off the top of my head.

Have you just created this new setup recently, or have you had it working before?

~~~~~~~~

...how much 'Free Space' left on the partition you are backing up in to?

When you are creating an image of your new partition, are you sure it's just imaging the newly created 250 GB partition and not the whole 500 GB drive?

Are you then sure you have de-selected the copy 'sector by sector' option?

Have you done chkdsk (scandisk on older) on the OS partition, actually on all partitions?

I see you've posted this question in two places which may get confusing, I'll just reply to this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
XJ.

Sorry plainman007, I used Acronis 2014, which seems to be the best version yet (though it's too bloated in terms of features).

Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
plainman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepherzs View Post
Just some quick thoughts off the top of my head.

Have you just created this new setup recently, or have you had it working before?

~~~~~~~~

...how much 'Free Space' left on the partition you are backing up in to?

When you are creating an image of your new partition, are you sure it's just imaging the newly created 250 GB partition and not the whole 500 GB drive?

Are you then sure you have de-selected the copy 'sector by sector' option?

Have you done chkdsk (scandisk on older) on the OS partition, actually on all partitions?

I see you've posted this question in two places which may get confusing, I'll just reply to this one.

Thanks for replying. Somehow now Norton is behaving properly and it took the back-up in just 1 hr. The reason i panicked was because yesterday in spite of repeated reboots also it was needing 30 hrs to backup. Somehow today morning when i switched on my system and wanted to give it a final go it suddenly worked fine.

But just from a technical standpoint of view.....Everything is the same setup which was working for at least 3 years or so.
The only part that changed was that i took out my D: Data drive (250gb) and replaced it with a 500gb drive. This drive i then partitioned into 2 halves.
Then using my SRD disk i restored the old image (which is on the independent backup drive) of my removed 250gb drive onto the new partition. The size of the image is 160gb and so the free space is quite a lot given that each partition is 233gb in size.

Yes right after installation the system itself suggested and ran chkdsk on both the partitions.

100% sure it wasnt imaging the whole 500gb. Even that wouldnt need 30 hrs so it was something else.

There was no copy sector by sector option selected and i used the same simple options that i usually do on a regular basis and have got used to it a lot. Thats why i didnt even upgrade to the latest NG 12 as is on my video workstation.

I guess this is one of those mysterious windows moments which has no legitimate answers ? Because when the situation rights itself its some process somewhere in some nook that was probably delaying the procedure.

My apologies for the dual post in search for quick help, but i thought my HDD was going down (with my data since the failed attempt removed the old image which i had on the backup drive) and started panicking.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
plainman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ. View Post
Sorry plainman007, I used Acronis 2014, which seems to be the best version yet (though it's too bloated in terms of features).
Hi XJ,

Yeah have heard about Acronis a lot, but im stuck with some pretty ancient apps and am OCD about these things. Im a computer dinosaur.

Best wishes and thanks for writing.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
zepherzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainman007 View Post
Thanks for replying. Somehow now Norton is behaving properly and it took the back-up in just 1 hr. The reason i panicked was because yesterday in spite of repeated reboots also it was needing 30 hrs to backup. Somehow today morning when i switched on my system and wanted to give it a final go it suddenly worked fine.
I'm very happy for you that you got it going 007, although not knowing what is was can be perplexing. However as you know just make sure you have a current backup image of every partition, which pretty much makes you nearly failsafe, as far as data loss goes.

Happy Imaging!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
plainman007

Yes i always do that. Thats why i have an independent BACKUP drive of 500gb. That drive contains nothing but an image of my OS Drive & Data Drives.

So there's always an internal back-up but the only thing i should be careful is when i initiate any new backup it overwrites the old backup (im anyway restricted to being within 500gb right) and so if the backup process goofs anywhere. Then that image which was overwritten also disappears which is windows file overwriting norms.

Yes the reason i again described the entire process was to see if there was some sort of basis as to why this happened. But somethings will remain mysteries .

Thanks for helping and happy computing to you too !!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
zepherzs

Quote:
i should be careful is when i initiate any new backup it overwrites the old backup (im anyway restricted to being within 500gb right) and so if the backup process goofs anywhere. Then that image which was overwritten also disappears which is windows file overwriting norms.
I never would delete or overwrite the previous backup image, in case you need to use it for any reason, even if just for exploring reference.
I will at least save the last dozen of them at various stages on installation progress, just for a workable reference.
If your OS partition is 160 GB and since you said you are not doing sector to sector imaging then I'm sure after it's imaged/compressed that the actual data of your OS is somewhere less than 30 GB ??? ..and so you should have plenty of room on that 500 GB to keep more than one backup image of your OS partition just in case you need it, which I recommend without question. Just rename them accordingly so they do not get overwritten when you begin a new backup image process.

For instance my OS partitions are 30 GB each, however even mature with fully loaded softwares on it my backup image of them are around 7 GB and is what I consider appropriate. It's always best to keep OS partitions lean, and put All non-OS related files ideally should be kept on a different storage partition for obvious reasons.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
plainman007

That is exactly how i operate. Everything is ditto except my images don't compress to half the size even. Maybe its because im using N-Ghost 9.

I always leave it on 'standard compression (recommended)' option. And the images turn out to be almost the same size of the data.

When you refer to my 160gb OS drive (which i use only for OS). The OS install and occupied space of that 160gb is only 15gb. So i have images of my OS saved to my 500gb drive and those images backed up on an external drive.

My data drives now are 230gb + 230gb (partitioned 500gb new drive).
The actual occupied space of that data is about 200gb on each. So that makes 200gb each image (like i explained the standard compression hardly compresses anything). Now my 500gb backup drive has about 50gb left. In what way can i take multiple images or even skip overwriting an image till NG makes another image since id need the additional space. When it comes to data i dont think one will ever need more than one image. Because its always updated and the previous image would only be a repetition of my data but for the latest files ive created.

What would really help is if i had some legroom space then every time i can create an image of my data drive and then once they complete and verify successfully then i can delete the one which i intended to overwrite. Because when i ask NG to overwrite the previous existing image, im risking it for that one hour. Because if something happens and the image doesn't complete successfully, then the overwritten image also goes and im left with no backup. This is extremely risky when backing up a data drive and that drive is nearly failing/fails during the backup procedure. Both the original data and its last image will both go for a six. But this can only be solved by additional legroom which i don't have on my current HDDs. I dont want to try the other compression settings because i heard that also has its own risks and the more you compress, the more your data can get corrupted.

Plus with hardware manufacturers now making even DVD drives as sata based. There's a real shortage of sata ports inside to have an additional drive.
Mine has 4 which are allocated to DVD, OS HDD, DATA HDD, BACKUP HDD respectively. That leaves me with no more free ports to add another HDD maybe.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
zepherzs

Quote:
The OS install and occupied space of that 160gb is only 15gb.
Okay, I think you are saying that you only have aprox 15 GB of actual data used on that 160 GB OS partition right, and so in turn, after you create a backup image of your 160 GB OS, your backup image file is aprox 15 GB right? ..it should be (again as long as you are not doing a full sector to sector copy which is unnecessary anyway unless for the very rare need of doing so)

just some thoughts:
~ 2 TB SATA drives these days 'on sale' are only $79 (in the usa anyway) which would give you 2,000 GB of backup flexibility. (iow, if you need more legroom space, replace the 500 GB)
(fwiw, 1 TB drives are only $59)

~ imho, if you are only using 15 GB of that 160 GB drive for your OS, if it were me I would re-partition the primary partition down from 160 to let's say 30 GB, and create a Logical partition for the rest, and that way you can gain greater storage on that same drive.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
plainman007

Yes i should get a 1tb soon and then id have some ample room to do the switcheroo .

The reason im just leaving the OS as 160gb is just for threshold headroom. As in, the OS drive works faster and efficient when its less populated and since the travel time for the read head is smaller because the innermost rings of the platter are faster accessed ? Now if i dump data onto a partition. Even though ill be making use of the real estate id be creating longer seek times and delayed reflexes on the OS ?

This is the only reason ive left that untouched.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
zepherzs

Quote:
The reason im just leaving the OS as 160gb is just for threshold headroom. As in, the OS drive works faster and efficient when its less populated and since the travel time for the read head is smaller because the innermost rings of the platter are faster accessed ? Now if i dump data onto a partition. Even though ill be making use of the real estate id be creating longer seek times and delayed reflexes on the OS ?

This is the only reason ive left that untouched.
If you partition a 30 GB Primary on that HD, it Would Be at the beginning of the HD, therefore is efficient when the OS runs it would mostly stay within those confines, until you access data on the Logical. imho, you would never be able to tell the difference anyway.

If you want better seek times, get a 120 GB SSD and install your OS on that, and use the spinning HD's for data backup.

Anyway I'm just talking, you are fine with what you have, and grow with it as the $ is comfortable to do so. Be happy. Good Day.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 AM   #13
plainman007

I know this is bumping a long gone thread, but i just wanted to point out a firm solution that i found. For the benefit of other members doing a search on the forum who may have a similar issue.

Just open up your CONTROL PANEL > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > SERVICES. Then search for all services that start with 'Norton' or 'Symantec' and also 'sym' etc and just click restart for each of those. Seems to immediately set right the problem.

I found this because yesterday, another of my systems started doing the same thing, estimating about 8 hours to back up a 500gb drive with 60% occupancy. I tried reboots etc and nothing sorted the issue out. Finally i tried the services restarting method and immediately afterwards it estimated and did it in just 72 minutes.

Hope this helps. And my apologies for bringing back to life an old thread.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
zepherzs

Thanks for the follow-up plainman007,

You know then, another thought would be to just put that Symantec service on Manual instead of Automatic. That way anytime you want to use your imager, then when you click on the programs shortcut to start it - it starts what it needs right then and there, and so its Service will always be, just started anew, while also eliminating your problem conflict.
As a matter of course, on my setups for most all the software that I can appropriately, is to set their Service to Manual so that it Only starts when I start the program. I don't like anything that is not absolutely needed to be running in the background, not to be, until I start the program itself; same thing that I do with msconfig in startup.