ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

The Stanley Parable

So, this is currently discounted on STEAM and i thought i'd check out this much talked about title.

First up, let me say that this is one very disturbing parable. Well, as an avid PC gamer it is for me.

Its not the graphics, they are very neat and sweet being based on the SOURCE (HL2)'s engine. The audio is superb, really. And theres no blood or gore, not even any weapons, but it chilled me to my gamers bones anyway.

I'm not explaining this very well, but how do u explain this.... experience? I hesitate to call it a game, because, really, thats too terrible to contemplate.
If i think of the games i have enjoyed, the open sandbox games with lots of "stuff" to do and see, i realise that by their very nature they are closed systems despite the choices that i make as i play them. Is that bad? Should i complain about a painting because i can only see what the painter painted? No! Because a great painting can evoke emotions in the viewer that belong to the viewer... Dont they? Aaaah, but this stuff gives me a headache, someone tell me what next!

Ok, calm, calm... So The Stanley Parable, what is the story about? Well, its about a man pushing buttons.. But no, thats not it, its about saving burning babies... Ah heck, thats not it either. Something about coloured pixels then? Flip, but its so slippery!

Should i mention the doors? Hahahaha omg. So many doors, so few choices, so many endings...

On second thoughts i think you should play this yourself, i mean who am i to tell you what to do? I'm going outside now, i want to see what the world has to offer...
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: The Stanley Parable

Sandog, moved your post to its own thread...
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Sandog

No problem.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Played some more, amazing how many "endings" there are.
I've developed an objective: beat the developer. I want to find a gap in the world that was not implemented on purpose. There has to be one, so many games have them, theres got to be something.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
Drufuss

Have fun (i know you will).

People, play that game, don't ask to many questions before, just try it.

Greetings

Dru
4 x 8GB DDR3-Ram PC3-2400 Kingston Beast XMP
3 x Samsung 840 EvoO 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming (watercooled)
Soundblaster ZxR, Hauppauge HVR4400 DVB-T/S2, Logitech Z-5450 5.1 THX Wireless
Logitech DiNovo MediaDesktop 2.0
Enermax Platimax 750W
Pump: Laing DDC2
Radiator: Watercool Mo-Ra 3 420
Case: Cooltek Antiphon
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit retail

CUSL2-C ruled! ..äh... RulEd!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
PeterT
CUSL2 > Sabertooth Z87

I'm intrigued Zap.

Hi Dru. Good to see you around.
Z87, i7-4770K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Antec SOLO II, Corsair TX650M, Asus ROG Crossblade Ranger, AMD A10-7890K, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB,

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Antec SOLO, Corsair TX650, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Intel Q9550, 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800,
EVGA GTX560Ti SC 1GB, Asus U3S6, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD
Mobile:
Acer Aspire V5-552G-x852, AMD A10-5757M, Radeon 8750M 2GB, 2x4GB DDR3,
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
Acer Aspire V3-551G-X419, AMD A10-4600M, Radeon 7670M 2GB, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD

Asus Eee PC 1215B-PU17, AMD E-350, 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Old 06-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm intrigued Zap.
The narrator guy is very funny. When you dont do what he says he can get really upset. Later when he starts to get things wrong after restarting the game its a little weird.

I'm determined to find something unplanned... Got to be something. I now believe both the Narrator and i are victims of a cruel and sadistic developer.
I'd like to remind the developer about books. Cant get much more linear and prescribed than a book right, but does that make them invalid? Of course not.

The readers imagination is free to augment the words. Is it different in a video game? We're imagining whats around the next corner, and where the story is taking us in the sane way.

But something about the proposition being put by The Stanley Parable is really upsetting.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Zap realised that he hadn't provided any links to reviews of this title.
Here's one.
Zap posted a link, feeling that the review would be pretty useful for the members.

Zap went back to his button pressing, intent on finding a way out of the parable and proving that the developers had gotten it all wrong after all...

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Zap had been playing the Stanley Parable for some weeks and had come to the conclusion that there is none... Conclusion that is. No matter what he did he could not beat it.

After considering the possibility of hacking the game, Zap instead decided to post about it one last time on the forum.

Zap pressed random buttons on his keyboard until the words "Good game" popped out.

As the game restarted for the Kazillionth time, Zap decided to post about this much talked about title.

"You Cannot Hide..."