ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

HP, Compaq Recall Millions of Power Cords

On August 26, 2014 HP announced a worldwide voluntary recall and replacement program in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies, for affected AC power cords distributed worldwide with HP and Compaq notebook and mini notebook computers, as well as with AC adapters provided with accessories such as docking stations, sold from September 2010 through June 2012.

HP customers affected by this program will be eligible to receive a replacement AC power cord for each verified, recalled AC power cord at no cost.

HP believes that certain power cords shipped with notebook PC products and AC adapter accessories may pose a risk of a fire and burn hazard to customers. We are taking this action as part of our commitment to provide the highest quality of service to our notebook customers.

Note: Not all HP and Compaq notebook and mini notebook PCs were sold with an affected power cord. Please validate the power cord shipped with your notebook PC or purchased with an accessory, or as a spare.

The recall affects many countries and regions with 5.6 million cords already recalled in the US, with another 447,000 in Canada. (The campaign has now extended here to Australia).

The recall was implemented after HP received 29 reports of power cords overheating and melting or charring, resulting in two claims of minor burns and 13 claims of minor property damage.

The LS-15 AC power cords were distributed with HP and Compaq notebook and mini notebook computers, and with AC adaptor-powered accessories including docking stations.

The power cords are black and have an “LS-15” moulded on the AC adaptor end of the cord. They were manufactured in China.

Consumers are advised to immediately stop using and unplug the recalled power cords and contact Hewlett-Packard to order a free replacement.

Link to recall page
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Sir Skully
ABX Knight

Re: HP, Compaq Recall Millions of Power Cords

Thanks zap, I don't own any HP hardware/pc's.
But some of are members may...
Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Bofinn
I'm gettin' dizzy!

we have 2 thousand HP laptops purchased in 2012. Waiting for a response from HP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When in doubt, smack it!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
Sandog

I was meaning to post in this thread a long time ago but I forgot. I had a eerily similar experience. I order some 12V/5A DC adapters for work. They are pretty hard to find but I found some cheap from a place in Las Vegas. I bought them to power meteorological stations. Anyway I cut the AC cord to the adapter to solder it into an AC socket pin panel mount connector. The copper wires inside the cable were so contaminated it was an impossible job to solder the wire. Even after using heavy liquid flux and using a solder pot I could not tin the wire. Incredible. There is no telling what that wire had in it. No doubt where this wire must have come from - China.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.