ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-04-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Wi-Fi "Media Bridge"?

Can someone explain for me what the benefits are of a wi-fi media bridge please?
I believe this refers to two wi-fi routers connected via wi-fi with one acting as a bridge and the other a client.
Why is this typically done in the home and what's the media part mean?
Thank in advance
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Sandog

Re: Wi-Fi "Media Bridge"?

I think FVB could explain this pretty well off the cuff without Googling. My guess is it allow after market devices to interface to the PC like the speaker thing with playlist that FVB owns.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
fvbounty

My speaker system is Sonos, and it is wireless with its own bridge that is connected to my router with cat 5, and it only works with the Sonos speakers (you can't connect to it with a laptop or tablet), I do have 2 routers hooked together with cat 6 cables so I get good wifi all around the house, then I have two roku boxes on my TV's and they get internet access to stream movies to my tv's! Hope this helps!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

That makes sense, i think the bridge allows for additional ports and also increased range. So a "media bridge" would be one that is installed specifically to service the AV media equipment i guess.

How are the two hooked together, is there any special configuration for the routers?

Actually, I'm kinda surprised as i thought that two wi-fi signals would interfere with each other... But obviously not.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 10-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
That makes sense, i think the bridge allows for additional ports and also increased range. So a "media bridge" would be one that is installed specifically to service the AV media equipment i guess.

How are the two hooked together, is there any special configuration for the routers?

Actually, I'm kinda surprised as i thought that two wi-fi signals would interfere with each other... But obviously not.
The Sonos bridge is hooked up by cat 5 cable to my router in the office, I really don't know what Frequency it uses to connect with the Sonos speakers. There are different channels in each band, I know there are a few channels that you can switch too inside the router software on my n routers!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!