ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 AM   #1
Whammamoosha
Airborne Gadget Snatcher

Disk space missing after "buffered copy"

Hello folks!

Today I downloaded over 6,000 files (photos and videos) from my ex-wife's iPhone to my laptop (SSD) and then uploaded that to her flash drive.

Afterwards I deleted from my laptop everything that was downloaded. To my dismay, even then there are 3 GB missing after the operation.

Where did they go?
Cosmic by goal.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Disk space missing after "buffered copy"

Thats very decent of you, helping the ex out, great to see that some ex couples can continue to be civil to each other!

How are you measuring the free space?
Check it in the Windows disk-management console, (I assume you're using Windows).

Also empty the recycle bin if not done already.
Check for any hidden files that may be taking up the space.
Try running a disk scan.

I also wonder about automatic system restore saves, did any run while you had the files on the laptop?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Whammamoosha
Airborne Gadget Snatcher

Re: Disk space missing after "buffered copy"

Thanks Zap!

All files were visible (imported them from the iPhony - heheh - using Win7 photo/movie import utility), downloaded them to My Pictures/My Videos folders with a directory (= date taken) prepended to the file names. After copying them to the flash disk I SHIFT-DEL'd (no recycle bin) all folders/files.

I know of the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Photo Acquisition" (for settings) and the folder "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Photo Acquisition" (for metadata, in the "PreviouslyAcquired.db" file) and how they're used by windows to import media files from devices.

BTW, in order to be able to download a device's content more than once, one has to delete the "PreviouslyAcquired.db" file. I had to do that because in the first import Windows guessed several pics' orientations wrong and rotated them the same way, then I had to turn the feature off and download the pics once more.

Maybe it was Win7 System Restore logfile, as you said. Another day I performed a System Restore (aaack!) on a friend's computer after downloading some drivers to his "Downloads" folder, and after that the files were gone. Before that I always believed that SR would leave user files alone...

Thank you for the prompt response, as always. As for my ex-wife, she and Windows behave quite the same - they both use to get one in a red herring and then either don't move a finger to correct themselves or don't recognize one's effort at helping them out. ;-)
Cosmic by goal.