ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Wolfenstein: The New Order

I've been playing this on PC for several hours now.

This is a really disappointing game on PC. I enjoyed several of the previous games but this is so consolised as to be almost ridiculous. There is limited control over the graphics and what settings exist are dependent on the amount of VRAM available. I can play at ultra settings due to having 3GB on-board my 780 and it sometimes looks sweet but at other times it doesn't - similar to RAGE with textures not always consistent in quality and the pop-in is annoying.

Its had some moments where it was enjoyable from the perspective of a fast shooter, but not many ... and anyway if I wanted to play a good fast shooter there are many other far better examples I could load up.

Its old fashioned in the sense that its a corridor shooter with groups of enemies placed at strategic points along the way in a contrived manner. There are simple "puzzles" you must solve in between, (such as find the control for the door, find the button to open the gate, etc.) with scripted events.
This game would have been fine 10 years ago.

I was going to continue just to see what other monsters there are and out of sheer stubbornness to try and get my monies worth, but for some reason the initial game load time is increasing the further I go. Its currently taking 5 minutes to load! which is mad.

Re-loads are taking about 40 seconds too, which just kills the pace.

Once loaded, it plays fine but the fps is capped at 60.

I dk, maybe this is a revelation for console players, but for serious PC gamers its a huge disappointment IMHO given the legacy of the franchise.

Too bad.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
fvbounty

Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order

That's what I heard also from reviews, I loved the first couple.
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
That's what I heard also from reviews, I loved the first couple.
Ah, I've been avoiding reviews due to spoilers. The older games had some atmosphere, but this just feels like a shooter.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Sandog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
I've been playing this on PC for several hours now.

This is a really disappointing game on PC. I enjoyed several of the previous games but this is so consolised as to be almost ridiculous. There is limited control over the graphics and what settings exist are dependent on the amount of VRAM available. I can play at ultra settings due to having 3GB on-board my 780 and it sometimes looks sweet but at other times it doesn't - similar to RAGE with textures not always consistent in quality and the pop-in is annoying.

Its had some moments where it was enjoyable from the perspective of a fast shooter, but not many ... and anyway if I wanted to play a good fast shooter there are many other far better examples I could load up.

Its old fashioned in the sense that its a corridor shooter with groups of enemies placed at strategic points along the way in a contrived manner. There are simple "puzzles" you must solve in between, (such as find the control for the door, find the button to open the gate, etc.) with scripted events.
This game would have been fine 10 years ago.

I was going to continue just to see what other monsters there are and out of sheer stubbornness to try and get my monies worth, but for some reason the initial game load time is increasing the further I go. Its currently taking 5 minutes to load! which is mad.

Re-loads are taking about 40 seconds too, which just kills the pace.

Once loaded, it plays fine but the fps is capped at 60.

I dk, maybe this is a revelation for console players, but for serious PC gamers its a huge disappointment IMHO given the legacy of the franchise.

Too bad.

Thanks for the great review, sounds uber FU. It is almost assured they are trying to squeeze money out of a name. Your take sound like you were playing DOOM or original Wolfenstein. I looked at game requirements and it did not specify that much RAM to play. I would guess there are only a small percentage of video cards out there using greater than 3GB of RAM.

I won't be getting this game after all. Carmack I think became a crusty old man, he moved over to consoles to make money or thought the game engines would run better I don't know but I think he left the PC crowd at one point. I like the last Wolfenstein that came out 4-5yrs ago, that was a great game. I guess I will wait on the new Doom coming out but I really like the historical WWII theme and weapons with monsters sprinkled in of Wolfenstein. So sad.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

The last one I enjoyed was RTCW, which had some excellent atmosphere and decent challenge. It had flaws but was a good game overall.

I think the corridor shooter still has a place but it has to be a little smarter than this. Its not enough to have pretty graphics with a string of battles anymore. Take Half-Life 2 for instance, which gave us a wide corridoor with fun toys to play with along the way, interesting characters, great physics and great atmosphere. Its not like thats recent either.

With sandbox games like Far Cry, Crysis and others this old fashioned corridoor shooter is really out of date now.

I think the last game of this type that I really enjoyed was FEAR, which was boosted by the edgy graphics, physics and excellent combat AI. I dont even look forward to the new COD or BF games anymore either. I dont see the point as they're just the same game repeated over and over with slightly better graphics with each version.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I probably should add that there is a variety of levels and environments and some stealth mechanics. There are certain additional game mechanics too such as hunting for gold and collecting information about the new Nazi world order and a perk system. But they all feel like bolt-ons to me and never succeed in lifting the game up from its basic simplicity.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
The last one I enjoyed was RTCW, which had some excellent atmosphere and decent challenge. It had flaws but was a good game overall.

I think the corridor shooter still has a place but it has to be a little smarter than this. Its not enough to have pretty graphics with a string of battles anymore. Take Half-Life 2 for instance, which gave us a wide corridoor with fun toys to play with along the way, interesting characters, great physics and great atmosphere. Its not like thats recent either.

With sandbox games like Far Cry, Crysis and others this old fashioned corridoor shooter is really out of date now.

I think the last game of this type that I really enjoyed was FEAR, which was boosted by the edgy graphics, physics and excellent combat AI. I dont even look forward to the new COD or BF games anymore either. I dont see the point as they're just the same game repeated over and over with slightly better graphics with each version.
Thanks for bring up HL2 again, after I finish Portal 2, that's next on my list!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 11-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
Sandog

Just bought this game key for $9.09 through STEAM.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

Old 11-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
Thanks I will get it!

Old 11-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
Where did you get for that price? its $19.99

Old 11-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
Sandog

cdkeys.com

Same place I told you to buy DooM at which is now $25.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
Sandog

DL @ 1/4 of the way.

Capture.JPG

Off to the lake house to do honeydo's. Might start playing tonight.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
Sandog

Got her running now no problems. I chose Death Incarnate.

20161120174707_1.jpg 20161120175839_1.jpg 20161120175910_1.jpg 20161120174810_1.jpg 20161120174817_1.jpg