ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Microsoft Makes Windows 10 Upgrades Automatic For Windows 7 And Windows 8

Beginning now, Windows 10 has been reclassified as an “Optional” update in Windows Update for Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. This means users who have set their version of Windows to accept all updates will find the Windows 10 installation process will begin automatically and they will need to actively cancel it....

... But in “early” 2016 things will become more aggressive and Microsoft will again reclassify Windows 10 as a “Recommended” update. Given the default setting on Windows 7 and Windows 8 is for all Recommended updates to install automatically this means the vast majority of users will find the Windows 10 install process starts up on their machines....

... For Most, Resistance Is Now Futile. While tech savvy users will find workarounds and hacks, quite frankly avoiding the upgrade process is going to become far too much effort for the average consumer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...now-automatic/
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
fvbounty

Re: Microsoft Makes Windows 10 Upgrades Automatic For Windows 7 And Windows 8

There's going to be a real uprising over this...doesn't bother me
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

It's been reported that the Win10 EULA requires us to agree to information such as the content of our email or keystrokes in apps being captured and stored by MS.

That and automatic installation seems fairly draconian to me.
Does anyone have any detailed info on exactly what is being uploaded by Win10?
Can we block the traffic via firewall without compromising other functionality?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-11-2016, 03:38 AM   #4
ASharpEdge

I for one am NOT going to "upgrade" if that is what you want to call it. It is another step in the wrong direction for Microsoft. The company has totally lost focus on what consumers actually want and need. Just look at how the launch of Windows 8 went without the start button. They seem so intent on "dumbing down" the entire OS for people who are scared of options and settings. As if Windows 8.1 is not bad enough, they are going even further down that road.

I loved XP.....Jumped past the nighmare of an OS called "Vista" and also thought 7 was pretty good. Waited a lllooooonnnggg time to get 8.1 (6 months ago) and IMMEDIATELY installed Classic Shell to give me a start button and make it more like 7.

I am going to do whatever it takes to avoid 10. If I have to use it I will be certain to block all the backdoors and such....Wow, I just cannot beleive these people. What world do they live in anyway? I think they should go on a month long field trip east of the rockies to a busy midwestern town where they must live in other people's homes like exchange students. Maybe then they might start to understand.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:59 AM   #5
gladwinanalytic

Thumbs down Re: Microsoft Makes Windows 10 Upgrades Automatic For Windows 7 And Windows 8

Still, its not automatic. Every now and then, there pops up a window asking to upgrade. You have to disable it every time it pops up. A bit of headache though.