ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Coming up - Dishonored 2

Anyone else here looking forward to this game as much as me?
Its not far off now, only a few weeks.
Players of the first Dishonored may recall what a great story driven game it is, with steampunk art and multiple game play styles built in.
I remember I loved the stealth features, which really ramp up the tension, while also allowing me to break-out into run'gun shootouts when I felt like it.

This time around I dk whether to go for the PC version or PS4

Gaming on the couch with my big screen TV and surround sound system has attractions for me these days, although I do worry about the degraded IQ.
I remember that the game does play a little like a platformer with all the building climbing, so maybe I should opt for the console.
Either way, it will be an interesting game with new playable characters, new powers, a skill tree and a big artistic steampunk city to explore.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
Wingit
Palm Rat

Re: Coming up - Dishonored 2

I'm looking forward to this one as well...the first was a real gem. I'll probably buy it on steam and run it through my steam link to the big screen and play it with a xbox 360 controller from the sofa. It should translate well to a controller and I will still have the pluses of a PC game. Resolution is maintained reasonably well if a hard wired configuration is used and max quality selected for streaming.
Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1, 4790k Haswell I7, Noctua U14S cooler w/ 2nd fan in push/pull, 16gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident X 2400, EVGA GTX 980ti FTW 6gb Video, HP 2711x Display, LG Blu-ray, Creative Z series sound, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD OS drive, WD Black 2tb Data drive, in Corsair Carbide AIR540 case, powered by Corsair HX750i, Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse, Ducky Shine 5 keyboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
sammy2066
ABX Public Relations

Can't wait to play as Corvo (and now Emily too) again - absolutely loved Dishonored!
Most users ever online was 1,377, 04-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingit View Post
I'm looking forward to this one as well...the first was a real gem. I'll probably buy it on steam and run it through my steam link to the big screen and play it with a xbox 360 controller from the sofa. It should translate well to a controller and I will still have the pluses of a PC game. Resolution is maintained reasonably well if a hard wired configuration is used and max quality selected for streaming.
Wingit, how Have you found STEAM link with intense games? Hows the latency?
Performance? Do you think it will handle a brand new, modern, graphically intense game, like Dishonored 2?

I like the idea of it because it means I only need to buy the game once, at highest IQ option, (PC), while also giving me the option of lounge play.

And can I play offline with it?
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 10-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Wingit
Palm Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
Wingit, how Have you found STEAM link with intense games? Hows the latency?
Performance? Do you think it will handle a brand new, modern, graphically intense game, like Dishonored 2?

I like the idea of it because it means I only need to buy the game once, at highest IQ option, (PC), while also giving me the option of lounge play.

And can I play offline with it?
As I noted, I used a wired connection, so the performance has no wireless performance "hit", although I'm betting it wouldn't be bad. I'll check latency and post later, but as I recall it was not bad. Yes to modern games...there's not much I can't play, including Uplay and Origin games I start through steam. IQ is variable...there is a setting for streaming in steam...I don't think you will hit PC IQ, but close. Your reasons that you cited are the reasons I bought it...also it was cheap, LOL!
Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1, 4790k Haswell I7, Noctua U14S cooler w/ 2nd fan in push/pull, 16gb (2x8) G.Skill Trident X 2400, EVGA GTX 980ti FTW 6gb Video, HP 2711x Display, LG Blu-ray, Creative Z series sound, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD OS drive, WD Black 2tb Data drive, in Corsair Carbide AIR540 case, powered by Corsair HX750i, Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse, Ducky Shine 5 keyboard.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Well, I decided to go with the PS4. I really want to play this type of game from my couch using a game controller rather than keyboard and mouse at my desk.
The first game had quite a bit of the platformer style of play with blink and jumping around ledges and stuff, and I think the controller is a better option.
We'll see if theres much lag using the wi-fi.

I wanted to dl the patch and of course Sony insists that I sign up for their social club thing before I can do that. I cannot describe how frustrating it is to sit through several screens of obtuse options asking me to share my gaming progress information with strangers online, all defaulting to yes, having to provide my dob and name and location. Then theres my email address, phone verification and option to subscribe to their spam generators.

Flippin annoying.

Finally got to downloading the patch and its 9GB.
If it finishes in the next 15 mins I'll try starting the game.

I'm looking forward to this game, really hoping they took the fantastic game that it was and have improved it without dumbing it down in anyway.
I feel its been a while since the first game so they need to have significantly improved it, not just added a few new options and stamped a "2" on it.
We'll see.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Wingit
Palm Rat

Looking forward to your review, zap...based on the first, this was a must buy for me as well, but it's still nice to read an opinion or two!

Old 11-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

PS4 may be the way to go:

Dishonored 2's buggy PC port is plagued by performance problems | PCWorld
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Gold 1TB, ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Corsair 550D Case including 3x120 Corsair SP120 Fans,
Seasonic Prime Platinum 650 PSU
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Ducky One White LED KB Cherry Blue, Logitech MX518
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
iPhone 7+ 32GB, iPad 32GB WiFi, iPad 16GB WiFi
Old 11-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Well my initial impressions are about the PS4 experience more than the game.
The controller lag is not too bad although I had to increase the in game x/y axis sensitivety to 100%.

The bigger challenge for me is the twin joy stick arrangement. Left is for movement and right is for looking and its SO different to kboard/mouse. I'm playing like your sisters friend who's never played video games before, jerky, all over the place, spinning from sky to ground.

There seems to be some acceleration built in too, where if I hold the look stick a fraction of an instant too long it increases panning speed. It means I have to nudge it rather than hold it, with yet more jerky behaviour.

With a kboard/mouse I can sprint down a flight of stairs with my reticle trained on an enemy to the left or right, get to the bottom and rotate to face them never losing target lock. With the controller I have to first face forward to navigate the stairs, then turn backwards and forwards trying to line up on the enemy and then shoot!

I like the rumble feedback during swordplay tho.

Performance is very good and graphics look nice but I need to play some more before I can comment on the game.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Well I hate this controller setup. Cannot seem to get the hang of it.
Movement (left stick) is fine but look (right stick) is hell. You would imagine it'd be easy right?
I may have to find a wi-fi mouse for this, assuming the PS4 will recognise it.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #11
Wingit
Palm Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post
Well I hate this controller setup. Cannot seem to get the hang of it.
Movement (left stick) is fine but look (right stick) is hell. You would imagine it'd be easy right?
I may have to find a wi-fi mouse for this, assuming the PS4 will recognise it.
I don't have it yet, but is your issue sensitivity? Might be a slider in options?

Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingit View Post
I don't have it yet, but is your issue sensitivity? Might be a slider in options?
Its just the actual nature of it. Its like using a joystick; very difficult to be precise. I usually map look and forward to my mouse when playing on PC. Been doing that for years and its very precise.

The controller needs me to synchronise movements of the two thumbsticks while moving them in different directions, which feels unnatural - think of that old joke of trying to circle your head with one hand while circling your midriff with the other,

Then theres a bit of lag over the wifi, not much, just enough to cause me to overshoot all my movements and so I end up swinging back and forth around my target. It would need a lot of practice to achieve the level of precision and smoothness I have with my mouse and even then I dont think its going to be as good as a mouse. Its too hard. I dont think this kind of setup is ideal at all where precise co-ordination is needed while running and gunning.

Searching the web confirms that many others also have this issue and there are several recommended solutions.

So, I''ve picked up a Hori Tactical Assualt Commander keypad/mouse combo.
This thing cost me nearly half as much as the flippin console and its just a mouse and pad with logic built in that maps your PSx controller buttons to the keypad and mouse buttons. It has 3 profiles and you can re-assign keys.
Games dont need to support it as it looks just like another PSx controller to the system. Lots of LED's and dark black plastic. I havent bought something like this since the old days when I used a joystick to play games, lol. I remember I spent big on a beautiful digital joystick for Free Space, lol, before I discovered the mouse and keyboard are all you need.

Well, this keypad/mouse combo has made a huge difference and my setup now resembles my PC setup. I can actually play! I need to play a bit more to get the button assignments the way I like.

So far the game plays pretty much the same as the first game. The graphics and art look slightly different tho, brighter and less detailed somehow, but I'm only at the beginning. It has the Dishonored feel. Combat is more engaging in this game and the takedowns are all interesting, although pretty violent.
I havent got blink yet, cant wait for that as its what made the first game stand out for me. I'm playing on hard which is too easy, but still doing the button mapping.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 11-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Hey, Blink is still as much fun as ever! The stealth play is satisfying and they've fine tuned the play so that you're no longer an uber god if you choose a frontal assault. There are often too many enemies who will overwhelm you if you play that way, at least on the very hard difficulty setting.

I found lower difficulty to be far less challenging.

The enemies are sensitive but if you do fire your noisy revolver not every single bot on the map is instantly alerted, so you can recover.

The AI in this game is all about the stealth mechanics (as it was in the first game). Its very satisfying.
Characters are entertaining. The story is basic. I'm a little surprised that so many people in the world dislike Corvo on sight and so many are so diligently patrolling the streets. I mean he's supposed to be a hero and their much loved empress has just been assaninated, so why there would be so many rebels and traitors everywhere bent on killing Corvo is beyond me. Best not to think too much about that.

Negatives are that the game is very predictable. The engine doesnt seem to have much randomness built in, so if you reload a checkpoint everything starts exactly the same way as before.

The graphics and art are slightly less endearing than the first game, imo. They seem just a little less stylised, which I enjoyed in the first game. Its the different engine thats making the difference.

So far I dont think this game out does the first, just some fine tweaks to the play as I mentioned.

Oh, and the boodfly is a concern...

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 11-20-2016 at 04:00 PM..
Old 01-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
traveler
Where to next?

My copy is still in the box. I've got to get it loaded. ESO is so distracting ....

Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler View Post
My copy is still in the box. I've got to get it loaded. ESO is so distracting ....
You've reminded me about this thread, thanks.

It turned out the controller issue is affecting a lot of people, not just me, with quite a few complaints online.
I found the Hori TAC helpful but its never going to be as effective as a good ol mouse/keyboard, especially as it kinda defeats the 'laying back into the sofa' experience I was after.
The problem has turned me off the game a bit.

Actually I've been replaying Alien Isolation recently, exploring everywhere. Its flippin scary. The synths freak me out everytime. I'm learning to appreciate the game again on my bigger screen. Its badly flawed with tedious toing and froing and unbalanced weapons and all but once you get over that and look for the good its a decent stealth game.

"You Cannot Hide..."