ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #46
Sandog

Re: Windows 10 Creative update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
Mine are averaging 30 up and 8 down.
Do you have CSM disabled in BIOS?

You also need to delete all the keys below it and disable fast boot at the top.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #47
Sandog

I re-enabled Windows Fast Boot, I don't see an issue with it.
Windows 10 Pro / Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i7-7820X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Ducky YoTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #48
fvbounty

I have fast boot in bios turned off, I read fast startup in windows can have problems, if no problems just use it....morning Sandog!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #49
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
I re-enabled Windows Fast Boot, I don't see an issue with it.
The manual for the Terabyte Unlimited "Image for Windows" program I use for disk imaging contains the following statement:
Quote:
Warning to Windows 8.x and Windows 10 Users
You must disable the Windows Fast startup option or you risk corruption of your partitions and data when the partitions are used outside of Windows (e.g. you boot into Image for Linux after shutdown and save an image to a data drive).
Also, if Fast Startup is enabled the program provides a warning to that effect in the systray.

Also, when I initially upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 shortly after 10 was introduced, I found that Fast Startup would occasionally result in shutdowns taking a ridiculously long amount of time to occur (e.g. several minutes). That would happen on perhaps one shutdown out of every 15 or 20 or so.

Last night the Creators Update was automatically installed in one of my laptops. It turned fast startup on, even though I had it disabled previously, so I promptly turned it back off. Otherwise, the update appears to have gone smoothly.

Best regards,
-- Al
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #50
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctal View Post
The manual for the Terabyte Unlimited "Image for Windows" program I use for disk imaging contains the following statement:

Also, if Fast Startup is enabled the program provides a warning to that effect in the systray.

Also, when I initially upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 shortly after 10 was introduced, I found that Fast Startup would occasionally result in shutdowns taking a ridiculously long amount of time to occur (e.g. several minutes). That would happen on perhaps one shutdown out of every 15 or 20 or so.

Last night the Creators Update was automatically installed in one of my laptops. It turned fast startup on, even though I had it disabled previously, so I promptly turned it back off. Otherwise, the update appears to have gone smoothly.

Best regards,
-- Al
Thanks Al I knew I read about it having problems, but with all the stuff I read I couldn't remember what...lol...good morning!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #51
Sandog

Quote:
I have fast boot in bios turned off, I read fast startup in windows can have problems, if no problems just use it....morning Sandog!
Hey FVB, I mentioned it in another post but I have turned it off again. Simply because I don't need to take a chance with it. My boot time is what it has been for years and years, around mid-20's.

I read up on Fast Startup yesterday on Technet I believe. It said it does not cause issues in most systems but it can if hibernation can cause issues.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #52
Sandog

Quote:
What about CSM and clearing Keys like I mentioned before in BIOS??? You should not have 35s boot time.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #53
fvbounty

Quote:
What about CSM and clearing Keys like I mentioned before in BIOS??? You should not have 35s boot time.
I have 30 second boot times and 8 seconds shutdown, and a different ssd than you, plus I have Malwarebytes, and Google photos to load along with other stuff you don't use, like my desktop widgets....all takes a little more time, but I'm happy....

Old 06-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #54
Sandog

You use you PC for too much productivity lol. It wouldn't bother me if it took 30s to boot, never has bothered me. I actually like fast shutdown times because when I hit the shut down button to go to bed I don't want wait to make sure it is off.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #55
fvbounty

Quote:
You use you PC for too much productivity lol. It wouldn't bother me if it took 30s to boot, never has bothered me. I actually like fast shutdown times because when I hit the shut down button to go to bed I don't want wait to make sure it is off.
I see no difference in boot times with it on or off?????

Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #56
exc

Hi Guys

Good to see you all again. As usual I've just been lurking, following everyone's posts over the past several months. It's good to see the site is starting to shape up to it former glory state

I just wanted to chime in on this fast boot topic. Ever since I 1st started using windows 10, I have had fast boot enabled.

I have never had any issues whatsoever with data corruption/longer then normal start ups or shut downs. In fact, my system starts up (cold boots) in about 8 seconds, and shuts down in about 4 seconds.
I know my system is very similar to your's fv, so I am a little perplexed at why your system takes so long to boot compared to mine.

I do not nor have I ever been a fan of hibernate, so I have always disabled it. But I do have to admit, I do not have much at all loading on start up.
I have always hated things loading at start up that I can simply start by clicking on a shortcut on the desktop if I so choose to use a particular program or item.

Anyway, I wanted to say Hi to you all and I hope everyone is doing well
Old 06-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #57
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by exc View Post
Hi Guys

Good to see you all again. As usual I've just been lurking, following everyone's posts over the past several months. It's good to see the site is starting to shape up to it former glory state

I just wanted to chime in on this fast boot topic. Ever since I 1st started using windows 10, I have had fast boot enabled.

I have never had any issues whatsoever with data corruption/longer then normal start ups or shut downs. In fact, my system starts up (cold boots) in about 8 seconds, and shuts down in about 4 seconds.
I know my system is very similar to your's fv, so I am a little perplexed at why your system takes so long to boot compared to mine.

I do not nor have I ever been a fan of hibernate, so I have always disabled it. But I do have to admit, I do not have much at all loading on start up.
I have always hated things loading at start up that I can simply start by clicking on a shortcut on the desktop if I so choose to use a particular program or item.

Anyway, I wanted to say Hi to you all and I hope everyone is doing well
Hi good to see you posting, are you getting your boot times from the event viewer! Glad the site is getting better too, still needs some work.....lol

Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #58
exc

Quote:
Hi good to see you posting, are you getting your boot times from the event viewer! Glad the site is getting better too, still needs some work.....lol
Hi fv, No, I've been using a stop watch. Press the power button and click the stop watch. As soon as I get to the desktop and can open my email client, I click the stop watch again. averages between 8 and 10 seconds.

Had a look in the event viewer, but nothing recorder for code 100 or 200 in over a week. seems a little odd that!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #59
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by exc View Post
Hi fv, No, I've been using a stop watch. Press the power button and click the stop watch. As soon as I get to the desktop and can open my email client, I click the stop watch again. averages between 8 and 10 seconds.

Had a look in the event viewer, but nothing recorder for code 100 or 200 in over a week. seems a little odd that!
If you have fast boot on it doesn't record every boot up and shutdown, I found that out the other day, I have Malwarebytes run on boot up, Its the paid version with full time protection and ever now and then I get a error message in event viewer saying it took longer to load, so I suspect it is one of the things that slows me down....