ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

Re: Prey 2017

60 hours later and I finally finished the game. Whew, intense and beautiful at the same time.

I won't say too much as I do not want to create spoilers. For those that are contemplating playing it, the Wrench and Psi are your friend! Enjoy.
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Gold 1TB, ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Corsair 550D Case including 3x120 Corsair SP120 Fans,
Seasonic Prime Platinum 650 PSU
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Ducky One White LED KB Cherry Blue, Logitech MX518
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
iPhone 7+ 32GB, iPad 32GB WiFi, iPad 16GB WiFi
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
fvbounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTram View Post
60 hours later and I finally finished the game. Whew, intense and beautiful at the same time.

I won't say too much as I do not want to create spoilers. For those that are contemplating playing it, the Wrench and Psi are your friend! Enjoy.
60 hours WOW, you got your moneys worth!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S, 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15, Asus GTX 980 TI Strix, Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig NVMe SSD W10 PRO, Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data, 1 TB WD Black data, Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS, Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor, Ducky Shine 5 RGB Keyboard, Mionix Naos 7000 mouse, AudioEngine A5+ Speakers driven by Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB sound card, AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #18
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

I was at every nook and cranny. Eye candy far greater than the actual game.
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
Old 06-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #19
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I think the game would have some replay value,theres a lot to see.
I'm enjoying it more now having accepted all its faults.

One problem I'm facing is finding fabricators, they're far and few between. I've got no ammo atm and trying to infiltrate crew quarters using stealth, psi and a stun gun is mad.

Stealth; well its not Dishonored but it can be done, kind of.

Thank goodness for the saved games otherwise a couple of times I was trapped in a room with no ammo and multiple phantoms outside.

I still dont have enough neuromods. I need to start fabricating them more often.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #20
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Well I've broken it somehow. I got the lift working and had to kill a Technopath and some operators. Went back down to the lobby and its crawling with typhon. Cant move 10 meters without Nightmares, weavers, cystoids, phantoms, you name it, swarming me.
It doesn't make any sense, I'm wayyy overmatched. I've got some push/pull psi abilities, a shotgun and pistol with no ammo, a wrench, the stun gun, dart gun, some health packs. Minor abilities so far since I haven't found many Neuromods.

While in the Arboretum I couldn't figure out how to get into the area with all the mind controlled humans, lol.

Somehow I've broken it. May have to go back a few saves, or look online to see what I've done wrong.

Its like I've missed out on special weapons.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #21
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

It's not the easiest game out there! You'll make it. Enjoy.
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #22
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
It's not the easiest game out there! You'll make it. Enjoy.
You mean this is normal? Its hard work!

I killed the Technopath guarding the elevator by travelling in from the Arboretum, slowing time and unloading everything I had at it, then scooting back to the Arboretum before my psi ran out and then after cool down was complete doing it over again. Did that 4 times before I'd killed it. Took about 5 minutes including the level changes. On the last trip my ammo was fully depeleted and all I could do was swing the wrench wildly in its general direction, lol.

When I got down to the lobby theres a screaming Nightmare although I'm safe in the lift. Once its gone the place is crawling with Weavers, Phantoms, Cystoids and I dont know what else. Are you sure this is normal?

I had a quick look online and saw a guy had a green plasma type of weapon that I've never seen. Have I missed something? I've also been carrying ammo for weapons I dont have, for ages now.
And I've got, like, 3 suit mods and maybe a handful of the basic abilities.
Neuromods are way too scarce so far.

I havent been doing too many side missions, mostly following the main quest. They're all optional and to tell the truth the game was boring me at that time. So I thought I would go back to the lobby to do some of those missions but now this!
Seriously, like wtf?

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #23
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Lol well I've done some reading and I'm not the only one finding the game is hard. Although the A.I. is not too bright the combination of different Typhon types makes for a tough challenge.

I hauled *** over to my office in the lobby and found January wont speak to me anymore. Maybe he's got nothing to say but it seems weird.

I thought my office was a safe place but no, a flippin Technopath followed me in there, right into the room through the window I'd broken earlier, lol.
It ignored January though. I'm currently hiding in the lobby trying to come up with a revised strategy.

I suspect sparing use of ammo, more reliance on throwing, hiding, the wrench and some psi. I guess I'll need to collect a lot more junk and fabricate some mods, they're obviously not just lying around.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-20-2017, 02:35 AM   #24
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

By now you know this is not an easy game. First game I ever started off on normal, then finished on easy. I know exactly the point you are at now - took me a long time to get control of the elevator! It gets much more intense at this point in the game.

You'll love the cargo Area.

The weapon you are referring to is the Q gun. Nice, but not that great.

I finished the game with only the Wrench, Shotgun, Goo gun, and Q gun. Pistol is useless.

Stealth is not easy, I used a combo of sneak and run!

Few Pointers:

Ride out the Nightmares - too much effort to defeat them

Use map to locate Recyclers/Fabricators.

Search, search, search. Neuromods and stuff are everywhere.

Boost med kits

Upgrade the Wrench and Shot gun as soon as you can

EMP/Recycler grenades are quite effective in clearing rooms

Get the Kinetic Power and boost it as much as you can

Drink lots of water.

No shame in starting a brand new game. Good way to make up for past strategy errors.

BTW, you'll love the ending!
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
Old 06-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #25
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
By now you know this is not an easy game. First game I ever started off on normal, then finished on easy. I know exactly the point you are at now - took me a long time to get control of the elevator! It gets much more intense at this point in the game...
Thanks Jim, I was thinking of a restart but if this is normal I may just stick with it and see if I can recover. I wonder if these things are coming in through the hull breach that I didnt bother to go fix earlier on...

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #26
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

Hull breaches all over the place. Makes no difference, as the deeper you go, the more intense it gets! I was not fond of the space walks - took me a long time to find stuff! You'll see when you get to the Cargo Containers, a real joy!!!
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
Old 06-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #27
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Ok, things are improving. I'm now sneaking past Typhon whenever I can rather than engaging them. Not like Dishonored, but occassionally its possible due to the repetitive behaviour of the NPC's when they're patrolling an area. Saving heaps of ammo.

Went exploring and found some Neuromods and upgraded my carrying capacity and ability to move stuff. Will go for weapon upgrades next.

I'll try and go do all the side missions before getting back on the main quest. Theres a page of them in my objectives.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #28
JimTram
Seabees, USN (Retired)

When you finished this game, your perspective on other games will certainly change! i.e. I can do DOOM with one eye closed, and in FO4, I snooze.
CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Win10 Pro 1703
Old 06-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #29
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:

When you finished this game, your perspective on other games will certainly change! i.e. I can do DOOM with one eye closed, and in FO4, I snooze.
I can see what you mean, this game is very challenging on several levels and I like that. I also like the exploration component where its possible to come at a problem by taking different approaches. Also the game really needs the player to be flexible about tactics. In many other games once you have a set of winning tactics you just keep re-using them over and over but in this game theres quite a bit of variability to the challenges that means a one trick pony approach wont work.

For example, I climbed into the data vault room which has vaults A and B. Once in there I discovered the door was blocked and there was no way out. I didnt have the necessary ability to shift the tape drive blocking the door.
So i found an alternative solution. Actually the save system is pretty good and its tempting to just give up and go back to a previous save. It pays off to just try a little harder.

Ok, so I've adjusted my strategy and giving the Typhon a run for their money.

Given all the above you'd think I'd love the game, right? Great graphics, challenge, exploration, but I dont. For some reason the fun factor is missing. Sure, theres the satisfaction you get from solving problems but its not particularly compelling. If I take true puzzle games for instance, theres a real pleasure when you logically solve a problem. Thats because in those games the problem scope is very clearly defined letting you focus your attention on it. Portal was a fun game to play that involved clearly defined puzzles.

This game on the other hand is so serious. The puzzles dont rely so much on logic but also what inventory you have at that point and what your current objectives are. For example, why did I need to get into that vault room? No reason, I just thought I'd try. Once I realised I may have trapped myself the frustration I felt outweighed the pleasure of figuring out how to get in there. All I feel at the end of any mission is thank goodness thats over. Its too much like real life and hard work.
Did you find that?

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 06-23-2017 at 08:46 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #30
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapionics<alt> View Post

For example, I climbed into the data vault room which has vaults A and B... why did I need to get into that vault room? No reason, I just thought I'd try...
Its worth mentioning that later on it became necessary to go into that room to complete the mission. Thats the third time that I recall getting into an area that I wasnt 'supposed' to have entered until later in the mission.
While I like exploration and discovery the games main mission is mostly linear (with alternate endings) so doing things out of sequence can sometimes create a sense of wasted effort because the reward for getting into those areas is not realised until later, when the pleasure of having found the way in has long gone.
So theres a few 'what was the point' moments.

"You Cannot Hide..."