ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #46
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Re: Prey 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTram View Post
Congrats Zap. It's an achievement in itself to finish this particular game.
Yes, we should get a "I survived Talos 1 T shirt or something.
Just not enough fun to this game, but awesome challenge.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #47
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Just about the ending and without spoilers; so its a twist and totally unexpected, but kinda silly IMHO. It just didnt seem to link to anything that happened that would give you an 'aha, of course!' moment, unless I missed stuff.
You can make any kind of twist in a story you like if you dont bother to link it to the game events. The ending is useful to explain some things tho, like the dumb A.I., lol. You could even argue that the number of times you died and reloaded is explainable because of the nature of the world, I dk.

What I did enjoy immensely was having to make an impossible choice at the end. It seemed there was a logical and rational argument that could be mounted for each choice based on utility and risk assessment. The pros and cons were very well put by the characters and the story too. At the very end the judgement piece was a bit too glib. The consequences for our choices needed to be presented in a more organic manner rather than the way it was.

I think this kind of thing should be explored more in gaming; so alternate endings based on choices made along the way with meaningful consequences that say something about how we think and behave, without relying on simple good/bad tropes. Ultimately I think Prey doesnt quite carry this off because the ending is too arbitrary and, as I said, a little too neat and disconnected, but full points for trying.

I mean, when u think about it, the biggest difference between books and movies and a computer game is the facility to shape the story and the ending based on the player choices.
Why not avoid the ads by joining the 'Zone today? The site is mostly ad free for members!

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 07-09-2017 at 09:42 PM..
Old 07-11-2017, 11:03 PM   #48
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I started a replay of Prey and what a difference experience makes!
Its like I'm unstoppable. I've levelled up pretty quickly on my favourite skills and powers and the Phantoms cant keep up. No more crawling along corridoors in total submissive fear, no sir! I'm pushing through like a hot knife through butter.

I've also taken on a couple of missions I didnt do last time and found a few rooms I didnt get into before.

I think the game is very replayable but I need to give it some time

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 01-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #49
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Replaying again! This time I'm experimenting with the gloo gun. I've found heaps of innovative ways of getting to places using gloo.
Its interesting, I'm using a slightly different load-out in terms of abilities and the result is different gameplay.

Also using alternative solutions to move obstacles when I dont have enough strength. Its amazing what can be done with the objects lying around.

I'm playing on "normal" which should be called hard...

This time around I'm gonna figure out how to use a reployer!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 01-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #50
fvbounty

I'll get Prey after I'm done with Wolfenstein 2...you getting me excited Zap....lol
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:17 AM   #51
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvbounty View Post
I'll get Prey after I'm done with Wolfenstein 2...you getting me excited Zap....lol
Its a great game, lots to it, upgrades and weapons mods, resource management and tactics. Some mystery and strangeness.

I'm at the reactor level and going exterior to try and get some medical supplies for someone and I'm getting lasered by corrupt operators and spammed by cystoids. This part can be frustrating as its easy to get lost and disoriented.

I'm facing a part moral and a part logical conundrum; given that my current objective is to destroy Talos 1, does it make sense to expend lots of resources and time trying to save crewmen who will probably die anyway?

For me, I feel compelled to help. Theres the moral value, but also a vague feeling that maybe later on I may need the favor to be reciprocated... which is a gamble, or that the crewman may factor into my future plans somehow.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 02-05-2018, 02:39 AM   #52
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Well, I've tried most of the endings now. Your actions result in different endings, although ultimately there's one destination. I found them all fairly satisfying.

Just a comment on the Operators; they're very sophisticated A.I. aren't they? [I mean in the game, not the actual game A.I. which is mostly basic]
A lot of the time there's more humanity coming from them than the human characters.

As to the Reployers, I believe I've discovered what they do.
Without spoilers; all I can say is that I believe that they're integrated with the save system. Without them our time on Talos 1 would be very short.

Great game!

"You Cannot Hide..."

Last edited by zapionics<alt>; 02-05-2018 at 02:47 AM..
Old 02-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #53
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

I want to say one last thing - about the zero g environments, both outside Talos 1 and inside it.

On my first play through I found them to be annoying and frustrating. Theres a sharp delineation between navigating rooms in a computer simulated 3D environment with gravity having a definite "up" and "down" orientation compared with zero g and no up/down. In real life we have the inner ear to help us keep track of up/down and movement which we obviously lack in-game. I think we rely heavily on our vision to correct for that, which means when gravity is removed it suddenly gets disproportionately more confusing.

But on the subsequent play throughs I found I started to really enjoy the zero g.
For one thing its a brilliant way to implement fast travel, by maintaining the suspension of disbelief and keeping you immersed in the game. I really hate fast travel in most games because of the portal type unnaturalness of it. I mean, why didn't anything happen when we fast travelled from one town to another anyway?

Secondly, I began to enjoy the difference and the freedom. No more climbing things. The cystoid spam attacks were still annoying, but I've come up with ways of dealing with them. Zero g gameplay really is the closest thing to flying like a bird.

Theres a lot to explore outside Talos 1 too. Its a good option when running low on resources.

I became a bit of an expert on the G.U.T.S too. In the end I could fly through that thing end to end pretty quickly and non-stop.

I think the replayability of this game is excellent due to the exploration and multiple ways of approaching problems.
The game just gets better the more you play it.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 02-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #54
fvbounty

Thanks for the mini reviews, its on my short list for sure!
Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX - Intel I7 7820K Cooled by Noctua NH D15S - 32 Gigs Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2666C15 - Asus GTX 980 TI Strix - Intel Optane 900P 280 gig for OS - Samsung 950 Pro 512 Gig Steam Library - Samsung 840 EVO 500 gig data - 1 TB WD Black data - Corsair 540 case with Corsair HXi750 PS - Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34" monitor - HyperX Alloy Elite RGB Keyboard - Mionix Naos 7000 mouse - AudioEngine A5+ Speakers - Sennheiser GSX 1000 USB sound card - AKG 7XX Red Limited Edition Headphones ....and some other stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #55
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

Bought and installed Prey with DLC. Got it for $18.59 delivered. The game has all positive reviews. You might like this one FVB, it is a alien FPS + survival like Half Life. I read graphics are good.
Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i9-7900X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB / Ducky Shine 3 YOTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS OC Panel / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

Old 02-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #56
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandog View Post
Bought and installed Prey with DLC. Got it for $18.59 delivered. The game has all positive reviews. You might like this one FVB, it is a alien FPS + survival like Half Life. I read graphics are good.
Its a great game overall Sandog. It will be interesting to hear how you go after all your recent Doom playing. In Doom you run around as fast as you can and shoot at anything that moves. Do that in Prey and you wont last long!
Take your time.

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 02-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #57
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

Just ran Prey '17 for the first time and adjusted settings to the max.

I have just started the game all the way until the doctor gets attacked while trying to drink coffee. Game is playing butter smooth. Getting 80-100 FPS and GPU temp hit 61C. This game is much like HL, istead of Freeman it is Morgan lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180217103853_1.jpg (117.2 KB, 12 views)
Corsair 760T Arctic White / ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX / Intel i9-7900X / ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS / Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 CMD32GX4M4C3200C16-ROG / SeaSonic Prime 750W Titanium / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q / Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Samsung 850 Pro SATA 1TB / Ducky Shine 3 YOTS / ASUS ROG GLADIUS II / ASUS OC Panel / ASUS Essence STX / Audioengine HDP6, N22, S8 / AKG K712 PRO

Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #58
zapionics<alt>
&lt;unknown level&gt;

Looks like a Prey expansion is coming and it's going to take us to the moon. I wonder if that's where Talos 2 is based?
I'm up for it!

"You Cannot Hide..."
Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #59
Sandog
CLUB ROG VI APEX

I will get back to this game sometime this year. Still in my second go round of TNO.