ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 11-27-2003, 12:30 AM   #1531
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Quote:
Originally posted by SLM crew chief
All I've bought was a new game.
You can buy me a Christmas gift-a LSI MegaRAID U320 controller. The one for $400 looks real good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-27-2003, 12:38 AM   #1532
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

Quote:
Originally posted by pointreyes
You can buy me a Christmas gift-a LSI MegaRAID U320 controller. The one for $400 looks real good.
I really hope you have better luck with your HD's than I having Bud. I had yet ANOTHER WD SE pack it in a couple days ago. I'm not even sure if I'm gonna RMA the thing as they seem to be total junk to me. That's 4 dead ones and two I didn't give that long to.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLM crew chief, EJD3, SKI, Drufuss, PeterT Your name here

I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's home to me and I walk alone -- Greenday
Old 11-27-2003, 01:21 AM   #1533
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Quote:
Originally posted by SLM crew chief
I really hope you have better luck with your HD's than I having Bud. I had yet ANOTHER WD SE pack it in a couple days ago. I'm not even sure if I'm gonna RMA the thing as they seem to be total junk to me. That's 4 dead ones and two I didn't give that long to.
Sorry to hear that. :sad: I'm suspecting that the 4 80Giggers I have on my RAID5 must have been some of the last good ones. Are maybe there is something to using a 3Ware controller. I have heard of bad drives from users of the Promise controllers but not the HPT ones. The only other WD I have is a single drive that is used for extra storage only. All the rest of my drives are Seagate and Maxtor.

Old 11-27-2003, 01:54 AM   #1534
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

I think I've had 7 of these now. I used two when I built my friends new rig and he got his after I got mine at the same store even and they knock on wood are running great. I guess I've just been having a run of bad luck. I guess I rather have it be HD's than boards and CPU's! Maybe If I call WD I can get them to RMA it for a Maxtor. What do you think?

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes
Old 11-27-2003, 02:22 AM   #1535
Sierra_abx

Sheez. I go to work, then come back home and find a bajillion new posts since this morning. After reading thru everything, I feel almost disadvantaged for ordering just one CPU. Took delivery yesterday, but I won't be able to install it until next week because I'm still waiting for a tube of Arctic Silver 5 to arrive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's a Costa Rica 2.4C (SL6Z3). We'll see how high it will run. Hoping for at least 285 FSB.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:05 PM   #1536
JoeBar
Bite me if u can...

Quote:
Originally posted by pastorjay
One 3.0 - $205

Two 3.0's - $410 shipped

Two new motherboards - $400

Being able to join the PTG - Priceless

PJ
One more for the PTG! Welcome!
2 x 1GB Transcend DDR2-533 @ 770mhz
2 x 36.7GB Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 | 300GB Western Digital Caviar SE SATA
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtrememusic combined with Cambridge Soundworks Megaworks 550 THX
Asus E616P3 DVD | Asus 1608-P DVD-RW
Thermaltake Kandalf black super tower with 4 x 120mm and 2 x 90mm blue led fans | Chieftec 550W Triple 12V rails - 120mm fan
Old 11-27-2003, 12:06 PM   #1537
JoeBar
Bite me if u can...

Re: Re: Re: announcement

Quote:
I tried, really I did but then I made a very biiiiiigggggg mistake. Newegg refurb section. Bad place. Very evil place. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Click. Oooops. Added to cart. Enter username and password was like not under my control.

I'm sorry everyone, I thought I could do it. :bigcry: Maybe next week.
I now, have proof that there are :alien: out there that control us....
2 x 36.7GB Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 | 300GB Western Digital Caviar SE SATA
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtrememusic combined with Cambridge Soundworks Megaworks 550 THX
Thermaltake Kandalf black super tower with 4 x 120mm and 2 x 90mm blue led fans | Chieftec 550W Triple 12V rails - 120mm fan
Old 11-27-2003, 12:10 PM   #1538
JoeBar
Bite me if u can...

Quote:
Can u force yourself not buy it till x-mas?!
Old 11-27-2003, 12:56 PM   #1539
pointreyes

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBar
Can u force yourself not buy it till x-mas?!
I'm trying to apply logic. It's hard, very hard.

Technically a database like Oracle prefers single drives instead of RAID configurations because Oracle can actually be faster with resources allocated through many drives. Oracle's ultimate configuration is a 21-disk configuration!

Having two 73GB U320 SCSI drives could seriously improve Oracle's performance over a RAID0 configuration. Since I already have RAID0 on both of my Canterwoods I already have the speed where needed on those 'puters.

On the same note, my Seagate RAID0 configuration on the P4C800E-D thanks to the slow SATA drive is dismally slow compared a single 73GB Seagate Cheetah.

My DFI Canterwood currently has the fastest hard drive configuration and it will be used for video encapturing. I might actually use the dual Opteron for the vidoe encoding back to the DVD since the two drives might be of benefit there.

My Asus Canterwood is becoming more of a secondary backup/gaming/testing rig while the DFI Canterwood is becoming more of the workhorse.

Three of my five 'puters are single OS 'puters.
IWill - Linux SuSE 9.0 Pro - RAID5
DFI - Windows XP Pro - RAID0
Abit - Windows ME - 4 Gig old drive from a Dell used only for my kids games.

Now for the fun:
Dual Opteron: TurboLinux 64-bit distro, Windows 2003 Enterprise Server. Soon will have two 73GB Seagate Cheetahs. Also the main rig for burning DVDs through the firewire port.
Asus Canterwood: Windows XP Pro, Linux SuSE 9.0 Pro, Longhorn. Has the dismal Seagate SATA RAID0 and one 120GB WD SE drive.

I'm so busy with software between all the 'puters it's absolutely funny that I'm finally settling down with hardware because I need time to focus on software development. I certainly have the hardware for it.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:59 PM   #1540
BBThumper
Happy, Joyous and Free

.......when was the last time you went on a vacation? I think your do .............
2 x 2gig pc26400
Nvidia 8400
2 x Raptors in Raid 0

......My City's moto: Welcome to Philly, now get the heck out!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2003, 01:04 PM   #1541
pointreyes

Quote:
Originally posted by BBThumper
.......when was the last time you went on a vacation? I think your do .............
You will get a kick out of this. On vacation I try to read at least 500 pages of materials related to software development.

However, I normally go on vacation once a year in the first part of July at a beach house that my wife's grandmother lets us use. And yes, I do interact with the family and do fun stuff-I try to read the materials when it is not intrusive to the family.

Oh and there is no computer for the two weeks I'm gone.

Old 11-27-2003, 01:16 PM   #1542
Sierra_abx

Quote:
You will get a kick out of this. On vacation I try to read at least 500 pages of materials related to software development.

However, I normally go on vacation once a year in the first part of July at a beach house that my wife's grandmother lets us use. And yes, I do interact with the family and do fun stuff-I try to read the materials when it is not intrusive to the family.

I went to Italy for a short vacation earlier this year, but could not stay away from the computer. I was in Florence which has small computer centers where you can rent a desktop for an hour or two. Was able to get my daily internet fix.

I noticed you mentioned Longhorn in an earlier post. Is this the Alpha version?
Old 11-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #1543
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

Quote:

P = Pointreyes
PW = Point's Wife

P "Uh, Honey, can you pass me the mustard and page 243 pleaseee?

PW "Sure, but the kids got sand and catsup on pages 245-8 and 250. There is no way you can make out fig. 214.32-14."

P "Thats no problem. I had a feeling that might happen. I have duplicates of pages 1-100, triplicate of 100-215 and I did 216 thru 502 in double inked quad part forms. As to that pic, I've got 6 more copies in the trunk of the car, Dear."

PW "Oh ok, then we can use one copy of 302-331 to start the fire on the beach tonight?"

P "Welllll........actually I'd prefer it if you'd use fig's 1.1-0 thru 1.1-25. Those weren't of any real use to me as I already know that. It's actually really basic."

PW "Ok, I'll grab the pics...... you grab the kids and I'll see by the deck."

P "How about if I grab the pics? I know which file folder they are in. You'd have to look thru at least the first 30 to find them."

PW "YES, then you grab the pics. I'll get the kids and be outside."

P "Alright, I'll be there in a few minutes. Let me grab those pics and maybe pages 246-260. Oh yea, I'll get the marshmellows too."

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes
Old 11-27-2003, 01:56 PM   #1544
pointreyes

Quote:
Originally posted by sierra_bound
I noticed you mentioned Longhorn in an earlier post. Is this the Alpha version?
I'm not sure if it's the alpha version or not. However, I'm stuck because the Intel drivers will not install. With the additional hard disk space on the Opteron system I might try testing Longhorn on it instead.

It is a rather interesting system considering the way the graphics works on it. Another thing of insterest is that the pop-up killer for future IE release is already in this one.

Old 11-27-2003, 01:57 PM   #1545
pointreyes

SLM crew chief