ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #3061
akash_abx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donatello
Sorry -- Thermal Interface Material. Did you use the stock Intel pad and HSF, or aftermarket stuff?
sorry i don't know abt this stuff , cause this is my first computer that im building myself

(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #3062
akash_abx

and another error that i get is audio clock inacurracy
i have installed AIW 9800 pr0 , so watching tv or playing dvd voice and video miss match a bit
Old 01-16-2005, 10:50 PM   #3063
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Location: It varies, but usually within 100 yards of a keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash
sorry i don't know abt this stuff , cause this is my first computer that im building myself

OK. My guess then is that you are using the HSF (heatsink/fan) that came with the processor. On the bottom, it would have had a thin, waxy square of material. (Let us know if this is the case, it may help.) This type of "pad" contains some thermally conductive material in a waxy base. When you first start the computer, the waxy part melts, leaving just the interface material between the CPU and HSF. The purpose is to keep good contact between them. If the contact is poor, the heat will not be transmitted to the HSF and your CPU will run hot.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:55 PM   #3064
akash_abx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogar
OK. My guess then is that you are using the HSF (heatsink/fan) that came with the processor. On the bottom, it would have had a thin, waxy square of material. (Let us know if this is the case, it may help.) This type of "pad" contains some thermally conductive material in a waxy base. When you first start the computer, the waxy part melts, leaving just the interface material between the CPU and HSF. The purpose is to keep good contact between them. If the contact is poor, the heat will not be transmitted to the HSF and your CPU will run hot.
yes you r right... this what i have,. so what should i do now.

i have to go to job i will keep in touch with u tomarrow thanx a lot
Old 01-16-2005, 11:19 PM   #3065
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Quote:
yes you r right... this what i have,. so what should i do now.

i have to go to job i will keep in touch with u tomarrow thanx a lot
OK, back to your situation. Regarding the overheating problem, check your setup and make sure all four hooks on the HSF are gripping the plastic retention base attached to the motherboard. If one of them is not connected, you will not have good contact. Also confirm that the two levers on the HSF that pull the HSF onto the board are fully pushed down (to make sure contact is good). Additionally, confirm that the fan seems to be operating at full speed. (It should make some "air" noise.)

Next, we need to know a little more about your temperatures and your fan setup. You mentioned earlier that your MB temp was 35C. That is at least 5C hotter than I would expect. (You are in a cold climate compared to me and my case is cooler.) As an example, in my case (and I am also running a Prescott), my temps are the following currently:

CPU Temperature (load--3D game): 53C
CPU Temperature (idle--writing this message): 45C
MB Temperature: 30C

My fan setup is two fans pulling air into the case from the front, one fan pulling air into the case from the side panel, and two fans exhausting air from the case at the back. If your case is running hot, your CPU will also be hot.

Regarding sound, are you using the onboard SoundMax sound? Did you install it using the ASUS CD that came with your motherboard?

What applications have been running when your system freezes?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #3066
akash_abx

Quote:
OK, back to your situation. Regarding the overheating problem, check your setup and make sure all four hooks on the HSF are gripping the plastic retention base attached to the motherboard. If one of them is not connected, you will not have good contact. Also confirm that the two levers on the HSF that pull the HSF onto the board are fully pushed down (to make sure contact is good). Additionally, confirm that the fan seems to be operating at full speed. (It should make some "air" noise.)

Next, we need to know a little more about your temperatures and your fan setup. You mentioned earlier that your MB temp was 35C. That is at least 5C hotter than I would expect. (You are in a cold climate compared to me and my case is cooler.) As an example, in my case (and I am also running a Prescott), my temps are the following currently:

CPU Temperature (load--3D game): 53C
CPU Temperature (idle--writing this message): 45C
MB Temperature: 30C

My fan setup is two fans pulling air into the case from the front, one fan pulling air into the case from the side panel, and two fans exhausting air from the case at the back. If your case is running hot, your CPU will also be hot.

Regarding sound, are you using the onboard SoundMax sound? Did you install it using the ASUS CD that came with your motherboard?

What applications have been running when your system freezes?
first of all thanx for ur patience for helping me out
so first i checked the four hooks. all were hooked properly.
but the heat sink was not properly fixed ,so i cheked the two
levers that u mentioned , and find out they were not even pushed
then i remove the heat siink and saw tht the compound on the heat sink
was not even melted.. now i pushed the heatsink properly
so i think this is why its was getting so hot .
there is no perticular proagram whan it freezes , some time when i play HL2 , or surfing net
now after running the computer for 20 min
cpu temp is 42c b4 fixing it used to be 57-59
MB temp is 31C but its still increasing used to be 35 and more
so i think i should't freeze now .
im runing 1 fan from side pannel only.
rest is 1 on cpu and with PSU
so i think its only 1 fan the is pushing airout .
so how many i need to keep it more cool?

second problem abt the sound card .. yes i m using onboard sound card
drivers were installed from the cd and also tried different updates
but no use.
i also get soem static noise in the speakers.
it gets louder when i scrool/move/click mouse.
so i will run the system for 5-6 hrs to c if it is still freezing and will post the update tonight
thanx a lot for ur help
Old 01-17-2005, 10:44 AM   #3067
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

You are welcome. It looks like we are making progress.

Regarding the case fans, I recommend adding one intake and one exhaust fan. Put the intake fan in the front and the exhaust fan in the back or top. (Most cases do not have a top exhaust, but front and back are common.) Check inside your case. It should have cutouts where you can mount fans.

Let me add that most fans just blow one way. You just change the side you attach to the case to change the airflow. Typically, the side where the wires come out is the exhaust side.

It appears that you set up your sound card correctly, although having problems with onboard sound is possible since other devices (like your mouse) can interfere. I cannot recall the solution, and there are several, depending on the situation. Use the search function here and find other threads where they discuss this problem. There should be quite a few. Here is an example using SoundMax and static as the search words:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/search...earchid=539398
Old 01-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #3068
akash_abx

Unhappy

Quote:
You are welcome. It looks like we are making progress.

Regarding the case fans, I recommend adding one intake and one exhaust fan. Put the intake fan in the front and the exhaust fan in the back or top. (Most cases do not have a top exhaust, but front and back are common.) Check inside your case. It should have cutouts where you can mount fans.

Let me add that most fans just blow one way. You just change the side you attach to the case to change the airflow. Typically, the side where the wires come out is the exhaust side.

It appears that you set up your sound card correctly, although having problems with onboard sound is possible since other devices (like your mouse) can interfere. I cannot recall the solution, and there are several, depending on the situation. Use the search function here and find other threads where they discuss this problem. There should be quite a few. Here is an example using SoundMax and static as the search words:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/search...earchid=539398
hello cogar
even the temp of cpu is down now around 45-50c system is still freezing.
do i need to update my bios its ver,1016.001 .
Old 01-18-2005, 12:59 AM   #3069
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Quote:
hello cogar
even the temp of cpu is down now around 45-50c system is still freezing.
do i need to update my bios its ver,1016.001 .
I am almost positive that I am running 1016, and have no problems. Additionally, that was a "popular" and relatively "trouble free" BIOS. It is also possible that you are having problems with your installation of Windows. You might check out Mr. Steveo's guide to make sure everything installed correctly. It is located here --> link

I am not so sure about freezing, but random reboots are often caused by power supply, CPU, and memory problems. I am guessing that your CPU is OK. Hard to say for sure. The easiest thing to do is to run memtest on your memory. If that does not reveal any problems, you might try another power supply to swap with the one you are using.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 AM   #3070
akash_abx

Quote:
I am almost positive that I am running 1016, and have no problems. Additionally, that was a "popular" and relatively "trouble free" BIOS. It is also possible that you are having problems with your installation of Windows. You might check out Mr. Steveo's guide to make sure everything installed correctly. It is located here --> link

I am not so sure about freezing, but random reboots are often caused by power supply, CPU, and memory problems. I am guessing that your CPU is OK. Hard to say for sure. The easiest thing to do is to run memtest on your memory. If that does not reveal any problems, you might try another power supply to swap with the one you are using.
hello cogar
after this problem i also formated my disk and install win2000 pro again.
i have alredy run memtest and there is no problem in the memory. and i have already put a new supply 450w but still same freezing thing.
yesterday it freezes 3 times in 15 min
is ts possible that MB is defective.?i have already ask for RMA no. to asus , i don't know when i going to get it , any idea?
i can't play CS and HL2 because of this freezing thing"sigh"
Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #3071
leeghoofd

did you try to place a cooler on the northbridge ? My asus P4C800-E deluxe heatsink was very hot , I placed a small 6cm fan on it and no more freezes from then on here's a piccie

Also for the ATI card set AGP to 66/33Mhz in Bios, lock it at AGP 4X, Fastwrites disabled and up AGP voltage to 1.6.
In the ATI control panel : smartgard : fastwrites off and AGP to 4X.

I am using Bios 1016 for a long time no without any hassles, I just had to set my timings of my memory myself , it was being detected wrongly. Check those !!!

Intel E6600@3600 1.47 - Asus Striker (0402 bios) - 2 gig OCZ 4-4-4-10 1T 2.1 volts - EVGA 8800GTX 1 Gig 97.92 - Plextor 7140 DVD Writer - Enermax Liberty 620 - Rage3d Folding team
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by leeghoofd; 01-18-2005 at 12:26 PM..
Old 01-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #3072
Cogar
Level 16, lawful good

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeghoofd
did you try to place a cooler on the northbridge ? My asus P4C800-E deluxe heatsink was very hot , I placed a small 6cm fan on it and no more freezes from then on here's a piccie
---(snip)---
I am curious. How did you mount that fan?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #3073
Keri
Waiting for HL2 Ep:3

Heck guys...My Northbridge is still NAKED and running fine at 3.5GHz. Strange how a missing heatsink causes no problems.
2X1GB Gskill DDR2 800
Lian-Li PC-V2000B
OCZ 520W Modstream
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA Dual Layer DVD Burner
1 X Western Digital 320G SATA II
2 X Maxtor 250G SATA I
1 X Western Digital 250G External USB 2.0
MSI NX8600GTS 256MB PCI-E
Samsung Syncmaster 20" 205BW Widescreen TFT
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 32bit
2GB Cruzer Flash Drive (Ready Boost)
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround System
Logitech Cordless Keyboard
Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:42 PM   #3074
Mystery Man

Me either. Northbridge naked too. Summer here as well and no freezes yet
Old 01-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #3075
akash_abx

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeghoofd

Also for the ATI card set AGP to 66/33Mhz in Bios, lock it at AGP 4X, Fastwrites disabled and up AGP voltage to 1.6.
In the ATI control panel : smartgard : fastwrites off and AGP to 4X.

I am using Bios 1016 for a long time no without any hassles, I just had to set my timings of my memory myself , it was being detected wrongly. Check those !!!
in bios i couldn't find to set agp to 66/33 ,
in ati control pannel fast writes is off , and i set it at 4x

i have so other questios abt bios in my system
1)throttle slow clock ratio [50%]
2)system thermal [diasble]
3)spread spectrum [enabled]
4)pci latency timer [64]
5)qfan control [11/16]
these r some bios configuration that i don't know
and there is nothing adt AGP to set it at 66/33
and how can i enable NAT
i m using 3200 OCZ ultra DUal kit 256*2