ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 10-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #811
ajm786_abx
ajm786 = ???

Me three. I though my IC7 was bad.

Tell us?

Abit IC7 w/BIOS 24 * P4 2.6C @ 3.25 w/Zalman CNPS7000-Cu * Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPT 1GB * Samsung SP1614C and SP0812C SATA; Toshiba SD-M1712; NEC ND-2510A * BFG 6800 OC* Intel PRO/100+ LAN; Audigy 2 ZS Platinum; WinTV Go * Antec 480W TruePower in CoolerMaster ATCS 201-SX * Viewsonic 19" P90f Flat, and WinXP Pro/SP2 * Natural Multimedia Keyboard and Logitech MX500

PC/HT audio setup:
Cambridge MC50 center, Athena AS-B1 mains, Megaworks 510D sub, Sonance Mariner 100 rear; connected to Onkyo TX-SR500 via Audigy 5.1 multichannel
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-09-2003, 06:40 PM   #812
CrocHammer
Croc - OlderOvercrocker

That's ridiculous. There are few real board issues as far as I can see. There are lots of posts because so many have them. It's easily the #1 board out there.

1. What would be the point? By the time you get them they are out of date same as the stuff on the CD.
2. Who uses onboard sound? It actually works pretty well though.
3. Is that a personal opion? My opinion ( and I was used to Award ) is it functions very well and is easy to work with. Abit has had terrible problems with their bios on both the 865 and 875 boards.
4. Never, ever had that problem.
5. No idea I am not there yet.
6. That's BS. I have had a zillion failures pushing this board to the limit. Ditto with the P4P800 before it. Never had to clear CMOS yet. I have had to use the Insert key while powering on but that's no biggy. User education might help here.
7. That's ridiculous. I wonder how many really needed to do that and how much was user error or lack of understanding of what to do. On rare occassions you might get a corrupt bios something message that askes you to insert floppy or cd if the ram settings are way out of whack. It's not for real, you just shutdown and reboot.
8. Board revisions are nothing new for Asus or any other manufacturer.

The P4C E Deluxe is still the best 875 board out there with out a doubt as far as I am concerned. Surf the Abit forums and reviews on the MAX. I am not married to any manufacturer but I would not go there. They still have lots of bios problems. My 60 cents worth.
1XS. Barracuda 640 gig 7200.11
2 x S. Barracuda 320 gig 7200.10 in RAID O
LG sATA DVD/RW
Logitech G5 Laser mouse & G11 keyboard
Corsair HX-520 watt modular PSU
Lian-li PC60U -updated mod & lighting
4 x 80mm inlet and 2 x 80mm exit fans on Hexus fan controller
Old 10-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #813
Lars A

1. Any problem? Not for those that built computers b4, and first time is allways learning time. Read manual closely, download all drivers from internet prior to install, with the old workhorse.

2. Subjective issue. My Audigy2 still resides in the ol' CUSL2 for a reason. Has something to do with the best audio IC supplier of all times: Analog Devices.

2. Subjective issue. I have had no problems at all.

4. Havent heard of any confirmed bugs (Im using SATA) Could be a user error, as it mostly are.

5. Not if you put SATA drives in the right connectors...

6. Well...could be useful to install a CMOS reset pushswitch for those that has to run on the edge of the capabilities. ASUS decided not to. I have shorted those pins 3 times, and I was really exhausted after that trauma.

7. No, it could be an alternative for resetting the CMOS. Only for soft ppl.

8. Yeah...thats a mysterioum. My card is rev older, and it runs away from me anyway, makin no fuzz at all, just perform. If a manufacturer makes a noncritical update, like stabilizing Vcore some cents, he does not have to make a noise about it. Its not a fix, just an improvement.

I guess you should select the Abit so u can OC more times on a shorter period. Shall we call it "The failed OC/sec" parameter? I guess it outplays the importance of havinga a workin board: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread/t-55900.html

Lars A

1. Main: ASUS P4C800-E ; rev 1.02 ; BIOS 1023, P4 2800 @ 3012mhz FSB:215=860,CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu,2g RAM (stock) 2,5-3-3-8 400mhz,1x300gb PATA Maxtor Diamondmax10,2x120gb SATA Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9,Antec case 1080AMG-EC 430W TP,Club3D X800XTPE w. Arctic Silencer 4,DVD Pioneer DVR-A06,XP Pro Sp2,2 19" Philips LCD monitors,Logitech MX518 Optwire Rat, Logitech ,bluelite KB, Mobo AD Soundmax sound,TV-tuner Leadtek TV2000 XP Deluxe,Saitek Joystick and sep. gashandle

2. Games: Gigabyte GA965P-DS4, P4 3200@3500 880mhz busrate 1M L2, Zalman CNPS9700NT, 4gbyte RAM Kingston, Gigabyte 8600GTS graphics card, 2940U/UW SCSI controller, a 9gb compaq UW, IBM Scsi2. This one sux right now due to a slow CPU. Will upgrade to Core2Extreme when opportunity comes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Play mainly Battlefield 2 ; mod Project Reality. No serious need for power...

Switching between those with a VGA/USB Mouse/USB keyboard/headphone switcher from Aten.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:46 PM   #814
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

Thanks Croc, BBThumper and Lars. These were just what I found trudging thru 50+ pages of posts most of which were problimatic, and NOT MUCH praise for this board. Just to reiderate though.

1. How do you d/l a driver with a computer that won't run w/o said driver? Set up a single drive, install os, etc., d/l driver, resetup computer then install os, etc again? Common, throw in a .10 cent floppy.

2. If no one uses onboard sound, then why include the SoundStorm and promote it, or sound at all? Isn't that the point of putting it on or is it just to charge us more?

3. It reads as if the BIOS is horrid... hard to navigate, incorrect lables, stupid hard to get set up. That is just what I read here. I was hoping to hear praise for the AMI. It just comes off as being horrid to use and set up.

4. So if the board/bios doesn't see one of the IDE's that is a rare occurance and probably calls for a RMA?

5. As to the loss of the RAID on the ICH5R with a bios update, the only way to avoid that is to have SATA drives hooked to the ICH5R SATA ports?

6. Glad to hear that this really isn't a issue. That was an instant turn off! I read it as if you had to clear it every time. Someone posted to the effect that he had worn a path back and forth it had to be reset so often.

7. So a failed OC won't corrupt the BIOS? Ever with this board?

8. I agree that newer revisions are to be expected as the design matures but usually there are release notes or something telling what was fixed. It just seems to me that ASUS is trying to hide something here.

Please give me more opinions and thoughts. My plans are to couple a new canterwood with:

1 GB Mushkin PC 3500 Lvl 2
P4C 2.8 and hope for 3.0 at 1:1
2 WD or Maxtor SATA in RAID 0 on ICH5R
other HD that are just lying around
Hercules? 9800pro

What do you guys think?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SLM crew chief, EJD3, SKI, Drufuss, PeterT Your name here

I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's home to me and I walk alone -- Greenday
Old 10-09-2003, 07:48 PM   #815
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

Quote:
Originally posted by ajm786
Me three. I though my IC7 was bad.
I guess that you can get a bad board from anyone. I built a IC7 for a friend. That thing is stupid stable and damn fast. I couldn't find a fault with it.

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes
Old 10-09-2003, 09:43 PM   #816
CrocHammer
Croc - OlderOvercrocker

Of course. Most people will post here who have questions, not usually to post AWSOME, love it, etc.. That's pretty common in most support forums. I tend to look at good, reliable review sites for their impressions and opinions. If you look further you also see the occassional poll and the last one I saw had the Asus board miles ahead of any other.

1. Check out Mr. Steveo's Operating Installation Guide in this forum. Most DYI builders are going from build to another. Given due diligence in the above, you will have backed up your software and downloaded the latest of what you need in advance with the current machine or a friends.
2. Not everyone is a gamer and cares about super sound. Getting onboard sound and nic is a bonus if your new rig is primarily for business, server or, say, video editing. The P4C800E dlx frankly is a bit of overkill for a performance or gamer board.
3. What can I say, that's a user issue and a bit of a joke to be frank. After all the years doing this, the new AMI bios is very easy to read and follow. Toss in the very well done manual ( too many don't bother to read it ) and I can't begin to understand the issue there.
4. No idea how prevalent that is. It can be an issue when first setting up the board but once done I can't see it being a prevalent issue. Just read some of the posts again and you often find some forgot it's a WD drive and the jumpers are different than their Maxtors, installed to the wrong SATA headers, yadda, yadda. Who knows, other hardware plays a role, e.g., someone posted there floppy cable was fubar.
5. Dunno.
6. Very rare indeed.
7. Nope. You DON"T usually board revision notes from any manufacturer. In some cases it may mean a minor change to board components that are completely transparent to the user. Asus hiding anything seems a tad paranoid. Would you be happier if they didn't revise or otherwise improve the board?
LG sATA DVD/RW
Old 10-09-2003, 10:49 PM   #817
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

Thanks again CrocHammer. And congrats on 1200 posts!

I value your opinions as you have been on this board almost as long as I have. Is there such a thing a "reliable" review site? If you know of one other than anandtech, please let me know. The ONLY reason I believe anything there is because of Prom going there. I can't recall ever reading a bad review anywhere. Remember how everyone raved over the P4S8X? I'm also waiting for YoBoGo's impression of this board vs. the Max3, and hopefully some others will chime in with why to get this board and not why not to.

1. Mr. Stevo's guide is excellent. I've used and recommended it to others who have noticed additional stability and serious performance gains by following it, myself included on my last couple builds for buds. Two of those were very budget AMD's and the last was a full gaming rig with the IC7 and a 2.8.

2. I just can't see the point in implimenting extras into a board if they don't work well. Oh well, guess I'd have to keep the SB Live afterall.

3. Your statements about the bios are what I wanted to hear. Finally someone saying it is good that has used it! And someone who has some experience with both.

7. As to being a tad paranoid with ASUS hiding something, you're probably correct. The last ASUS board I had was the CUSL2 that got destroyed in a lightening strike. It seems since then they have had a run of "off" boards ie P4PE, P4S8X, P4C800 dlx. So yea, I'm nervous about ASUS (and I raved about the CUSL2) and what I read here and the penny-pinching on the packaging of what is supposed to be a top of the line board makes me a little nervous. That's all.

Thanks again and keep it comming!

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes
Old 10-09-2003, 11:15 PM   #818
vbhard
Is it sTaBLE?

1. ASUS is still so cheap they don't include the highly needed raid drivers on a FLOPPY?
I know for some of us that's a problem but it's not hard to click on make floppy from the cd provided

2. The sound is WORSE than a SoundBlaster 5.1? I didn't know that was possible
....not as loud as 5.1..quality is about the same

3. The BIOS is AMI = junk.
well it works so don't know why it is junk..the only annoying aspect I have come across is to change the boot order if you add more hdd's or a usb stick attached to it

4. The board frequently won't see EIDE drives on the standard channels?
nope ....never experienced but then again i am using the latest BIOS

5. The BIOS will sometimes lose the RAID function of the ICH5R on update?
not if the bios update is done correctly...ALT+F2 on startup is the best flawless method I have come across which works all the time

6. A failed OC requires you to clear the CMOS?
Only in extremes....happenned once when I was aiming for 315FSB

7. Sometimes a failed OC will require a BIOS REFLASH?
never but don't leave the cd or floppy with bios on it since it is like crashfree bios which looks for other bios if the oc fails

8. There is a REV. 2 board but no one knows why? (Reminds me of the "How many caps are on your board" discussions.)
who knows if prescott support would be added.. sounds like just another mktg glitch to me

Quote:
You guys in the know here..... Help me out. Thanks [/B]
Make up ur own mind..every board has flaw and would fail when stretched too far...how long it can sustain the stretch is the question

But one thing I can tell ya P4C800-E can sustain that stretch...

if someone says they have the rock solid 865/875 board that has never failed ...try running 3 instances of prime 2212, 2361, 2371 and seti at the same time...play 3dgames like quake 3 for about 20-30 minutes ..pause the game for ~10-15 minutes without exiting and try play game again for 5-10 minutes...see what happens..not many boards can sustain that stretch

over and out
Old 10-09-2003, 11:31 PM   #819
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

Thanks for the information vbhard but I see from your profile that you have a Gigbyte GA8KNXP. I take it you gave up on the P4C800-E dlx. Why? Do you like the Gigabyte better?

The questions were based on what I read in the 50+ pages posted in this thread. Those were what seemed to be the major issues.

Also, does anyone know if the BIOS has the option to disable SMART for the HD's?

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes
Old 10-09-2003, 11:37 PM   #820
vbhard
Is it sTaBLE?

Quote:
Originally posted by SLM crew chief
Thanks for the information vbhard but I see from your profile that you have a Gigbyte GA8KNXP. I take it you gave up on the P4C800-E dlx. Why? Do you like the Gigabyte better?

The questions were based on what I read in the 50+ pages posted in this thread. Those were what seemed to be the major issues.

Also, does anyone know if the BIOS has the option to disable SMART for the HD's?
sorry I haven't updated the profile for a while now so far I have played with all the major canterwood/springdale boards except abit

gigabyte is a good stable board and has taken the place of my back up server but not a very good ocer I am afraid ....not much fun

from memory......yes you can disable smart function in the bios
Old 10-10-2003, 12:22 AM   #821
BBThumper
Happy, Joyous and Free

......I love my Asus ..................

2 x 2gig pc26400
Nvidia 8400
2 x Raptors in Raid 0

......My City's moto: Welcome to Philly, now get the heck out!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #822
Nefarious
Skule Sucks!

SLM crew chief, from the way you discuss the P4C E, it seems as though you don't like the board. IMHO, buy the board, and see if YOU like it. If you don't then reutrn it and get the MAX3 that you seem to want.

You really have to decide which you think is right for you. If you have a sound card, then use it instead, i don't know why the onboard sound is an issue if your going to disable it anways and use your SB card. I haven't had problems with the board (well maybe little ones , but nothing serious)

As CrocHammer said. you never hear too much about the people that are happy, cuz they dont have any problems. You just hear the problems cuz that's what ABXZone is mostly for. People with problems, and others who can help.

Just buy the board and see if you like it. I know that almost everyone here who has one does... you just don't hear from them
3.0C (SL6WK) @3675MHz @1.525v| P4C800E Deluxe rev.1.02 (BIOS v1014) | Thermalright XP-120; 120mm SilenX 14db Fan | 2x 512MB OCZ PC3700EB @ 3-3-2-6-8T-64T-64Ásec @ FSB245 @ 2.85v | ATi Radeon 9600XT @1.50v, Cat. 4.6 | Audigy 2 ZS | 2x WD360 (RAID0); WD1200JB; Seagate 120GB S-ATA | LG 48x24x48/16X DVD-ROM Combo | Enermax EG475AX-VE | Lian Li PC-V1000B | Win XP Pro SP2;
Kernel 2.6.7
Old 10-10-2003, 12:47 AM   #823
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

Nefarious , I currently neither like nor dislike either of the boards (P4C -E or the Max3). I don't have either so I can't. I don't know when you joined this board but I have been reading it since it was CUSL2.com so please don't act like I just got here. I know how this works.

I remember the teething problems that the CUSL2's had and some of them were pretty big but there were never the ammount of horror stories posted then as there were in this thread.

That's why I read every post in this thread and came up with a list of what seemed to be HUGE issues. Several people have now assured me that they aren't as bad as they were made out to be. That's what I wanted to know. Please don't be offended. I am looking for some clarification and positive stories which you and several others are finally providing.

Just as to the sound, I don't want to have to use an add in sound card if the board has sound included. I want to throw the pci buss hogging SoundBlaster Live in the nearest lake. Something else that I would like to know though..... can two sets of speakers be hooked up to the onboard for front and rear channels? I assume that it can be as it is 6.1. Am I correct? Thanks and

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes
Old 10-10-2003, 03:16 AM   #824
CrocHammer
Croc - OlderOvercrocker

Quote:
but there were never the ammount of horror stories posted then as there were in this thread.
That's a little over the top.

I have been following and contributing to this thread and Monky's P4P800 review and I have not seen the "horror stories" you are talking about, even based on the "issues" you posted. Most of the issues are not big ones at all as far as I can see and a lot of them can often be attributed to user errors and lack of understanding. A lot of the "problems" posted can be attributed to some not bothering to read the manual.

There are other good reviews and on-going threads over at Bleeding Edge, Legit Reviews, HardOCP, Xbit Labs, Anandtech and some others.

Yes you can hook up the onboard for front and rear channels.

I am not sure if I would go with Hercules for the 9800Pro based on $'s/performance.

I think the Mushkin 3500 is better suited to the 3.0C and above.
Depends on what you want. If you don't care about a higher overclock potential 1:1 then the Mushkin will get you great timings.

Good luck with your decision.
LG sATA DVD/RW
Old 10-10-2003, 03:29 AM   #825
SLM crew chief
We Came We Saw We Folded

Quote:
Originally posted by CrocHammer

Yes you can hook up the onboard for front and rear channels.

I am not sure if I would go with Hercules for the 9800Pro based on $'s/performance.

I think the Mushkin 3500 is better suited to the 3.0C and above.
Depends on what you want. If you don't care about a higher overclock potential 1:1 then the Mushkin will get you great timings.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the reply Croc

The Hercules card is 30.00 more than a ATI 9800pro at newegg with 30.00 off with memory purchase. That's why it pretty much topped my list. What card would you suggest?

Tight memory timings are my hang-up (old school I guess ) and I'd like to get a 2.8 to 3.0 (214 fsb)1:1 and hoping that the Mushkin will do it. If I could find some other RAM rated 2,3,2,6 that is PC 3700 or 4000 that would be sweet but I haven't found any yet. Again, what would suggest?

edit:

What timings can you get out of your OCZ? Where do you have to run it to get the OC you have? I really would like people to put all the information up ie ratio, timings, vdimm, etc. This isn't a shot at anyone, just a recommendation.

TIA and

I walk a lonely road
Don't know where it goes