ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #16
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Quote:
Originally posted by SubZero
I didn't get pm8 running on our 2k AS systems properly because I think it supidly assumes we are using dynamic disks! Another theory is that Powerquest needs to make more money with their v2i server version.
Bingo. Symantec, PowerQuest, and others (including Acronis) have server versions, if you have $500 or more you to can use these versions of software. Sarcasm aside, there are very good reasons for having server versions since servers have to handle 'enterprise' level software. Interestingly though this is true I have been doing images of server OSes at home running Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition for a few years and not had a problem yet. In fact, it was from running W2k Advanced Server with AD that convinced me to never trust Ghost for imaging because the changing of the SID kills the recovery of the Server OS that is running AD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #17
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyJohn
Do you have any info/leads or anything on the next version of TI? I'm really hoping they add a verify option to the next release.

Thanks,
CJ
I have been hearing sometime in August for ICH5R support but nothing else-like a verify option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:30 PM   #18
SubZero

Really??! :eek: I'll have to keep that in mind!

How about DI!

Quote:
Originally posted by pointreyes
In fact, it was from running W2k Advanced Server with AD that convinced me to never trust Ghost for imaging because the changing of the SID kills the recovery of the Server OS that is running AD.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:43 PM   #19
pointreyes

Quote:
Really??! :eek: I'll have to keep that in mind!

How about DI!
DI2002 has always recovered my w2k AS with AD. DI7 has been so much of a pain in the [you know what] that I have given up trying to get it to work properly. Miserable thing has a problem reading hard drive partitions correctly so it makes it hard for me to trust it. I think DI7 will work like DI2002 because I have not seen any mention of changing the SID. AD is very sensitive about the SID changing and even using the AD recovery manager is iffy at best with recovery. Much prefer trusting DI over Ghost with this.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:57 PM   #20
SubZero

Never was able to solve the strange problems I'm having with DI2002. Somehow our servers (mostly 2k AS), which operate on a 100Mbit switch seem to have their connection speed misinterpreted by DI2002. DI simply locks up after 30 seconds or som while creating or restoring an image.

Can't find the INI file or other config files (or the right paramters for that matter) to maybe not use autodetect on DI but staticly set it at 100Mbit.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #21
pointreyes

Quote:
Can't find the INI file or other config files (or the right paramters for that matter) to maybe not use autodetect on DI but staticly set it at 100Mbit.
What OS did you use to create the network boot disks?

Old 09-14-2003, 09:22 PM   #22
pointreyes

Acronis TrueImage will install and work in w2k3 Enterprise Server!!!!

Old 10-20-2003, 08:02 PM   #23
bajo
C1eaner

Question

Do I get any benefits for home use if I install the new Office2003 (upgrade) over my OfficeXPpro ??
Gigabyte_AGP_LGA775, PentiumD960_dual core 3.6GHz, SapphireHD3850_AGP512MB_DDR2, WD RaptorX 150GB SATA_clearTop_16MB + Seagate 1TB SATA_32MB, CorsairDominator 2GB 8500_1066MHz, Dell 24" 2408WFP *AGP +DVIx2 +HDMI +DisplayPort +USB2x4, XPproSP3

Inspiron9400 17"uxga CentrinoC2duoT7600_2.39GHz_685MHz 4GB Micron6400@800_675_400MHz GeForceGo7900GSMobileForce_M6Enhanced_256MB 2x500GbSATA_7200rpm_16MBcache Vista hp, VistaP6002_SP2
Old 10-26-2003, 01:27 AM   #24
h|2es

Server 2k3 vs XP Pro for Gamers NO - for Client Collaboration = YES !

I have both and do not think there is not a nickel worth of difference between Enterprise Server 2k3 and XP Pro in gaming performance. Enterprise Server 2k3 is not an over install.It is a completely fresh formatted disk install.

Also there can be problems with some drivers and higher end video editing progs for awhile. The plus is you have a lot of built in features and a great server and can fine tune everything if you need it. But the fine tuning is not going to make your games run faster. You will be better off cleaning the registry and defragging it and your HD for a performance improvement. lol.

Nevertheless, my experience using Enterprise Server 2k3 with Exchange2k3, SharePoint, Live Communications, working with Microsoft Office Office Suite Pro 2k3 and OneNote have me convinced the combination is awesome; even for a home network like mine.

I see very little benefit in upgrading or switching to Office Suite Pro 2k3. The file formats are the same for data and the same irritations are in Office Suite as we had before like having to use an activex control to load flash files in PowerPoint etc.

If you are not using the Server 2k3 programs like Live Communications and SharePoint you will not get much benefit from 2k3 Office except for one thing - you can finally prevent people from copying and printing things you send them - lol - it is about time.

OneNote is outstanding and worth the price of admission but know that Outlook Express does not integrate directly with OneNote on my XP Office Pro machine. Otherwise OneNote works flawlessly and i recommend it highly to everyone even if you do not have MS Office Suite. It ROCKS, and it will store everything so you can get to it fast. You will never loose a piece of information again if you use it. It is absolutely outstanding.

But again, OneNote does not link direct to Outlook Express Mail. I do not have the Outlook 2002 running on that machine to have checked to know if it will work but doubt it and I will not use it until I switch to the 2k3 version because Outlook 2k2 just sucks compared to Outlook Express in my book.

Outlook 2k3 is I think going to convert me. It feels better and I like the flexibility of being able to look on the Exchange server to get a mini view to pick what to download when i am traveling. No more need to use vpn with the Exchange 2k3 either - that is over. Windows in Outlook 2k3 are Vertical instead of Horizontal and the reading area has about 40 percent more info than the std window in the 2k2 version.

Server 2k3 with the new software is incredibly fast, flexible, and easy to use with Office and the new Outlook 2k3 is a big step forward. People in companies that have the cash to buy it will be very happy campers.

Also finally MS has gone back to their original contract with their customers - I think you will be able to run one copy at home of your Office 2k3 at work; if i heard the speaker right at the launch seminar for 2k3. MS seem to be back on track.

Last edited by h|2es; 10-26-2003 at 01:54 AM..
Old 10-29-2003, 02:54 AM   #25
Pan Lexx

Win 2003 Optimize Tool v1.40 Final
salasource
Windows Server 2003 Optimize Tool is a kind of software that enables Windows Server 2003 multimedia and basic Workstation features. It is All in 1 solution. Some 3rd-part files are integrated, like uxtheme.dll patches.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:21 PM   #26
TheMatrix
Asus Aficionado

Quote:
Also finally MS has gone back to their original contract with their customers - I think you will be able to run one copy at home of your Office 2k3 at work; if i heard the speaker right at the launch seminar for 2k3. MS seem to be back on track.

:eek: That is kewl! Unfortunately the launch event that I was at didn't mention that at all.

I did read about it from a co-worker who forwarded an article about the new "home use" licensing in the upcoming Office release. I've been anticipating more news about this, but haven't heard officially about it yet. I'm sure the EULA will elaborate on this. I'm going to contact my MS rep on Monday to verify the "home-use" license for Office 2003.

I'm completely thrilled and shocked that MS "gave away" O2K3 to launch attendees. Gotta love Outlook 2003, and Exch 2003 when used in combo.

Last edited by TheMatrix; 10-31-2003 at 11:34 PM..
Old 12-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #27
Ghostrider

Re: Server 2k3 vs XP Pro for Gamers NO - for Client Collaboration = YES !

Quote:
Originally posted by h|2es

Server 2k3 with the new software is incredibly fast, flexible, and easy to use with Office and the new Outlook 2k3 is a big step forward. People in companies that have the cash to buy it will be very happy campers.
Right now I have my old computer (XP1700+, 1GB RAM) with WinXP Pro and my new one (Opteron 246, 2GB RAM) with Win2k3 Server Web Edition...

I am NOT sure if there is ANY difference between these two systems in NORMAL WORKING SPEED.

I just can't see any differences while doing simple tasks on these computers. Untill now I did only a few benches (SiSoft Sandra) and the results were verry good - but in "every-day-use" there is no difference.

I know that a computer with Windows 2000 Server is slower than a computer with Windows 2000 Professional. No wonder - the server-version is running much more tasks in the backgroud.

I'll try WinXP on the Opteron soon...

Regards,
Ghostrider
Old 12-20-2003, 04:30 PM   #28
kaishaku

I use Acronis PartitionExpert 2003 in Win2k3. It works well.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:47 PM   #29
pointreyes

Re: Re: Server 2k3 vs XP Pro for Gamers NO - for Client Collaboration = YES !

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostrider
I know that a computer with Windows 2000 Server is slower than a computer with Windows 2000 Professional. No wonder - the server-version is running much more tasks in the backgroud.

Regards,
Ghostrider
Hmmm, I have found the exact opposite. However, I'm using Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I have always found 2000 Pro to be a dawg compared to AS. However, here's something to consider, w2k pro and w2k standard server can be switched between each other by making a few registry changes. You can't do that with Advanced Server. What are you basing this 'slowest' on might be something to better to compare against. I have found 2000 Pro to be slow for database work whereas Advanced Server is much better. Now if you are comparing say video encoding then I would have to say, use a pro OS, not a server. I think we both think that way though.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:03 AM   #30
Ghostrider

Re: Re: Re: Server 2k3 vs XP Pro for Gamers NO - for Client Collaboration = YES !

Quote:
Originally posted by pointreyes
Hmmm, I have found the exact opposite. However, I'm using Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I have always found 2000 Pro to be a dawg compared to AS. However, here's something to consider, w2k pro and w2k standard server can be switched between each other by making a few registry changes. You can't do that with Advanced Server. What are you basing this 'slowest' on might be something to better to compare against. I have found 2000 Pro to be slow for database work whereas Advanced Server is much better. Now if you are comparing say video encoding then I would have to say, use a pro OS, not a server. I think we both think that way though.
Well, I never tried database work on W2k pro and/or W2k Server... Maybe my experiences of "slow" W2k server were caused by the network configuration of the server... I should have compared the performance on the same computer using pro and server. Well... Don't mind. *g*
Server 2003 seems to be very "efficient" in case of memory usage! I was very surprised that my system used less memory running Server2003 EnterpriseEdition than my other computer running WindowsXP Pro.
I'll reinstall and retest everything after I RMA'ed my mainboard ... I'll send it back to my dealer today... I hope that the new board will arrive soon X-Mas, new-year... and I have to RMA a mainboard