ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 09-01-2003, 02:16 PM   #16
FB

oh, so it is like a normal install after you pick the partion to install to?

(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 09-01-2003, 03:30 PM   #17
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally posted by flyboy -|-+
oh, so it is like a normal install after you pick the partion to install to?
That's the way I've understood it, yes. The Setup Manager tool that can be used to create the winnt.sif file that includes the different settings used in the unattended install only convers the input you give it during the graphical part of the install, i.e. from the part where you accept the EULA.

This is what you can change with the MS tool. You can add drivers and hotfixes too, using the methods described at the site Gorgo linked to.

-kONGO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
Old 09-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #18
FB

where do you download that?

Old 09-01-2003, 04:06 PM   #19
Miles

You can get it here

Miles

Intel 4690k| ASUS Z97 sabertooth| 16GB Kingston DDR3|ASUS GTX 970|Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD | 1 - Seagate 2 TB Barracuda ES | Seasonic 650 watt Gold PSU|Fractal Design Arc Midi rev 2| Windows 7 64-bit Professional | Eizo CX-241
Old 09-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #20
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Or extract it from the cabinet file on the XP Pro CD (path is Support\Tools\deploy.cab).

-kONGO

Use
-

Old 09-01-2003, 04:15 PM   #21
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

And in case it's not clear, the file placed in the i386 folder of the XP install CD must be named winnt.sif, not unattended.txt. Otherwise it'll be no worky on the automation.

-kONGO

Use
-

Old 09-01-2003, 05:13 PM   #22
Gorganzola

Paragon,

If you follow that guide and read it through you will find everything you need. The person who put it together did a really nice job.

About the only thing he could have done better was the finding of the hotfixes section.

I wasn't asleep at the switch, I was drunk. -- Homer J. Simpson

Q. How many dull people does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. One.

A very useful tool on these forums:

You can
in public.

Old 09-01-2003, 05:18 PM   #23
FB

Quote:
Originally posted by Gorganzola
Paragon,

If you follow that guide and read it through you will find everything you need. The person who put it together did a really nice job.

About the only thing he could have done better was the finding of the hotfixes section.
was that for me, or paragon?

Old 09-02-2003, 06:42 AM   #24
Gorganzola

Oops, sorry that was for you. Thanks for catching it.

The information to make it all work is in there. It has taken me a bit to decipher things and understand them and extend them fit my needs.

One of the things I noted was that if you have the partitions already made then you want to put:

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
Repartition=No
NtUpgrade=No
OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\ATI\CATALYST3_6\2KXP_INF;drivers\ATI\TV-CAPTURE-WDM\WDM_XP"

the Repartition=No into your winnt.sif in the Unattended section.

Edit:

Before I forget, sorry for the confusion flyboy-|-+ and sorry to Paragon.

flyboy-|-+, please don't see my response as ragging on you, just trying to help by pointing out that the article does answer your question. The person provided links to anything that was freely available on the respective pages for the item that was being covered.

Quote:
Originally posted by flyboy-|-+
was that for me, or paragon?

A. One.

You can
in public.

Last edited by Gorganzola; 09-02-2003 at 07:15 AM..
Old 09-02-2003, 06:48 AM   #25
Gorganzola

I also discovered how you are supposed to go about including drivers during the text mode setup. Specifically I didn't want to have to bother putting in that damned floppy every time I wanted to install the drivers for my TX2000.

http://www.spc.int/it/TechHead/unatt...third_part.htm

That site helped confirm the way I was going about it and gave me links to Knowledge Base articles that helped further.

One thing is that for textmode drivers, you HAVE to put them in the folder:

1) \i386\$OEM$\TEXTMODE

Compare this to the stuff that is being done in the article and you will see it is being put in:

2) \$OEM$\$1\install; and

3) \$OEM$\$1\drivers

I almost made the mistake of putting the drivers in spot 3).

A. One.

You can
in public.

Last edited by Gorganzola; 09-02-2003 at 07:16 AM..
Old 09-02-2003, 07:27 AM   #26
francopoli

I knew about the Textmode drivers, and have done that before. But the other stuff on the site rules. I now have an install disk with ALL THe hot fixes and patches as of yesterday. As I do about 20 Windows installs a month, this is gonna help out a ton!
Old 09-02-2003, 07:30 AM   #27
francopoli

Quote:
Originally posted by kONGO
As far as I've understood things, it will be unattended from the point of selecting partition on which to install the OS (i.e. you won't need to input language settings and other boring bits of information).

That is, you select the partition and away she goes, finishing with a patched XP version (in case you choose to slipstream all patches also, of course)...

-kONGO
YOu can also force the drive partitioning. Easiest way to do it is as follows:

[Data]
AutoPartition=1
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
Repartition=yes

The AutoPartition=1 HAS TO BE THERE. Also the repartition, else you will be asked. Doing this, you boot to the CD, and come back to an OS fully installed.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #28
iMogal
Zoom Zoom...

Quick question... I have 3 partitions on the HDD that will have winXP installed. I want "C:\" to have windows installed to, and the other two partitions untouched.

So what I'm looking for, is for windows NOT to partition the drive, but wipe "C:\" then install the OS to the "C:\" partition.
------------
Repartition=No
NtUpgrade=No
------------
Are these the two commands to do that?

SilverStone TJ-08
MAXIMUS VI GENE mATX
Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)
2x4Gb G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10D-8GTX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-2400 CL10
OCZ Vertex 3 - 128Gb
WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB
AMD Radeon HD 7950 GPU
Corsair HX620 Modular PSU
Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW (x2)
Monsoon MM-700 2.1 Speakers
Old 09-02-2003, 11:57 AM   #29
FB

Quote:
Originally posted by iMogal
Quick question... I have 3 partitions on the HDD that will have winXP installed. I want "C:\" to have windows installed to, and the other two partitions untouched.

So what I'm looking for, is for windows NOT to partition the drive, but wipe "C:\" then install the OS to the "C:\" partition.
------------
Repartition=No
NtUpgrade=No
------------
that was my question as well, but to be on the safe side, i am going to leave that option up to me, and do the rest automatically

Old 09-02-2003, 04:03 PM   #30
francopoli

Quote:
Originally posted by iMogal

------------
Repartition=No
NtUpgrade=No
------------
I would assume so.. However if you are that concerned about it, I'd leave that for manual operation. If i get a chance, I'm going to play with it tonight (I got a few CD-RW so all I have to do is change the .sif and .bat files instead of waste a disk) and see what happens.

But I think that you are correct.