ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 07-11-2001, 07:47 AM   #1
Ben Ifin

TUSL2-C PCI Slot/IRQ sharing info please..

Hi all !

I have a few questions please re: the TUSL2-C board.

The PCI/IRQ sharing table in the manual confuses me a bit. Obvioulsy "shared" means shared - as in PCI Slot 1 shares it hardware IRQ assignment with PCI Slot 5.

But....what does "used" mean ? For example, does "used" mean that PCI Slot 2 does OR does NOT share its hardware IRQ with anything else ??

Also, does anybody know if the following "features" can be disabled either by jumpers on the board or in the bios:-

- CNR LAN
- CNR Audio/Modem
- USB HCO
- USB HC1

Thanks, Ben
PS:- Apart from the 512 meg ram limit, this looks like a KILLER board
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 09-08-2001, 11:50 PM   #2
stoney blue

BUMP - same question plus sound card - TUSL2-C

I would also be interested in an answer to this same question.

In addition, what slot would be used for the sound card? All slots are listed as shared in the manual, with the exception of #2, which is the one in question. The TB Santa Cruz sound card is suposed to go in an unshared slot. What am I missing?

TIA
Old 09-10-2001, 12:13 AM   #3
dddibley
Time well wasted

The way I see it, slot sharing becomes redundant once you start assigning IRQs in the BIOS ( Advanced.. PCI Configuration ). 'PCI/PNP IRQ Resource Exclusion' will keep it from being shared.

Most common setups would use PCI Slots 2, 4, 6 and give each one an appropriate IRQ.

eg.

Capture = IRQ10

NIC/modem = IRQ3 (disable COM2)

Sound = IRQ5 (DOS Emulation shares Printer IRQ7)

USB Controllers (2442, 2444) can also be disabled in the BIOS (Advanced.. PCI Configuration), but not seperately. Device Manager can though. (Advanced.. I/O Device Configuration) has controls for onboard sound, video etc.

Hope that helps.

ddd
Old 09-10-2001, 04:39 PM   #4
stoney blue

DD, thanks for the reply.

I put the sound card in slot 4 and assigned it IRQ 5. I think it installed OK.

Installed 3COM modem in slot 6 and assigned it IRQ 4, COM1. I must have done something wrong. When I click on add new hardware it says the device is installed but it has a problem. Next box says there is a hardware conflict (Code 15). I go to troubleshooting and under resources tab, dialogue box for conflicting device list indicates there are no conflicts?

Troubleshooter takes me to the point that if there are no conflicts, I am looking at resources for wrong device, or restart computer. I don't know what else I would be looking at and restarting doesn't help. Anyway, I can only assume there is still a problem. I have COM 2 Xed out. I have changed the settings in the BIOS from assigned, to auto and that didn't help.

I also seeemed to have problems getting the drivers installed too. Windows set it up, but not certain that it will work at this point with the conflict message showing up.

I don't know what I have screwed up. Any suggestions?

TIA
Old 09-10-2001, 07:14 PM   #5
dddibley
Time well wasted

Well.. things to try

Pull the power cord.

Swap the sound card and modem (Slots 4, 6). Reassign Slot 6 to IRQ5.

In the 'Boot' menu, let the BIOS lock in the IRQ assignments by choosing [No] for Plug and Play (PnP) OS.. Choosing [Yes] lets Windows scramble the IRQ assignments, which it apparently isn't doing so well. Disable 'Boot Virus Detection' while you're there.

If you're using a COM1 device (mouse), then change the modem IRQ to 3 since you've already disabled COM2. Otherwise, disable COM1 also. Reason is modems have their own COM designation (3, 4, even 5, which will share IRQs with the mobo COM1 and 2). Enabling even or odd COMs can cause conflicts. I like using IRQ3 because I can enable COM1 in a crunch, without having to move things around again (usually).

COM 1/3 = IRQ4
COM 2/4 = IRQ3

Device Manager is a good place to check for IRQ sharing. Right click 'My Computer' on the desktop and select Properties. Hit the Device Manager tab and double click 'Computer' (on the very top of the list). Make sure the Interrupt Request (IRQ) radio button is enabled. Lots of info on resources here. Sound or modem IRQs being shared?

Drivers. The system doesn't know what a PCI device is until the driver installation. They usually show up as question marks in Device Manager (Serial device etc). Hope you have the latest Intel INF drivers (Installation Utility) too !!

A list of components and your current IRQ assignments in Device Manager would be helpful now.

ddd

Last edited by dddibley; 09-10-2001 at 07:22 PM..
Old 09-13-2001, 12:18 PM   #6
stoney blue

DDD, been caught up in the NY & DC events. Tragic, and leaves me very uncomfortable as to what the future may present for us and our children.

Per your post:

<Swap the sound card and modem (Slots 4, 6).> Done
< Reassign Slot 6 to IRQ5.> Done

<In the 'Boot' menu, let the BIOS lock in the IRQ assignments by choosing [No] for Plug and Play (PnP) OS.>. BIOS was previously set at NO.

<Disable 'Boot Virus Detection' while you're there.> Previously disabled.

<If you're using a COM1 device (mouse), then change the modem IRQ to 3 since you've already disabled COM2.> Changed to IRQ3 - COM2 was previously disabled.

<Otherwise, disable COM1 also. Reason is modems have their own COM designation (3, 4, even 5, which will share IRQs with the mobo COM1 and 2). Enabling even or odd COMs can cause conflicts. I like using IRQ3 because I can enable COM1 in a crunch, without having to move things around again (usually).

COM 1/3 = IRQ4
COM 2/4 = IRQ3>

Now I am confused - note IRQ3 = COM2, above you said using COM1 device, change IRQ modem to 3 which I did.

<Device Manager is a good place to check for IRQ sharing. Right click 'My Computer' on the desktop and select Properties. Hit the Device Manager tab and double click 'Computer' (on the very top of the list). Make sure the Interrupt Request (IRQ) radio button is enabled. Lots of info on resources here. Sound or modem IRQs being shared?>

<A list of components and your current IRQ assignments in Device Manager would be helpful now.>

IRQ Exceptions from standard as noted in TUSL2-C manual:

03 ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering
04 Nothing shown
05 Santa Cruz PCI Audio Accelerator
09 INTEL 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444
09 INTEL 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
09 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI steering
09 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI steering
09 SCI IRQ used by ACPI Bus
10 INTEL 82801 BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2443
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI steering
11 Standard PCI graphics Adapter (VGA)
14 INTEL 8201 BA ULTRA ATA Storage Controller - 244B
14 Primary IDE controller (dual FIFO)
15 INTEL 8201 BA ULTRA ATA Storage Controller - 244B
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual FIFO)

<Drivers. The system doesn't know what a PCI device is until the driver installation. They usually show up as question marks in Device Manager (Serial device etc). Hope you have the latest Intel INF drivers (Installation Utility) too !!> Loaded INF drivers from Asus M/B CD.

Under tree directory there is a question mark for "Other devices" & "PCI Serial Controller."

Since I made the changes COM1 is now disabled and COM2 is active.

When asked to load new hardware - the drivers for modem could not be found? Floppy that came with modem was in A: and dialogue box was checked to look there?

We are now at this point having done nothing else other than the above instructions.

Let me know what you think, no hurry, I have been jacking with this for months. Of course it would be nice to be able to make use of my "investment" some day.-g-

TIA
Old 09-13-2001, 07:12 PM   #7
dddibley
Time well wasted

Hey 'stoney blue'. You're almost there

Everything appears normal. The question mark 'PCI Serial Controller' in Device Manager is likely the modem and needs software (double click.. Properties.. Driver tab.. Update Driver). There are generally two types of driver loads.. the INF file with DLLs etc or an executable (EXE). If the system can't find the files it needs when pointed to the proper directory then it's probably the latter. Just run the EXE file from the floppy. The manufacturer will likely have updated drivers available on their website. (usually EXE)

Only questions left are what kind of mouse you have (Serial/PS2/USB) and if a printer is installed. IRQ7 (printer) and IRQ12 (PS/2 mouse) are unresolved. Both can be enabled/disabled in the BIOS.

Sorry for the COM/IRQ confusion. Normally, the mobo COM1 gets IRQ4 and COM2 gets IRQ3 when they're enabled. Disabling the COMs in the BIOS doesn't take out the IRQs, but rather allows them to be assigned to other controllers/devices. A modem (serial device) has a COM port of it's own. Since odd COM ports generally use IRQ4 and even ones use IRQ3.. if you set the modem to IRQ3, disable COM2. IRQ4?.. disable COM1. If you don't have anything plugged into the mobo COMs, disable them both.

ddd
Old 09-13-2001, 07:23 PM   #8
SKI
Comms Moderator

Hey Stoney,

The war goes on, eh? Here's a couple of things to look at... (as noted above, you can do the first 3 in BIOS)

Go ahead and enable COM1. I like to have one available too, just in case I need it. It should get IRQ4 reassigned if you release it in BIOS.

Leave COM2 disabled, as you don't need it.

Release the IRQ you have assigned to your modem and let it use a shared IRQ. I've been running a 3Com winmodem with no probs using a shared IRQ. If this gives you trouble, assign IRQ3 (which is the IRQ normally assigned to COM2/4).

QUOTE: Installed 3COM modem in slot 6 and assigned it IRQ 4, COM1. I must have done something wrong. When I click on add new hardware it says the device is installed but it has a problem. ENDQUOTE. This happened because COM1 and your modem were both trying to use IRQ4 exclusively.

You might try avoiding the device driver wizard that starts automatically when Windows detects new hardware (you can select cancel). On occasion I've had to do this. Let the PC finish booting, and do a manual driver install from within Device Manager (system properties). You do this by locating the specific device (your modem, for instance) and selecting 'Properties". Locate the "Update Driver..." button and accept the default selections until you get to the page that starts "Windows will search for updated drivers...". Uncheck everything EXCEPT "Specify a location" and enter the path to the driver you want to use. This should look something like "A:\drivers\Win98\" if you've got a 3COM driver floppy. Click next and see how it goes. Alternatively, you might try selecting "CD-ROM drive" and inserting your Windows CD. You can use Windows Explorer to locate drivers if needed: on my win98 upgrace cd there is a whole driver directory which has a lot of 3COM modem drivers.

Try removing the devices marked with the question marks in Device Manager, reboot your rig and let Windows redetect the devices.

What can I say...at least Windows loads now... :eek:

Old 09-14-2001, 05:02 PM   #9
stoney blue

DD, Ski,

COM1 is now IRQ4, COM2 disabled. Modem appears to be installed. Shows to use MSFT drivers? I cannot load 3COM drivers from floppy. When I try, I get illegal operation message.

Removed PCI serial controller. Now everytime I boot it shows dialogue box "Windows has found new hardware & is locating software (PCI serial controller)."

When I continue on to load software for whatever this is looking for, I get drivers not found. Obviously I did not remove this correctly, or if it referring to the modem, I still have something screwed up?

Sorry for being so obtuse, but I wouldn't trust taking this in to anyone around here, they are not any smarter than me and that's not saying much. I have another PC that is sitting with the cover off since just after the first of the year, (cover can't be installed because it wont boot if it is) that has modem problems among others - (all external connectors have to be removed and reinstalled if PC is shutdown). I took it in to be upgraded, but that is another story (nightmare) and the reason I am trying to put my own together.

TIA

Later
Old 09-14-2001, 05:40 PM   #10
dddibley
Time well wasted

Hopefully you have the correct drivers for your OS. You can find them here..

http://www.usrobotics.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

The product code is on the back of the card. Type it into the Search feature if it isn't listed.

Found new ones for mine and they included both types of installs (INF files and Setup.exe). As 'SKI' reiterates, best place to load them is through Device Manager.

ddd
Old 09-14-2001, 07:13 PM   #11
SKI
Comms Moderator

Hey Stoney,

Just had a thought... Have you installed your INF drivers yet? If not, do it now, see pg 80 of your TUSL2-C manual, "INF Update Utility for Intel 815 Chipset". This may be causing your PCI serial controller prob.

As for the modem, DDD has suggested the preferred method for getting & loading the driver files. You might try to run with the MSFT drivers just for the heck of it: if you get full function you could probably skip the USR drivers with no ill effects. They can be updated anytime.

Have a good weekend, man!