ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-06-2004, 12:29 PM   #16
JoeBar
Bite me if u can...

Want more...
Keep us updated m8!
2 x 1GB Transcend DDR2-533 @ 770mhz
2 x 36.7GB Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 | 300GB Western Digital Caviar SE SATA
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtrememusic combined with Cambridge Soundworks Megaworks 550 THX
Asus E616P3 DVD | Asus 1608-P DVD-RW
Thermaltake Kandalf black super tower with 4 x 120mm and 2 x 90mm blue led fans | Chieftec 550W Triple 12V rails - 120mm fan
(Offline)  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #17
Phalanx28
I don't know a damn thing

Quote:
Originally posted by XJ.
Well, the quip I've heard, regarding the shink to 90nm and below "quantum physics is real"
It sure is.
(Offline)  
Old 02-06-2004, 01:34 PM   #18
Kawaiitenshi

Small update

Thanks for tips hotcpu, if I run into problems I'll be sure to try without NICs =)

I've been playing all evening and 3.78GHz seems stable so far, after this burn-in period I'll try lowering the core voltage a bit.
Temps are still 50-51C.

The real news is that a friend of mine bought today a new cooler for his 2.8G Northwood, a chinese(?) medium-sized full copper heat sink with quite thick fins and a cheap 2 watt 80mm fan.

He aims for low sound but let's see how it handles the 90nm generation! The water cooling results are with the 700L/h pump.

First try-> (FSB/Mhz/vCore)
233/3260/1.450
Water: 42C
Air: 57-58C

A couple of quick passes of 3DMark2003 passed fine.

Second try->
250/3500/1.525
Water: 48-49C
Air: 65-67C

~50% boots into Windows but not stable, ~50% reboots

Third try:
270/3780/1.550
Water: 54-55C
Air: Temp climbed to over 70C very quickly and computer crashed..

Barely had time to see BIOS temperatures, I cut power when I saw 72C+

After testing the heat sink was VERY hot, I couldn't touch it with my bare fingers!

My quick conclusion is that for air cooling that doesn't sound like a jet engine I would not even consider a Prescott at the moment.

I really wonder how Intel manages to cool those 3.6's coming this year.. water blocks on Intel retail boxes?
(Offline)  
Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #19
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx28
Though they probably had Prescott on the drawing board for a few years, it's hard not to say that adding 512KB L2 cache to Northwood and a shrink wouldn't have been a not-so-bad idea.

Of couse, there's probably a reason I don't work for Intel.
Yeah, Prescott should've been 3-4 years in the making, especially considering the fact that there is Yamhill stuff in it (the second integer unit and how it's laid out next to the currently used one screams 64-bit). Slapping on pipeline stages and adding new SSE instructions isn't something you just press "add functionality" in the CAD program, and presto, you have the design .

Prescott for µPGA478 isn't the CPU to invest in, anyway. It's the LGA775 CPUs you should set your aim for, there it will have an upgrade path, and a platform designed for it and for the future.

Also, something many seem to forget, Prescott has never been pushed as the next big thing from Intel, at least not at the lower speeds. Intel's marketing has been very limited before the launch, and still is. It's a core redesign required to reach higher clock speeds, and when it does, there it will truly flex it's muscles. Remember Willamette at 1.4GHz...and look at the P4 now.

Yeah, the physics involved with sub-micron chips are a PITA, electrons tunneling where you don't want them (gate oxide) and all sorts of nasty things. Anyone who has a chance to take an undergraduate course in digital integrated circuits or similar should, I did so last fall and it was very fun and enlightening. One really appreciates the time and effort Intel, AMD and other semicon companies put into new products.

-kONGO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Feeling multicore elation? Remember this correlation:
(Offline)  
Old 02-06-2004, 03:46 PM   #20
Elixir

Kawaiitenshi: Where did you get that cpu from?
As far as I know, no finnish distributor have any Prescotts in stock. Of did you order that cpu from internet?
(Offline)  
Old 02-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #21
XJ.

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by kONGO
Yeah, Prescott should've been 3-4 years in the making, especially considering the fact that there is Yamhill stuff in it (the second integer unit and how it's laid out next to the currently used one screams 64-bit). Slapping on pipeline stages and adding new SSE instructions isn't something you just press "add functionality" in the CAD program, and presto, you have the design .

LoL! Kinda interesting, Northwood had a doubled pumped 16b pipelined ALU, best I remember. Now they have a normally clocked 32b ALU and what looks like another hanging right next to it. Seems like a brilliant but very cautious company. And yeah, not as much in the way of standard cell use in µPs.

Quote:
Yeah, the physics involved with sub-micron chips are a PITA, electrons tunneling where you don't want them (gate oxide) and all sorts of nasty things. Anyone who has a chance to take an undergraduate course in digital integrated circuits or similar should, I did so last fall and it was very fun and enlightening. One really appreciates the time and effort Intel, AMD and other semicon companies put into new products.
Take semiconductor physics instead

me <- bs physics

(Offline)  
Old 02-06-2004, 06:56 PM   #22
NeoXtremeX
The_Ace

Elixir, he works at a company and he was given it for he to "test" it.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:25 AM   #23
Smooth Criminal

Newegg has the 2.8E in stock $185.
(Offline)  
Old 02-07-2004, 12:52 AM   #24
daos

Intel needs to go ahead and implement tri-gate transistor technology. that should cure most of the leakage issues and allow them to reduce the overall heat dissipation. anyone know of when they are due to implement TGTT?
(Offline)  
Old 02-07-2004, 03:35 AM   #25
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally posted by XJ.
Take semiconductor physics instead

Somehow I think the linear/sat/vel.sat trannie model is enough for a M.Sc. in Comp.Sci. and Tech. like me . Although I took a modern physics course, albeit not being centered around semiconductors only, playing with Schrödinger's equation was fun.

-kONGO

Use
-

(Offline)  
Old 02-07-2004, 04:16 AM   #26
sk1ll`Raul

I hope you can break 4GHz gogo
hd: 2x Raptor 36GB (Raid0), 2x usb2.0 160GB HD, 1x usb2.0 120GB HD
gfx: HIS Radeon9800pro
cooling: cpu 1A-HV, nb graph-O-mat rev.2, gfx ati-cool-matic, 2x inno-dual-radi
www.pc4all.ch
(Offline)  
Old 02-07-2004, 06:16 AM   #27
BBThumper
Happy, Joyous and Free

......not looking pretty if your on air:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...threadid=28572
2 x 2gig pc26400
Nvidia 8400
2 x Raptors in Raid 0

......My City's moto: Welcome to Philly, now get the heck out!!!!!!!
(Offline)  
Old 02-07-2004, 07:22 AM   #28
NeoXtremeX
The_Ace

hes using watercooling
Old 02-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #29
XJ.

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by kONGO

Somehow I think the linear/sat/vel.sat trannie model is enough for a M.Sc. in Comp.Sci. and Tech. like me . Although I took a modern physics course, albeit not being centered around semiconductors only, playing with Schrödinger's equation was fun.

-kONGO
Sounds like you took a better hardware course than I did working on my MSCS. I didn't finish though, 80% complete, took some time off, the required courses changed (so now I'm only 50% complete and my registration was "lost", so I can't be grandfathered ).

Quantum mech was the best class I ever took, and I had Jochen Heisenberg as my prof

(Offline)  
Old 02-07-2004, 12:47 PM   #30
k0NG0
Remembering TQ

Quote:
Originally posted by XJ.
Sounds like you took a better hardware course than I did working on my MSCS. I didn't finish though, 80% complete, took some time off, the required courses changed (so now I'm only 50% complete and my registration was "lost", so I can't be grandfathered ).

Quantum mech was the best class I ever took, and I had Jochen Heisenberg as my prof
Yeah, it was pretty good. I liked it a lot. It basically covered the transistor model, with currents and all that, up to clocked circuit design in CMOS, together with elements on more general design, design for testability and complex circuits such as adders/multipliers. Too bad the lecturers sucked, one of them was Polish and said "either" instead of "too", which annoyed the heck out of me. (It was taught in English since it's a part of an exchange student Masters programme we have here - lots of Chinese students took it).

"I am Polish, and my wife is Polish either."

-kONGO

Use
-

(Offline)