ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #31
bigtoe
here to help

Going to stick this one for a while guys...keep the info flowing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It may have already been answered!!!
(Offline)  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-07-2004, 10:21 PM   #32
BBThumper
Happy, Joyous and Free

.....we cannot judge Prescott on 3 to 4 users. We need to wait and see more......
2 x 2gig pc26400
Nvidia 8400
2 x Raptors in Raid 0

......My City's moto: Welcome to Philly, now get the heck out!!!!!!!
(Offline)  
Old 02-08-2004, 03:07 AM   #33
jarett

question will a prescott work in a p4c800 and are they better than northwoods for gaming ?
(Offline)  
Old 02-08-2004, 03:34 AM   #34
SupDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by jarett
question will a prescott work in a p4c800 and are they better than northwoods for gaming ?
yes and no
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)  
Old 02-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #35
Kawaiitenshi

More to come tomorrow..

Sad news, I upped the FSB to 278 and Windows booted fine, I was going to do some stress testing but bad luck striked; one of my drives failed with a nasty clicking sound and as users of RAID-5 arrays know running with one drive failed is not a wise thing to do..

Unfortunately I happen to live in a society where keeping stores open is forbidden one and a half days every week (and after 9pm) due to some ancient dead guy who presumedly didn't like the idea of freedom, though torturing and killing those who don't believe those ancient fairy tales was not just fine but a glorious task.

He was right about one thing though, even at the modern age of firearms a man kneeled down with his hands crossed if powerless to fight his opressors even if he was smart enough to see through the good ol' carrot-and-a-stick subjugation method.

So, 3.9GHz tests next week, check alt.comp.hcoc for more HardCore OverClocking =)
(Offline)  
Old 02-08-2004, 07:07 PM   #36
Phalanx28
I don't know a damn thing

Quote:
Originally posted by kONGO
Yeah, Prescott should've been 3-4 years in the making, especially considering the fact that there is Yamhill stuff in it (the second integer unit and how it's laid out next to the currently used one screams 64-bit). Slapping on pipeline stages and adding new SSE instructions isn't something you just press "add functionality" in the CAD program, and presto, you have the design .
While I was still in CC a few years back, my frequent lab partner's son had just started his initial tenure at Intel*. His second round at Oregon's R&D had him working on the Prescott project analyzing over a million 'hot spots' of the die with the interest of redesigning the logic to either use less or more efficient gates.

I never really pressed for info (shame on me), but as his father explained it, the main concern was to curb clock throttling. Of course, problems with the 90nm process and 64-bit extensions were practically nonexistent at the time. I had always thought Prescott would have just been a Northwood++, as Northwood was Willamette++.

Quote:
Prescott for µPGA478 isn't the CPU to invest in, anyway. It's the LGA775 CPUs you should set your aim for, there it will have an upgrade path, and a platform designed for it and for the future.
I agree. The only caveat I would add to that advice would be to see how costly DDR-II is going to be in 2-3 months. Mid-Summer may be a better time to jump in the Socket T pond.

Quote:
Also, something many seem to forget, Prescott has never been pushed as the next big thing from Intel, at least not at the lower speeds. Intel's marketing has been very limited before the launch, and still is. It's a core redesign required to reach higher clock speeds, and when it does, there it will truly flex it's muscles. Remember Willamette at 1.4GHz...and look at the P4 now.
You're right, but at the same time, they have a new core hot on the heels or Prescott (pun semi-intended) in the form of Tejas. Regardless of how Prescott performs now or will perform when it scales, Intel's always been keen on replacing Prescott within a short period of time.

And when you throw Nehalem into the mix, a new microarchitecture, perhaps Prescott's place in their roadmap is strictly as a cheap-to-produce placeholder for Tejas. Tejas might be the ultimate NetBurst incarnation.

I don't even know what I am talking about anymore.

* As I understand it, when engineers begin working at Intel they have a mandatory 'four station rotation' (my term, not theirs) in which they work on different projects and different aspects of the design process. At the end of the tenure, they are allowed to pick where they want to focus their work.
(Offline)  
Old 02-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #37
Phalanx28
I don't know a damn thing

Re: More to come tomorrow..

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawaiitenshi
Sad news, I upped the FSB to 278 and Windows booted fine, I was going to do some stress testing but bad luck striked; one of my drives failed with a nasty clicking sound and as users of RAID-5 arrays know running with one drive failed is not a wise thing to do..
That's too bad. I can't wait to see the results once you get back up and running.
(Offline)  
Old 02-09-2004, 12:23 AM   #38
AlvoMod

Re: More to come tomorrow..

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawaiitenshi

Unfortunately I happen to live in a society where keeping stores open is forbidden one and a half days every week (and after 9pm) due to some ancient dead guy who presumedly didn't like the idea of freedom, though torturing and killing those who don't believe those ancient fairy tales was not just fine but a glorious task.

He was right about one thing though, even at the modern age of firearms a man kneeled down with his hands crossed if powerless to fight his opressors even if he was smart enough to see through the good ol' carrot-and-a-stick subjugation method.

So, 3.9GHz tests next week, check alt.comp.hcoc for more HardCore OverClocking =)
sorry but dont know what cooling solution are you using?

(Offline)  
Old 02-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #39
NeoXtremeX
The_Ace

Hes using watercooling..
Old 02-10-2004, 02:31 AM   #40
Mach_abx
Overclocker

Hey all just an FYI. I think I may have a 3.2E on the way. I found a guy on EBAY who says he has them (i know yes EBAY). I Paid 312.00 shipped 2 day Fedex for a OEM. He sounded legit and I paid through Paypal with my credit card (so I am covered if he is full of sh^t). He said it will be in the mail tomorrow and I will have it Thurs. Take it for what it is worth. I got sick of waiting so I had to do something. Here is the Ebay Link:3.2E"bay"
Drop my Ebay name Chadtheff if you order one and tell him he needs to give me some kickback for turning you all to him

Last edited by Mach_abx; 02-10-2004 at 02:37 AM..
(Offline)  
Old 02-10-2004, 02:36 AM   #41
Sierra_abx

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach
Drop my Ebay name Chadtheff if you order one and tell him he needs to give me some kickback for turning you all to him
(Offline)  
Old 02-10-2004, 02:37 AM   #42
Mach_abx
Overclocker

Quote:
Originally posted by sierra_bound
Gotta try to get somethin, hehehe
(Offline)  
Old 02-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #43
althes
I am at work.

Has anyone tried them on an AI7.
Who shall be the next brave soul to get one and try it on air only.
(Offline)  
Old 02-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #44
Mach_abx
Overclocker

My 3.2E is en route (i just tracked it by fedex). I will have it on Thursday by 1630hrs and in my prommy chillin by 1730. I am going to try to give some good stock benches and OC'd benches when I get em.
(Offline)  
Old 02-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #45
BBThumper
Happy, Joyous and Free

....good luck Mach, hope to see you have good results ......
2 x 2gig pc26400
Nvidia 8400
2 x Raptors in Raid 0

......My City's moto: Welcome to Philly, now get the heck out!!!!!!!
(Offline)