ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-05-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
pops

Need Imput on New Build

Hi Guys & Gals, I am back again looking for some imput on a new computer build. Firstly to set the stage for this build I would like to say that my own computer is built on the ASUS P4PE MB and my profile lists the other specs of my setup.
I have a friend that wants a computer like mine and asked me to build it for her so what I need from the forum is imput on what I should use for a MB on this new build including memory type and brand etc. I am using 512MB Corsair XMS PC 3000 an AIW 8500 Video and Santa Cruz sound in a Coolmaster case on my computer.
My need for imput is in the motherboard area and Chipset that I should use now and memory. I have a new spare P4PE-X board unopened that I bought when I thought I might need a back up. Is this board good enough to build on? My friend does not need the latest 865 - 875 Chipset unless I get imput here saying that is the way I should build it but I am limited to $1000.00 and nearly $200 of that is allotted for a Plextor 708a like the one I have and the Coolmaster case that uses up another $130. When you add in XP Pro OEM at $137 and 2 WD HD's like I 'm using w/ 8MB Buffers it is $137 more so I am nearing the limit even without the video so I need to keep the expense down in the CPU and MB area. So people is this board ok or should I opt for a newer Chipset & MB and if I do isn't the newer memory also more expensive?
When I built my computer I paid 200 just for my XMS Corsair DDR and now that it is cheaper I don't really want to buy Twin DDR unless I need to. Hopefully I have explained all I need in this area and that building with this board will be acceptable as it is only 70 bucks spent. Thanks all, Pops.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-05-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
onealien

what will her main uses for it be?

PC in profile courtesy of the great people here!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Have you considered AMD? For budget builds, it will outperform Intel.

The main problem is, even the 533 MHz P4s are still expensive. But the Athlon XPs are very cheap indeed!

If you wanted to stick with Intel, your P4PE-X would work fine. However the ASUS P4G8X (Intel 7205 "Granite Bay" chipset) will outperform it and could be purchased at a significant discount if you look around.

The P4G8X uses dual-channel PC2100 DDR memory, so you don't need to spend a lot on memory. The dual-channel kits can often save you money versus getting two separate sticks. Note, of course, that dual-channel will probably work with two separate sticks as well, provided they're the same make and model.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
wildboar
..Pig Man Charade You are

Re: Need Imput on New Build

Given what you have placed as parameters, it sounds like the P4PE board should do fine.

- Albert Einstein
Old 02-05-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
pops

New Computer Build

Thanks guys for your replies and imput.
Firstly I want to stay with Intel as I no nothing about AMD and I am leary of VIA chipsets having read many stories of conflicts in the past which may all have gone away but I will stay with Intel. The lady friend is a senior citizen as am I and presently uses a Dell P3 866 and wants an upgrade. She has a digital camera and had both a CD-RW and DVD on her present computer and is very much into music and Photos and the making of photo slide shows acompanied by music. She doesn't need a super fast computer but would like one on an equal basis with my P4 and was looking into a Sony Vaioprior to asking me for help. Because she may again upgrade down the road and because I personally believe that you don't build a fine computer and house it in a card board box I opted for the Coolmaster case for myself when I upgraded my Lian Li cased TusL2 and I am steering her to one also.
I thought by sticking with the P4PE MB that she would not be using the dual channel memory that I thought was more costly and will stay with a mid range P4 CPU.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Re: New Computer Build

Quote:
Originally posted by pops
Thanks guys for your replies and imput.
Firstly I want to stay with Intel as I no nothing about AMD and I am leary of VIA chipsets having read many stories of conflicts in the past which may all have gone away but I will stay with Intel. The lady friend is a senior citizen as am I and presently uses a Dell P3 866 and wants an upgrade. She has a digital camera and had both a CD-RW and DVD on her present computer and is very much into music and Photos and the making of photo slide shows acompanied by music. She doesn't need a super fast computer but would like one on an equal basis with my P4 and was looking into a Sony Vaioprior to asking me for help. Because she may again upgrade down the road and because I personally believe that you don't build a fine computer and house it in a card board box I opted for the Coolmaster case for myself when I upgraded my Lian Li cased TusL2 and I am steering her to one also.
I thought by sticking with the P4PE MB that she would not be using the dual channel memory that I thought was more costly and will stay with a mid range P4 CPU.
With AMD boards, you're not limited to VIA. There are very good nForce2 boards out there.

Dual-channel memory (bought in a "dual-channel package") is actually a little cheaper than the same two sticks bought individually. You need two sticks though, but even in single-channel boards this is a good idea, and it only costs a few dollars more than a single stick of twice the capacity.

If you didn't already have a board for an Intel CPU, it would be much cheaper to buy an AMD processor and board. Even the older 533 MHz FSB P4s are still pretty expensive (at least they are here).

Sounds like she'll have a good machine though!
Old 02-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #7
pops

New Computer Build

Thanks for your reply Fraoch I will use the ASUS P4PE-X Board as I am unfamiliar with AMD boards and Chipsets period. I would however like to have some recommendations on what boards to look at for a new build for myself regarding the Athlon 64's.. You mentioned Nvidia or Nforce chipsets so perhaps you could enlighten me on a good stable setup for AMD'S latest CPU along with some insight as to which socket is the way to go as I understand they can use socket " A " or "940". Best regards, Pops

Last edited by pops; 02-06-2004 at 03:55 PM..
Old 02-06-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Re: New Computer Build

Quote:
Originally posted by pops
Thanks for your reply Fraoch I will use the ASUS P4PE-X Board as I am unfamiliar with AMD boards and Chipsets period. I would however like to have some recommendations on what boards to look at for a new build formyself regarding the Athlon 64's.. You mentioned Nvidia or Nforce chipsets so perhaps you could enlighten me on a good stable setip for AMD'S latest CPU. Pops
Glad to help, but unfortunately I'm in the same situation as you. The new Athlon64 stuff is baffling.

My next build is 2+ years away but if Intel continues the path it's going down with Prescott I'll be looking towards AMD.

From what I understand AMD will be changing sockets frequently for about a year or so and it would be best to wait until they settle on one first.

Incidentally, nForce2 is made by nVidia. I think there's nForce2 400, which is a single-channel memory chipset, and nForce2 Ultra, which is a dual-channel memory chipset.

But dual-channel memory with AMD doesn't have as large of an impact as it does with Intel because it's forced to run asynchronously due to the FSB bandwidth constraints of the Athlon.

nForce3 is the new one, for Athlon64 I think(?)

Check the AMD forums for more info. I'm well out of my element here. However, I'd love to build a system for my brother consisting of an Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" with an ASUS A7N8X board...but unfortunately I can't convince him to replace his 500 MHz Celeron PC133 SDRAM machine.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #9
Bofinn
I'm gettin' dizzy!

Re: Re: New Computer Build

Quote:
Originally posted by Fraoch
I'd love to build a system for my brother consisting of an Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" with an ASUS A7N8X board...but unfortunately I can't convince him to replace his 500 MHz Celeron PC133 SDRAM machine.
A true geek will never give up!!! All relatives must conform...
Old 02-06-2004, 04:05 PM   #10
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Re: Re: Re: New Computer Build

Quote:
Originally posted by Bofinn
A true geek will never give up!!! All relatives must conform...

I keep trying to convince him that his machine is "broken". Almost thought I had him when he had trouble installing an ATA100 drive using the board's ATA33 controller, but as quick as you can say "backwards compatibility" he got it working.

The most critical use of his machine is word processing. He said to me:

"Will this new machine cause my keystrokes to appear on the screen instantaneously? 'Cause that's what my system does now."

Don't you hate it when someone's right?

He also does more gaming than I do but always buys the cheap 5+ year old games so he doesn't have a problem.

One day even the 5+ year old games won't run in his computer though.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #11
Purple Lizzard

Re: Re: New Computer Build

Quote:
From what I understand AMD will be changing sockets frequently for about a year or so and it would be best to wait until they settle on one first.
Correct and with the new BTX form factor boards & PCI Express i am sitting on the sidelines for the next 6 months.

Quote:
nForce3 is the new one, for Athlon64 I think(?)
Correct again

Quote:
However, I'd love to build a system for my brother consisting of an Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" with an ASUS A7N8X board...but unfortunately I can't convince him to replace his 500 MHz Celeron PC133 SDRAM machine.
Going for 3 in a row
That is my old system that I gave to my daughter and built a clone for my other daughter. Great system for the $

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Intel system: Asus P5E3, Q6600, ATI X3870, (2) Seagate 1000Gb SATA
Current AMD system: Asus A8V Deluxe, A64 X2 4600+, Ocz(2) 512 EL 3200, ATI X1950XT, (2) Seagate 160Gb SATA
Old Intel system:
Asus P4C800 Deluxe, P4 2.4, Corsair(2) 512 3500C2 v1.1, ATI X1950XT, (2) Seagate 400Gb SATA,

Old AMD system: Asus A7N8X Deluxe, XP2600+ FSB333, Corsair Twin1024 3200LL, ATI X800 Pro, Seagate 80Gb,
Old 02-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #12
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: New Computer Build

Quote:
Originally posted by Purple Lizzard
Going for 3 in a row
That is my old system that I gave to my daughter and built a clone for my other daughter. Great system for the $
Hey thanks for the vote of confidence Purple Lizzard! I didn't feel confident with my AMD knowledge (principally AMD64 knowledge) but it's good to know I'm not too far off the mark.

You made my Friday.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:01 PM   #13
pops

New Computer Build

Thanks for all the imput guys I have been tempted many times in building on AMD but I never wanted to deal with the excessive heat problems along with what I read of their Processors being fragile. However it looks like Intel Processors are now running hot from what I read and I am reading alot of watercooling as the next route to take or at least for overclockers.
I guess that waiting for a bit would be advisable and also some research into the AMD Processors is the next stop. Thanks guys.